Do I have a shot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

niabrams

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after undergrad and a master's in finance, I've realized that I want to go into medicine after all. Due to low GPA, I'm wondering if I even have a shot at DO.

My cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.14. I haven't yet taken all the prerequisites, but once I take orgo and bio (doing grade replacement for a C+), my sGPA should sit at 3.35-3.4.

What I'm wondering is, am I likely to get into a decent school with grades like this, as well as a good MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

that gpa would be fine, especially with a good mcat

So after undergrad and a master's in finance, I've realized that I want to go into medicine after all. Due to low GPA, I'm wondering if I even have a shot at DO.

My cGPA is 3.3 and my sGPA is 3.14. I haven't yet taken all the prerequisites, but once I take orgo and bio (doing grade replacement for a C+), my sGPA should sit at 3.35-3.4.

What I'm wondering is, am I likely to get into a decent school with grades like this, as well as a good MCAT?

Check out the 2012-2013 Official Underdog Thread. It is very encouraging and will help you answer your question as there are many, MANY, people in your shoes and you might not be as bad an applicant as you think. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You definitely have a shot, as I'm sure there's a good narrative behind this career change and you might be better able to articulate why you want this than a third generation doctor's kid, but there are a few more things to consider.

Retaking - and acing - courses will raise your GPA and show you're capable of the work, but you'll need to do enough to really show a record of improved performance. You didn't specify a full list of prereqs you still need to take, but if it's one or two courses that might not be enough. Especially if you don't have a strong reason for your not-so-stellar GPA in undergrad.

You also haven't mentioned here what preparation you're planning/doing other than classes and the MCAT. Shadowing and volunteer work - clinical and otherwise - are virtual requirements at most schools, and the way most applicants get that recommendation letter from a physician. If you haven't started those things yet, the sooner the better.

Best of luck!

I need to take orgo and bio, and I guess I should take an upper-div or two. In addition, I'm about to start volunteering at the local ED, and am setting up some shadowing opportunities. Hopefully, I'll e able to do a bit of research while going to school (paid, hopefully!). Would that be enough?

is that GPA including your masters work, or just UG work?

You are on the low edge, but if you get strong grades in your science courses it will help. You aren't out of the ballpark, so you should apply...

That's just UG work. In my master's I had. 3.61

I need to take orgo and bio, and I guess I should take an upper-div or two. In addition, I'm about to start volunteering at the local ED, and am setting up some shadowing opportunities. Hopefully, I'll e able to do a bit of research while going to school (paid, hopefully!). Would that be enough?

I also came from a management/finance major, I applied last year with just the basic pre-reqs (3.8sGPA), and during the interviews the schools had issues with me not taking any upper level bio classes, and the way I took my pre-reqs (10 credit hours for 2 summers and 10 credit hours per semester for 2 semesters.. so all 40 in one calendar year..) while I was working part time, TAing, and volunteering....

needless to say, they said they wanted to see how I would handle a full 15credit semester of upper level bio courses.......so I am now doing an SMP.....just a thought

Think if I went to school full time, and took orgo, bio and a few upper divs (in two semesters) that would be okay?

That makes me feel better! I'm wondering if it's even advisable to take orgo, bio, biochem and genetics in two semesters and still survive- plus I'd still have to find time to study for the MCAT while doing that.

I figure, if I crammed everything into two semesters, even if I did have the MCAT, I'd still only have 1 sem worth of grades to show for it. How damaging would it be to, say, take the MCAT in late April and apply in June rather than may?

In addition to the great advice that has been given to you thus far, there is a thread about what courses people wish they had taken prior to medical school. Get some ideas from there, too. The majority of people in that thread have stated biochemistry.

I think you have a shot. Good luck!

That makes me feel better! I'm wondering if it's even advisable to take orgo, bio, biochem and genetics in two semesters and still survive- plus I'd still have to find time to study for the MCAT while doing that.

