Do I stand a chance of getting in??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shira

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just want to selfishly throw out this question to anyone who cares to answer. I just had a revelation that I need to follow my dream of being a DO and not let me fears take over. Do I stand a chance of being accepted to DO school or am I setting myself up for disappointment. Here's my background.....I am a 27 year old female Registered Dietitian. Undergrad GPA 3.3, science GPA 3.4. from UW-Madison. I have not taken the MCAT's yet. I have been working for the past 2 years doing nutrition counseling for a food pantry for people w/AIDS. I am also a registered yoga teacher. Recently spent a year as an English Teacher in Thailand and a volunteer on organic farms. I am looking only at DO's schools as it seems to be more alligned w/my passion for holistic healing. I live in Chicago and am primarily interested in CCOM. What do you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the MCAT(get a decent score),impress the admission comittee and you are in!!! Good luck:)

Generally, osteopathic medical schools are looking for a variety of personal qualities in the applicants that they admit to their schools and ultimately, to the osteopathic profession.

In addition, osteopathic medical schools admit a fairly large number of non-traditional students. Typically, these students come to osteopathic medicine as a second career from an amazing number of backgrounds. Osteopathic medical schools have admitted students who have been administrators, managers or executives in business, attorneys, professional musicians, newspaper reporters, and the list goes on. Many of these students have families and some are single parents, certainly a testament to the caring, supportive environment found in osteopathic medical schools. Approximately 20-25 percent of the students in osteopathic medical schools fall into the category of non-traditional students.

-From AACOM web page

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have a lot going for you, Shira ... especially if you can do two things. One, as someone said, get yourself in fighting trim for the MCAT (August is coming up fast!) and kick its booty. Two, develop for yourself a nice, clear, concise statement about why osteopathic medicine, and why at this point in your life. This will not only be handy for those committees, it will give you the calrity and fire you'll need to climb this mountain.

I'm 32, trained as a professional actor, and have NO math & science in my BA degree. I'm volunteering in an ED, trying to find shadowing opportunities... and hope to be ready for applications in 2006! So you are far from the most crazy person here, and your chances are largely what you make them. When you make the decision, grab on and don't let go for anything.

shira...make a plan and stick with. You won't believe how fast the time will go. I'm 38 and starting at UNECOM this summer and I was 32 when I really put my plan in motion. The tone of your posting suggests to me that you will make it. Meet a DO to shadow and cold call if you have to. Your persistence will pay off. Best of luck!

Your question isn't at all selfish, and shows a refreshing realism. From what I've seen at my years at NYCOM (almost done with 3rd year now), you are the prototypical student for which they are looking. I sense a slight wonderment on your part about your age....I assure you this is not an issue. At last check, I believe the average medical student age was 25. I myself entered medical school at age 26, due to "setbacks" from other 'advanced' degrees.

Like the above posters state, be sure to obtain a respectable score on your MCAT. I feel that your GPAs are themselves fine. Your knowledge with nutrition, stressed in various forms in medical school (albeit still not enough) will play as a pertinent positive. In addition, your work as a nutrition counselor for the AIDS patients shows a willingness to work with these types of populations, another great asset to your repertoire. These types of activities are those that weigh heavily on the minds of Osteopathic admissions committies - definately play these up as strengths at interviews.

Your certification as a Yoga instructor again shows an ability to be attuned to not only extracurricular relaxing activities, but also a leadership-type quality/ability in teaching others physical techniques and skills.

The fact that you are interested primarily in Osteopathic medical schools is another advantage you bring to the table. Don't be afraid to voice this in an interview. One word of advice when you do land an interview. I'm not so sure how well-received the term "holistic" has become in the interview environment. Although this may be truly what your background has brought, the term has been the butt of more than one joke by osteopathic professors in the classroom. The basic scenario is one in which an interviewee simply states that they want to get into DO school because they like the osteopathic "holistic" approach to medicine. Lean more toward terms such as "body as a functional unit," and similar styling.

I'm sure you'll do well - best of luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

--eddie

I am a third year at AZCOM (sister school for CCOM) and I have been doing interviews for our school this year. Two of my good friends in my class are dieticians and have worked in the field prior to attending AZCOM. I also worked for two years between undergrad and medical school due to a car accident and 16 months rehab. When I was reading your story you sound exactly like the backgroud I have had the wonderful oppurtunity of interviewing. If this is what you really want to pursue go for it and do not let anything hold you back. Take the MCAT and apply for schools now and just indicate that you are waiting for your scores. Make sure to discuss your career with the interviewing committee and other things you have been involved in that indicate balance and committment. Also do not be afraid to say I am only applying to DO schools (if this is true) and tell a CCOM that they are number one (if this is true only). Be open and honest in your interview and let your personality come through. Our interviews are very laid back and we like the interviewee to feel very comfortable, so we can get a good idea what thier personality is like. Go for it!

Shira......

you sound fairly similar to myself........take the MCAT and obviously do as well as you can.....It sounds like you have a great chance of getting in.

I will be starting at CCOM this Sept.

you can PM me if you want or if you have more questions.

good luck :)

Shira,

Go for it.

I think you have a very good chance of getting in. I certainly don't think your GPA will hold you back as long as you have a MCAT that is at least average and some good LOR's.

I just got into UNECOM 2007 with undergrad scores like yours. I'm 31 yo and have been out of school for 7 years. Because of this, I think the school was willing to overlook some of the low scores on my transcript (academic dismissal in first year of college, ouch).

My recommendations:

1. Find some docs to shadow. I think this is big time important. Try to find some that are grads of the school you are looking at (CCOM?). This will show you whether it's a job you want, show the school your level of commitment and that you are making an informed decision, and will get you some folks to write LORs for you.

2. Take the MCATs in May. Taking them in August puts you behind the eight ball time-wise. You want to get to the admissions office when they have lots of seats left. Study the stategy of the test. Don't waste your time studying the general knowledge crap. You already know that stuff. Most important, RELAX. They are totally trying to psych you out. Fingerprinting, ID cards, hot room, no air; none of this is necessary, but it is a stress test. Just go in and reason out the problems and have a little fun.

3. Make contact with some of your undergrad profs that hopefully remember you. They can be a great source for letters and advice, as the have doubtless recommended other students to med schools.

4. Volunteer whatever time you have left. One night a week in the local ED would be good. This needn't be a learning type position per se, but just something to show, again, your dedication to a life of service.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and Determination alone are omnipotent."
--Calvin Coolidge