Do I need step 2 CK completed to get interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I was just wondering if there are programs out there that require Step 2 CK completed by September before giving out interviews? Or do most programs give out interviews based on step 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I was just wondering if there are programs out there that require Step 2 CK completed by September before giving out interviews? Or do most programs give out interviews based on step 1?

If you are an American allopathic medical student with a good Step one score then most programs will not require Step two before interview.

My understanding is that UCSF requires Step 2 CK before issuing interviews/ranking applicants. Does anyone know if this is true? Or, if there are any other programs like this?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure it's true that you need it before getting an interview, but as a rule of thumb, some places will require the CK before ranking, thus it's a good idea to take it before the end of December- my school actually requires we do.

Bunch of residencies list on FREIDA that they want a STEP2 score before granting an INTERVIEW...I wonder how stringent they are with this rule, even for an applicant with a strong step 1?

Bunch of residencies list on FREIDA that they want a STEP2 score before granting an INTERVIEW...I wonder how stringent they are with this rule, even for an applicant with a strong step 1?

Depends.

I'm not sure that there is a hard and fast rule on this except for those unwritten ones that will never know about. In general, it's best to take their statements at face value rather than expecting to be the exception to the rule.

Has anyone gotten clarification on this from programs? My assumption is that if they require it, they want it before ranking and that no program requires to interview.

Has anyone gotten clarification on this from programs? My assumption is that if they require it, they want it before ranking and that no program requires to interview.

I don't really think this is a safe assumption. From talking to people who went through interviews last year and our PD/asst PD, the climate nationally is apparently shifting more and more to requiring Step 2 early.

If a program says that they require it for an interview, they might actually mean it.

I wouldn't have told a student this 4 years ago, but I think at this point med students should plan on taking step 2 in July/Aug/Sept.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. It seems like many, many programs list requiring step 2 for an interview prior to granting an interview. At my school, I won't be taking one of my core rotations until January/ February so I will have never seen that material until interviews are well underway. Am I in trouble here?