do i stand a chance in neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I first authored 3 articles on alzheimer's disease using brain slices and staining them for prostaglandin e synthases with hopkins in mediocre journals such as alzheimer's and dementia. would that help to get into neurosurgery?

I was wondering should I apply again? A few years ago i landed an interview at cornell neurosurgery, but did not make it. a few years before that, I had landed an interview at OHSU.

What does it take for someone like me to get into neurosurgery?
by the way i have low scores like 76,76,79. step 2 second attempt, step 3 third attempt.

or should I not bother anymore.

i grad in '03.

Members don't see this ad.

Truthfully, you're going to have a very hard time. I won't discourage you from trying again if it's your lifelong dream, but a 3rd-time applicant who's 7 years out and has catastrophically low test scores has a very remote chance of even getting interviews, much less matching. Be prepared to spend a lot of money and end up with nothing.

Unfortunately, I have to agree. I'm usually the never-say-never type of applicant, and the remainder of your application sounds strong. But low board scores are a deal-breaker in residencies as competitive as Neurosurgery. With all three of them being rather low, and only after multiple attempts, I'm just not sure how you can explain it away. I wouldn't discourage you from chasing your dreams, but you need to have a backup if it once again does not pan out.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You never know what might tickle a program's fancy, but there are some tried and true methods that will help you get it. With your scores and the number of years you've spent NOT in residency, you have to prove that you've been doing something worthwhile in the last 7 years.

If you like neurological diseases, there are other fields that are more forgiving of their applicants. Neurosurgery is not an option for you, unfortunately. It's not fair, because I don't believe that high board scores = great neurosurgeon, but the reality is what it is. This is a very competitive, very demanding field that doesn't cater to everyone.

You need either a ridiculously good story, and you can try throwing your application in the pile again. But, I would plan on doing something else and applying for it at the same time. Each year that goes by is hurting you.

Good luck, my friend.

Have you considered doing a Neurology residency? You still study the brain and how things work, and Neuros are really needed to treat MS and other other disorders. While I hate to discourage you, Nsurg looks a little too competitive for you - your time might be better spent on something more achievable.