Do I qualify and advice...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focus30

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

This is my first time visiting the URM forum and am surprised at some of the things I've read with regards to URM... and wonder if I qualify?

Both my parents and all 4 grandparents were born and raised in Rio De Janeiro, BR. I was raised there from 3-13 years of age and Portuguese is my first language. I later learned Spanish and eventually English when I returned to NY. However, I was still born here in the US and wonder if that makes a difference on whether I qualify as a URM? If so, would it be under "hispanic?" (I ask because Brazilians don't consider themselves hispanic.) Also, is there anything different I need to do while applying or is it just check [x] some sort of URM box on the application? Is it true that the "grading standards" for URM are different than those of a "non-URM" applicant? I apologize in advance for all the questions and my visible ignorance...

Some notes:
-30 years old (just wife)
-6 years of USMC
-3.2 UG
-3.4 Sc
-Returned to school and aced just about every course I sat in.
-Ran out of Pre-req's to take so I'm thinking of doing a SMP this Spring. (UMDNJ-Stratford)
-Will likely apply for DO as I don't think I have the numbers for MD schools.
-Pending MCAT's
-Will consider Off shore if I have limited hope.

It seems people are quick to share information here, so I will greatly appreciate any that will feed my hopes and/or guide my energy.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings!

This is my first time visiting the URM forum and am surprised at some of the things I've read with regards to URM... and wonder if I qualify?

Both my parents and all 4 grandparents were born and raised in Rio De Janeiro, BR. I was raised there from 3-13 years of age and Portuguese is my first language. I later learned Spanish and eventually English when I returned to NY. However, I was still born here in the US and wonder if that makes a difference on whether I qualify as a URM? If so, would it be under "hispanic?" (I ask because Brazilians don't consider themselves hispanic.) Also, is there anything different I need to do while applying or is it just check [x] some sort of URM box on the application? Is it true that the "grading standards" for URM are different than those of a "non-URM" applicant? I apologize in advance for all the questions and my visible ignorance...

Some notes:
-30 years old (just wife)
-6 years of USMC
-3.2 UG
-3.4 Sc
-Returned to school and aced just about every course I sat in.
-Ran out of Pre-req's to take so I'm thinking of doing a SMP this Spring. (UMDNJ-Stratford)
-Will likely apply for DO as I don't think I have the numbers for MD schools.
-Pending MCAT's
-Will consider Off shore if I have limited hope.

It seems people are quick to share information here, so I will greatly appreciate any that will feed my hopes and/or guide my energy.

:)

To briefly answer you: No, there is no URM checkbox on AMCAS. You just check off whatever races/ethnicies you are. There is a section that asks whether or not you identify as Hispanic (and I think there may be subgroups you can check under that, but I'm not sure). Then there's a section where you identify as white, black, asian, or other. If you're 30, I'm assuming you've filled out other forms before where you've had some kind of race question. What do you normally put? If I were you, I'd check off what I normally check off, or check other if unsure.

To briefly answer you: No, there is no URM checkbox on AMCAS. You just check off whatever races/ethnicies you are. There is a section that asks whether or not you identify as Hispanic (and I think there may be subgroups you can check under that, but I'm not sure). Then there's a section where you identify as white, black, asian, or other. If you're 30, I'm assuming you've filled out other forms before where you've had some kind of race question. What do you normally put? If I were you, I'd check off what I normally check off, or check other if unsure.

I see! I usually go with Latin/South American if listed. I have pale skin, so white. Not sure if that makes me a URM and wonder if the "standards" are diffent from URM and non-URM applicants... I will keep browsing the forum... but would love additional replys.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see! I usually go with Latin/South American if listed. I have pale skin, so white. Not sure if that makes me a URM and wonder if the "standards" are diffent from URM and non-URM applicants... I will keep browsing the forum... but would love additional replys.

I don't see why you would consider yourself to be Hispanic or a URM. Brazil was colonized by Portugal not Spain. Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish. Most Brazilians do not consider themselves to be Hispanic.

Yes, there is a different set of standards b/w URMs and non-URMs. But if you're not URM, then unfortunately you won't be able to take advantage.

I don't see why you would consider yourself to be Hispanic or a URM. Brazil was colonized by Portugal not Spain. Brazilians speak Portuguese, not Spanish. Most Brazilians do not consider themselves to be Hispanic.

Yes, there is a different set of standards b/w URMs and non-URMs. But if you're not URM, then unfortunately you won't be able to take advantage.

