Do I have a shot at Ophtho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEApplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks everbody.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I personally think step 1 score is not a great way to distinguish medical students.
Unfortunately in my experience many residencies use it as a cutoff (i.e. below score X, we don't read).
I'd find out which programs do NOT have a cut off and apply to those.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally think step 1 score is not a great way to distinguish medical students.
Unfortunately in my experience many residencies use it as a cutoff (i.e. below score X, we don't read).
I'd find out which programs do NOT have a cut off and apply to those.

Disagree; it’s a very valid tool to help filter applicants during interview cycles. It is one of the few equalizers an applicant has to boost their application, else things like reputation of medical school and “research” would start being much more of a factor. There’s plenty of evidence that step 1 scores have correlated with first time board passage rates and performance during residency. Anecdotally, some of our best residents have done fairly well on Step 1, and the few residents we’ve had that have been objectively bad did not do well on step 1 and 2.

To OP: your best bet is to leverage whatever connections you have from your home program and research. Unfortunately in this pandemic, with away rotations suspended, I would say your best for matching is going to be your home program, where they know you well. If you are really dedicated, I would even consider doing a pre-residency fellowship to boost up your application.

The fact is that your step 1 score is abysmal and your step 2 score isn’t much better (we can forgive a poor step 1 if you’ve killed step 2). Understand that while your application otherwise may look great, PDs and chairs want residents that will learn quickly, work hard, and most importantly, pass their boards. The reason so is because programs have a higher chance of being audited and under probation by the ACGME if board rates dip below a certain percent.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a chance at lower and some middle tier programs. Step 1 will get you screened out by several programs. Do you have anyone who can make phone calls for you, e.g., someone well known in the field who knows you well from research projects and/or clinical experience with you? That can go a long ways in your situation, as it can get your foot in the door for interview invites. Then if you make a really good impression in interviews, you give yourself a shot. Best wishes!

Where you train really matters. It might be better to take a year, do research at a good institution where you can get good letters so you can match at a better program.
A year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You dont want to go to any place that will take you and compromise your surgical training. When you leave residency, you should be confident in your skill set - that won't come from a low tier program

Where you train really matters. It might be better to take a year, do research at a good institution where you can get good letters so you can match at a better program.
A year is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You dont want to go to any place that will take you and compromise your surgical training. When you leave residency, you should be confident in your skill set - that won't come from a low tier program

Not sure if I agree with everything said here. My med school's program is considered a low tier program because it's not a big research institution and not a big name. However, the graduating residents consistently get 250-300 cataracts, and more primary retinal surgeries than most places because there's no fellows. Sure, a high tier program will open more doors because of name recognition and connections, but if you want to practice community ophtho, don't count out a place based on its name

Last edited:
Not sure if I agree with everything said here. My home program is considered a low tier program because it's not a big research institution and not a big name. However, the graduating residents consistently get 250-300 cataracts, and more primary retinal surgeries than most places because there's no fellows. Sure, a high tier program will open more doors because of name recognition and connections, but if you want to practice community ophtho, don't count out a place based on its name

Yours is not a low tier program - it's more of a community ophtho program. it sounds like you got a solid surgical education. that's not the case for many programs that are truly lower tier - entire subspecialty exposures are missing, poor numbers etc.

Not sure if I agree with everything said here. My med school's program is considered a low tier program because it's not a big research institution and not a big name. However, the graduating residents consistently get 250-300 cataracts, and more primary retinal surgeries than most places because there's no fellows. Sure, a high tier program will open more doors because of name recognition and connections, but if you want to practice community ophtho, don't count out a place based on its name

Agreed. Conversely, some of the worst surgeons I know come from "top tier"programs. Guess those individuals spent more time doing chart review research than working on their surgical skills!

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.