Do I need cover letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemCrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm reaching that point in my gap year where there will be an awkward gap on my resume between graduation and work experiences (I studied for the MCAT, but I'm almost sure they expect that I do something ASAP), so I am going out tomorrow to hand my transcript and resume to everyone within 30 minutes of my house. If I want anything that will result in "clinical hours" (shadowing, scribe, intern, slave, even positions that I would need months of training for, etc.) do I need to write a cover letter? There is so much that they could need and that I would like, that I'd much rather have a conversation than write 10-15 cover letters. Is this reasonable?

I have only applied to one scribing position online 2 weeks ago, got an interview, but nothing more. I had counted too much on getting that. There was no letter, just general questions. Can I use those questions as an addendum to my resume and transcript in place of a cover letter? It's also that I'm not really sure where the open road will take me tomorrow.

Finally, to anyone who has done something similar, do I just give the envelope to the secretary, ask to speak to a doctor, to a nurse, to a manager?

Members don't see this ad.