Do I really Have chance of getting in or what shoud I do to Improve!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

go tigers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,
This is my first post and I found this website two days ago and been reading since than and found lot of useful info on this site so Thanks. Sorry for the Long post in Advance.
Here is little background about me and my situation. I am applying for class of 2009.

1) I didn't go to HIGh School In US and moved to US. Then started at a community college and first year took only English As a Second Language classes. This year my GPA was 2.35(hated writing and reading classes).

2) I went to CC for another two years full time and had a GPA of 3.85 there.(only last two years). All of my pre-requisites are taken at community college.

3) Then I transferred to University and Majored in Mechanical Engineering and my first year GPA 2.08. Very Bad year due to personal problems and hated engineering and started hating study after that. I only had one grade less than C and was in Biochemistry "D". Then I decided to change my Major to Chemistry. So my second years took 39 credits(including summer and inludes upper level anatomy, 3XX Microbiology, and Biology LAB, biochem all with A's) and earned GPA of 3.9. Now my GPA at University is only 3.1. I am in my last semester here. I will graduate in December of this year.

So as a Summary
My CC GPA: 3.85(without ESL classes)
My University GPA: 3.1(one year with 2.08)
My Combined total GPA: 3.45(including CC and University)
MY DAT: 20AA/22 TS/ 17 PAT(everything else above 18)
My dental Experience: 45 hours shadowing and continue!

My EC's: Volunteer at hospital for a year(4 hours a week), volunteer for 60 hours at homeless shelter, Was a Math Tutor. Head Lab Tech right now at CC, One Semester of Teaching Schorship Program(basicaly teaching in High School 4 hours a week Under Supervision), Interpreter of My Language in My County, Member of Phi Theta Kappa, One semeter of research(hated it) but nothing published.

I applie to(june 1) Temple, NOVA, Detroit Mercy, U of M(michigan resident but heard they don't like CC pre-requisites), U Pittsberg, Indiana, Tufts, BU, Case Western, UNLV. I really don't want to live in Boston Unless that's the only choice I have.

What are my chances of getting accepted at these schools. I am really worrying my ESL year at CC, My pre-requisites at CC, and my first year at university. Also If anyone here has taken all pre-req's at CC and got accepted can you please list the schools accepted you. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you got a good chance. I am in a similar situation as you and applying right now. I am working full time and been out of school for 1.5 years. As I have seen on SDN, many people have gooten in to really good schools with CC classes. Calculus1, shawnone and many others have gooten into D school with CC education. I am pretty sure there are many people applying this cycle who have many CC classes. I think your DAT is solid, but you have good GPA. Just do well in your last semester and won't have any problems.

I would say you should be able to get interviews...what happens next is up to you. You'll probably have to show them that those ESL grades were flukes and that you are perfectly capable of communicating and interacting with faculty, patients and fellow students....so you're gonna really have to stand out at the interview. talk clearly and be yourself! Looking at your application so far, I would say that would be a big concern. Also what school did you go to when you transfered? that may also play a role in determining how the adcom evaluates your upswing in gpa after the major change.
Another thing would have to be the loads that you had each semester....did you take like 1 upper level bio class and the rest of your classes were like art appreciation (not to offend those that majored in that but just trying to make an example..=oP) or did you have those upper level classes grouped together? obviously having a bunch of hard classes grouped together would help to show that you couan handle the rigorous dental curriculum. that would be another factor that adcoms look at when evaluating gpa's...
good luck with the application process...still a long ways till dec 1st so yeah...just try to relax now and see where the whole process takes ya!!