Do I HAVE to submit my ORIGINAL LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The ECFMG REQUIRES ORIGINAL LORs. They also say that they must be signed in "blue ink".

I have my original LORs, BUT:

-They are not signed in BLUE INK, but black ink.

-I do not WANT to submit the originals becuse I went through hell to get them, and I do not want to loose them. It was very difficult to get those LORs, and I am not ready to go back to the PDs to ask them for new ones signed in "blue ink". I want to keep my originals with me in case I do not match, and have to re-apply next year.

So, Do I really absolutly HAVE to submit my original LORs signed in blue ink?:(

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

The ECFMG REQUIRES ORIGINAL LORs. They also say that they must be signed in "blue ink".

-I do not WANT to submit the originals becuse I went through hell to get them, and I do not want to loose them. It was very difficult to get those LORs, and I am not ready to go back to the PDs to ask them for new ones signed in "blue ink". I want to keep my originals with me in case I do not match, and have to re-apply next year.

Thank You.

If I am not mistaken I think ECFMG is going to be running a document return service sometime next year. I don't know if this applies to you since ecfmg is the deans office for FMGs. The situation might be different for US grads, so I am not sure. If you are an FMG, i guess you should really consider sending in your originals coz that is the requirement and almost everyone does so.

I submitted copies (b/c none fit their very specific criteria) of all of mine and have had no trouble getting interviews...

If you send copies of your LOR's, they can be labeled as such by the ECFMG. I personally don't care much if they are copies or if they are originals. For US Grads, letters are sent by letter writers directly to ERAS, hence it's clear that the letters are confidential. I assume that most IMG's send their letters directly to the ECFMG, and hence I assume they are not confidential, so it doesn't matter much.

If you send the copies then ECFMG will lable them "COPIES - original not verified". If you go for interview then you better take originals with you b/c PD will be asking you for the original LORs.

I personally sent them originals, you can get them original back at the end of year, ECFMG just started this service.

Goog Luck!

What you can also do (and I think it looks good if you do it) is ask your letter writers to send your LORs directly to ECFMG.
You can print a special cover sheet with your name and AAMC ID on it and ask your letter writers to attach it to the letter and mail directly to the address in Philly.
That's what I did. (and I still got copies for myself ;) )

If you send the copies then ECFMG will lable them "COPIES - original not verified". If you go for interview then you better take originals with you b/c PD will be asking you for the original LORs.

I personally sent them originals, you can get them original back at the end of year, ECFMG just started this service.

Goog Luck!

Dude...I dont think anyone cares at all. I have already interviewed at various places....nobody asked for any original of anything!

Dude...I dont think anyone cares at all. I have already interviewed at various places....nobody asked for any original of anything!

What i described are the guidlines posted the ECFMG's web site.

If you send copies of your LOR's, they can be labeled as such by the ECFMG. I personally don't care much if they are copies or if they are originals. For US Grads, letters are sent by letter writers directly to ERAS, hence it's clear that the letters are confidential. I assume that most IMG's send their letters directly to the ECFMG, and hence I assume they are not confidential, so it doesn't matter much.

I waived my right to see my LoRs, and they were sent directly from the writers to the ECFMG. They should be stamped that way by the ECFMG.

http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/annc.html#rods

ERAS Support Services at ECFMG will review each Request for Letter of Recommendation/Coversheet form submitted with LoRs for the applicant’s signature. Verification of the “check mark” placed on the form by the applicant with signature is conducted to confirm whether the applicant waived his/her right to see the letter under the “Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act”. Additionally, ERAS Support Services at ECFMG will review the content of the LoR to verify whether the letter writer has attested to the applicant’s waiver of right to view the letter. If one or both of these conditions are met, ERAS Support Services at ECFMG will stamp each LoR to read:

“Dear Program Director: The applicant has waived his/her right to see this letter. ERAS Support Services”

I was concerned about the blue ink requirement myself so I had called ECFMG and said I had the originals signed in black ink. I was told the blue ink just makes it easier for them to detect whether or not the letter is original. If by visual inspection your letter looks original, then the color ink does not matter.