Do I need a spors coat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caedmon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No, I don't have one. Just wondering if for some of the more casual events, maybe like dinner with residents etc., if I may need one. I was thinking about buying one but don't want to use the money if I don't have to.

Members don't see this ad.

not sure what a spors coat is

most likely, yes. they aren't really all that expensive.

Alternatively, depending on what your interview suit looks like, you could just buy a nice pair of slacks and use your suit coat. With a different shirt and tie, nobody will be the wiser. Plus, it is easier to pack an extra pair of pants than a second complete outfit, including jacket.

it's not really a good idea to use a suit jacket as a sports coat..

doc05 said:
it's not really a good idea to use a suit jacket as a sports coat..

Well not if you have enough demand for a sportcoat to make purchasing one worth your while. I'm talking about the occasional pinch, where you can make one coat as good as two,

Bobblehead said:
Never had a use for one. Best thing to do is buy a non-black suit and use the jacket for a sports coat if you absolutely must.

Funny you should say that. My sport coat is black. I don't think anyone would ever accuse it of being a suit jacket.

Not to change the subject, but is the reverse true: never wear a sport coat to an interview, better to go with a suit? Even for an entirely "scrub-based" specialty like anesthesia?

InductionAgent said:
Funny you should say that. My sport coat is black. I don't think anyone would ever accuse it of being a suit jacket.

Not to change the subject, but is the reverse true: never wear a sport coat to an interview, better to go with a suit? Even for an entirely "scrub-based" specialty like anesthesia?

Medicine is still a pretty conservative field overall. Even if it's the one time you'll ever wear a tie for your residency training I'd recommend a suit. Unlike a sportscoat imo everyone in medicine needs at least one suit.

InductionAgent said:

are you serious? of course you need to wear a suit. anything less is unacceptable.

A sport coat is a blazer. Nice to have for that not quite casual dinner (e.g. meeting the inlaws for the first time, rehersal dinner, nice restaurant). I have a blue one, a dark green one (yes, I won the masters) and a black and gray woven silk one. They're also good for church and Sunday brunch.

Ed

When in doubt, go the conservative route. I'd always go with a dark suit (black/charcoal grey), solid-colored shirt, conservative tie. That is, unless I'm told differently.