USMLE Do I need / when should I buy UWorld?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye-eye

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for context, we got a big discount on AMBOSS at my school during the beginning of M2 year and I ended up deciding to buy the student life subscription, which comes with shelf and step 2 qbanks. But I didn't realize at the time that UWorld is still a thing for step 2 and is still considered the must have primary resource. So I'm wondering, since I already have AMBOSS, if it would be reasonable to just use it for shelfs (which don't count for much in your grade at my school) and step 2, at least for most of the year, and look into UWorld later on if needed? Is UWorld really necessary for it? When do most people get it?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So one frame of mind I personally would have is that the vast majority of everyone sitting for Step 2 CK will have laid eyes on the Uworld questions once, mostly twice. AMBOSS is showing promise but still seems to be a new kid on the block. What you have to figure out is are you okay with taking the same test as everyone who has used Uworld, only difference being you haven't.

Again, the answer would be simple for me