I figure, if I crammed everything into two semesters, even if I did have the MCAT, I'd still only have 1 sem worth of grades to show for it. How damaging would it be to, say, take the MCAT in late April and apply in June rather than may?

Those are going to be some tough semesters, I don't know how your school works, but I needed to have Bio 1 and 2 completed before I could enroll in Biochem or Genetics (why i never took them at the time)

if you can, this order would be better..
SEM1: orgo1/bio1/genetics
SEM2: orgo2/bio2/,biochem......then plan to take the MCAT in June or July

You'll be fine applying in June or even July, you can start the app process without an MCAT score

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't that hurt me considerably, as everyone else will have their scores in may?

Last edited:
AACOMAS starts verifying in on June 1st, usually takes up to 6 weeks, so you can complete that process without an MCAT score, schools start seeing secondaries by the beginning of July, so you will still be "very early" if you take the MCAT in June and recieve scores in July, and in the "early-middle" of cycle if you take in July and send in your scores in Aug.

Most school wont start interviewing till late Sept

Thanks. I think what I need to do no is get as much clinical and shadowing experience as possible, as I currently have almost zero. Looking at MDApplicants, it seems that everyone in my shoes (gpa wise) who got in had a lot of medical ECs, volunteering, etc.

It would suck if I didn't get an acceptance and then student debt kicked in...

I would agree with what everyone has already suggested. Also, since you had UG and masters in finance, I would suggest taking some extra science classes too and doing well in them. It'll show that you can handle rigorous coursework.

Good luck

If I have just one year of volunteering and shadowing, think that'll be okay?

If I have just one year of volunteering and shadowing, think that'll be okay?

everyone on SDN way overestimates the importance of shadowing/clinical exp....honeslty think about what you learned by shadowing....its all just to make convince yourself being a physician is the right choice...as long as you have something on your CV that demonstrates compassion and basic knowledge that you understand what it is to be a physician, you will be fine....don't let it ever take 1 minute away from your grades.

everyone on SDN way overestimates the importance of shadowing/clinical exp....honeslty think about what you learned by shadowing....its all just to make convince yourself being a physician is the right choice...as long as you have something on your CV that demonstrates compassion and basic knowledge that you understand what it is to be a physician, you will be fine....don't let it ever take 1 minute away from your grades.

+1 quality over quantity. Main thing is you gain something meaningful from your experiences. Grades are #1 priority.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Order of importance to admissions committees

1) Gpa
2) MCAT scores
3) EC- clinical and shadowing
4) EC- Non clinical volunteering
5) Research- UG or Grad
6) Grad school gpa
7)EC- recreational activities
8) Personal statement
9) Secondary essays
10) Your "show me the money attitude" via letters of intent, in the area notices and letters of interest and other updates

Thanks, everyone. I think I am going to start in January, and take classes all of 2013. Either that, or I find a way to start in september of this year.

So far, here are the classes I have been told I need to/really ought to take:
Orgo & Bio (1 and 2); physiology; genetics; biochemistry. Any others?

Thanks, everyone. I think I am going to start in January, and take classes all of 2013. Either that, or I find a way to start in september of this year.

So far, here are the classes I have been told I need to/really ought to take:
Orgo & Bio (1 and 2); physiology; genetics; biochemistry. Any others?
For sure: Microbiology (w/lab)

If you have time: Cell bio, pathophysiology and maybe even a medical terminology class.

Are those for the sake of MCAT preparation or med school preparation? Not that it matters, as I'd still want to take them out of interest.

For sure: Microbiology (w/lab)

If you have time: Cell bio, pathophysiology and maybe even a medical terminology class.

No offense, but i feel those classes are unnecessary to take.

obviously if you took every upper level bio class it would "help", but its certainly not necessary.

Adcoms told me during my interview that they do like to see a couple 300+ bio courses for a nontrad. They also like to see that you took the classes as a full time student.

Are those for the sake of MCAT preparation or med school preparation? Not that it matters, as I'd still want to take them out of interest.