LOL... I'm well aware of the history behind Brazil as I attended school there for 8 years. As I mentioned before, we don't consider ourselves Hispanic, but will almost always report ourselves South/Latin American if it's an option. Haven't see the application, I'm guessing only "hispanic" is listed. I guess it can be argued either way and I really could care less... I just don't want to be looked down upon if I claim to be of Hispanic decent and have no right. Same goes the opposite, if I don't claim and have every right to claim.

From Hispanic vs. Latino: "Persons of Hispanic origin, in particular, were those who indicated that their origin was Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Central or South American, or some other Hispanic origin. It should be noted that persons of Hispanic origin may be of any race.”

:confused: :)

Yeah, it's very confunsing because most forms ask you two questions: Race and ethnicity. The differance between the 2 categories is very confusing, and I'm not sure how they came up with this but the choices for race are:

1. White or Caucasian
2. Black or African American
3. American India
4. Asian

Hispanic is not considered a race, but it is an ethnicity. Now you can be a white hispanic (if your descendants hail from european countries, and in general are of a lighter skin tone) or black hispanic (if your descendants hail from african countries, and in general are of a darker skin tone) Now obviously the skin tone is a tricky subject and cannot be used solely to determine where you fit in. (For example, most Puerto Ricans have african ancestry, yet most of the population is fair-skinned.)

Now Brazil is interesting because it has a a great mixture of both african and european ancestry, and it seems that most people would use their skin color to pick a side.

But in my personal opinion, (and it's just my own, you can take it or leave it) URM here, in the U.S tend to be more african-american people, and hispanics from mexico and central america. The idea is that in the US there are sooooooo many mexicans and central americans and african americans, (and the carribean such as P.R and D. R) that it's a shame that there isn't a good proportion of mexican, central american, and african american doctors to tend to them. Obviously there is a south american population in the US, but it's smaller.

So I would say your spanish would def. be an asset to your application, and for becoming a doctor, but I'm not sure I would label you as a URM.:luck:

Your GPA is not necessarily competitive, but it is OK. You said you returned to school...if you got a 4.0 or near it for the last 30-45 credits that you took, i think schools will definitely be forgiving of that. They will also likely be more lenient on your GPA if your MCAT score is >30. Things that will also help you out greatly will be, what activities do you have? Research? Shadowing experience? Do you have a story to tell about why you're going back to school at 30? Many of the older non-trads (esp at my school) have a lot of great experiences, and they were undoubtedly successful in applying to med schools based on their life experiences. I think that this also gives you a unique edge over those like me that came straight from undergrad. So my advice to everyone is to not only limit yourself to DO schools or the Caribbean for the following reasons:

-If you go to DO school, you'll have to learn Osteopathic Manual Medicine (OMM). Are you familiar with the osteopathic philosophy? Do you have more of an interest in musculoskeletal medicine? If youre not into that, I actually would advise against it, despite the schools being more forgiving of lower GPAs in favor of the look of the whole applicant
-If you apply widely and early, acceptance to an MD school isnt as impossible as you may think, even if you are more concerned with lower numbers. There are many allopathic schools who have lower admissions standards than that benchmark 3.6/30 everyone thinks you need to have (I don't think this, but thats a whole other conversation...) If you dont have a geographic preference, then that may be better for you too (since you have a wife, I understand you may have to have geographic limits)
-If you go to a DO school, politics between the AOA (american osteopathic association) and the LCME makes it more difficult for DOs to even apply to allopathic residencies. Many DOs do it and its not impossible, but youll likely have to take both the COMLEX and the USMLE. Two sets of board exams? I guess only if I have to, thinking about taking the USMLE in June is already giving me a panic attack :scared:
-I have nothing against the Carib, but if you feel like you do need to apply and go, you have to be sure youre going to do well in med school and on the boards. If you are C student and merely pass your boards, you will have an MD, but you will also run the risk of being left with the "bottom of the barrel" for residency positions.
-Its always worth applying just for the heck of it. Don't keep your application out of schools just because you think you wont be competitive. I got into schools that I never thought would take a look at me (Maryland was DEFINITELY one of those schools)

The other posters were right in that they will determine for you whether or not you are a URM. I will say (and I have said in other posts) that I think that the benefit you get from applying as a URM is small anyway. Applying to medical schools too late will quickly overshadow any help being a URM will give you.

So I guess my main point is apply as early as possible, and apply as widely as possible. Whether or not they consider you a URM, you seem to have many unique experiences that will be considered assets in this process. Definitely make sure to use these points to help sell yourself. Let me know if I need to clarify anything, and I hope this helps you out. Good luck!

No you wouldn't be a URM. You are a european-descended south american. However being URM or not is not the only question. You still have a lot in terms of cultural diversity to bring to a class and the whole marine corps thing is pretty cool too.

to summarize: not URM, but plenty to set you apart in the admissions process.