They arent really on the MCAT, I mean, the MCAT does have questions on the Cell, but not to the depth that a Cell Bio course would go...

you should take the courses you planned on, earlier, then take the mcat, apply, then in the year you wait to get in, you can take all those other courses, or a dedicated SMP

Wouldn't that be too late, then? Part of the reason I want to take so many courses is to raise my gpa and 'prove' to adcoms that I can handle the work.

You'll have a shot as long as your ECs are decent and you apply early enough.

Order of importance to admissions committees

1) Gpa
2) MCAT scores
3) EC- clinical and shadowing
4) EC- Non clinical volunteering
5) Research- UG or Grad
6) Grad school gpa
7)EC- recreational activities
8) Personal statement
9) Secondary essays
10) Your "show me the money attitude" via letters of intent, in the area notices and letters of interest and other updates

Are you an [premed] ADCOM?
I say #8 goes to #3
#9 is #5
#7 is #10....etc
I guess we agree for #1 and #2?

Well, it turns out I was wrong about my sGPA, in a good way. It actually sits at 3.26, not 3.14. Hopefully that will slightly raise my chances, if I can bring it up.

Well, it turns out I was wrong about my sGPA, in a good way. It actually sits at 3.26, not 3.14. Hopefully that will slightly raise my chances, if I can bring it up.
27+ mcat and you are good to go.

So just to clarify, you want to take all your courses next spring while studying for MCAT? That may hurt your MCAT score, but that's just my opinion (and experience). Since you dont plan on taking courses in the fall study your butt off for your MCAT now and take it the first date they offer it (I think in January?)

Go for it, OP. Im applying with a 26 mcat 3.25 cum 3.29 science. I chose my school list wisely, applied broadly, and have some ECs that are kind of unique. If you do what I did, i think well both get in. make your mcat is as high as possible though.

So just to clarify, you want to take all your courses next spring while studying for MCAT? That may hurt your MCAT score, but that's just my opinion (and experience). Since you dont plan on taking courses in the fall study your butt off for your MCAT now and take it the first date they offer it (I think in January?)

Actually, I'm planning to start my couses in the fall and take the MCAT in the spring. Right now, my plan is as follows:

Fall Semester: Orgo I, Bio I, Anatomy (+ shadowing & volunteering)
Spring Semester: Orgo II, Bio II, MCAT prep & test (+ shadowing & volunteering)
June/July: applications in

Doable? Advisable?

are those the only courses you will be taking? if it is i think it would be doable. Just make sure you have enough time to dedicate to studying for your MCAT and don't fall behind on MCAT prep. for me, the best MCAT prep wasn't reviewing material so much as practice. review all the answers, even the ones you got correct.

Well, here goes nothing! I think that what I will do is start studying NOW for the spring test. I already have physics and gen chem, and I remember both quite well (surprising, given that it's been 4 years). If I start studying for those MCAT questions now, I can hopefully decrease my workload later.

Any tips?

Yes and yes. shoot for at least high 20s in the MCAT, if not into the golden 10/10/10's.

No upper level bio will help for the MCAT particularly. Any upper level bio course will help in your ability to read bio passages quicker and more effectively, but the content itself won't give you any extra edge. Just take courses you are interested in/you can ace.

I also came from a management/finance major, I applied last year with just the basic pre-reqs (3.8sGPA), and during the interviews the schools had issues with me not taking any upper level bio classes, and the way I took my pre-reqs (10 credit hours for 2 summers and 10 credit hours per semester for 2 semesters.. so all 40 in one calendar year..) while I was working part time, TAing, and volunteering....

needless to say, they said they wanted to see how I would handle a full 15credit semester of upper level bio courses.......so I am now doing an SMP.....just a thought
Not that it really matters now, but I don't think that's fair given your background. You did well in the pre-reqs; what more do they want from you? Especially since you're contributing your management/finance background to the medical school student body. Was your MCAT good enough to assuage any concerns about your ability to handle the basic sciences?