This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been on this forum for a long time first as a lurker and now as an account holder so I’ve seen this countless times .....I’m sorry your illness is troubling and you have recovered the gpa but at the end of the day med schools especially MD schools care about two things MCAT scores and GPA you need both to be high, if you do well on be mcat there’s a shot if you do average then sorry look at DO. You can have the best upward trend in the world but if you don’t meet the 3.0 minimum to get past the screenings then you’re out of luck. My suggestion keep taking classes, take the mcat and see where you sit in a year if your gpa is just over a 3.0 swallow the pride and apply DO if you’re just over a 3.0 but have a 515 then apply to some MD but you still need DO schools unless the initials at the end mean more to you then being a physician. Good luck to you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you just calculate what your actual GPA is which would make providing guidance easier.
She sort of did in another thread and it’s around 3.0 cGPA. And 2.8 in sGPA.

I find it so amazing that this thread has yielded almost the exact same responses as the first post from last week. OP is going to keep posting until someone says you are good for any MD school you want. I’m not sure OP would even be accepted at a DO school without some very heavy grade repair. It will be interesting to see what MCAT she achieves.

Reactions: 1 user
Well I agree with you.Thanks. I cant stand candbgirl or whatever her name is trying to hate and seem like she knows something. I knew I was on the right track with getting a good MCAT score and look at that idiot and stupid "advice" she's trying to give when clearly she knows nothing.
My cgpa is going to be around 3.3

Well I agree with you.Thanks. I cant stand candbgirl or whatever her name is trying to hate and seem like she knows something. I knew I was on the right track with getting a good MCAT score and look at that idiot and stupid "advice" she's trying to give when clearly she knows nothing.

You’re on the right track but you still need gpa repair you need both pieces of the puzzle not just one if I’m being totally honest applying with only a good MCAT and bad gpa is wasting money and putting you at risk to be a reapplicant

You’re on the right track but you still need gpa repair you need both pieces of the puzzle not just one if I’m being totally honest applying with only a good MCAT and bad gpa is wasting money and putting you at risk to be a reapplicant
I'm doing that and we'll see where my sGPA ends up after postbacc. Do you know how I Can find a GPA and MCAT grid that also lists the science GPA and not just cGPA like the one on amcas. For people with 3.2-3.3 GPA's and 33-35 MCAT acceptance rate is 50% but I"d like to see the sGPAs

I'm doing that and we'll see where my sGPA ends up after postbacc. Do you know how I Can find a GPA and MCAT grid that also lists the science GPA and not just cGPA like the one on amcas. For people with 3.2-3.3 GPA's and 33-35 MCAT acceptance rate is 50% but I"d like to see the sGPAs

Honestly I couldn’t tell you that however though I will say the MSAR numbers you see like the 2.8 sGPA is usually like someone’s kid or a donors kid hah the Cinderella stories are becoming less and less as competition gets more intense so just food for thought

MD is unlikely. As someone who did an SMP and multiple years of GPA repair and now has MD acceptances, I can personally attest it possible in some cases. However not with your current GPA. You would need an SMP or many more DIY post bacc classes to have a good MD shot unless you don't mind wasting money for a very small chance. I highly recommend you listen to what is being said apply DO if you get a high enough MCAT. Do you think you're too good for DO or something? Your future patients won't care, residency is what matters for clinical training I hear anyway.

MD is unlikely. As someone who did an SMP and multiple years of GPA repair and now has MD acceptances, I can personally attest it possible in some cases. However not with your current GPA. You would need an SMP or many more DIY post bacc classes to have a good MD shot unless you don't mind wasting money for a very small chance. I highly recommend you listen to what is being said apply DO if you get a high enough MCAT. Do you think you're too good for DO or something? Your future patients won't care, residency is what matters for clinical training I hear anyway.
Thanks but its not just anumbers game. Your case is different than mine. My undergrad GPA was good initially

No one cares about a CC GPA.

And guess what, having a crappy GPA and showing a consistent upward trend is BETTER than having a good initial GPA, dropping the moment you enter a 4 year university, and now fighting to get it back up.

I know that you have a diagnosis to support your case. But don't pretend like your better than anyone else on this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't. "There's more to it than numbers" is a philosophy at heart with DO admissions, not MD.

You've made two threads so that someone can tell you what you want to hear. And yet no one has said it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Merging with other thread in WAMC. Please do not post the same topic across multiple forums, or multiple posts in the same forum.

No one cares about a CC GPA.

And guess what, having a crappy GPA and showing a consistent upward trend is BETTER than having a good initial GPA, dropping the moment you enter a 4 year university, and now fighting to get it back up.

I know that you have a diagnosis to support your case. But don't pretend like your better than anyone else on this thread.
Med schools care about ALL grades. I"m suprised that this forums are filled with people like yourself who know nothing and are trying to hate on others. Get lost and keep your opinions to yourself and fyi my grades didn drop the moment i Entered and I got good grades when I graduated so yes get lost please.

Get off this website
You’re in for a rude awakening and your inability to listen to others will hurt you especially if you act this ignorant at interviews if you even get any. People have given you good advice over and over and if it’s not what you want to hear u say it’s wrong. Very naive. Good luck you’ll need it

Med schools care about ALL grades. I"m suprised that this forums are filled with people like yourself who know nothing and are trying to hate on others. Get lost and keep your opinions to yourself and fyi my grades didn drop the moment i Entered and I got good grades when I graduated so yes get lost please.

I've been a student advocate and mentor for years, and currently have acceptances to Top Tier institutions. Please don't assume you know anything about me because I give you the hard truth and facts

I've been a student advocate and mentor for years, and currently have acceptances to Top Tier institutions. Please don't assume you know anything about me because I give you the hard truth and facts

you can toot your own horn all you want what you said already tells me how much you DONT know.

Stop arguing already, melina, or you're going to get a banhammer smack.
what is it that you're trying to say? All you people did is criticize and try to make it as if you're better than me. I didn't get any adequate help or advice on here smh

First time using this site and congratulations all of you have made me regret consulting it.

First time using this site and congratulations all of you have made me regret consulting it.

You're literally getting advice from medical school admissions committee members and people who have gotten accepted with low GPAs. And yet you are dismissing their advice out of hand, convinced that you simply know better.

Reactions: 2 users
You're literally getting advice from medical school admissions committee members and people who have gotten accepted with low GPAs. And yet you are dismissing their advice out of hand, convinced that you simply know better.
No one encouraged me to apply. Everyone just said you're not good enough for MD

How Can I trust someone who says CC grades don't matter. IF they didn't matter I wouldn't have gotten accepted to UCLA (one of the most competitive schools in the country?

How Can I trust someone who says CC grades don't matter. IF they didn't matter I wouldn't have gotten accepted to UCLA (one of the most competitive schools in the country?

Don't take replies out of context.

Your 3.66 at a CC is not that impressive to a medical school admissions committee, who see plenty of GPAs that are much better at 4 year institutions. Also, medical school and undergraduate admissions are very different, and you've already said you're a CA resident. Don't try to change your story.

You got accepted on your CC credits colleges care about them med schools don’t need to. They view cc credits as a warm up for the real deal. You struggled at the real deal you recovered at the end but you need to prove your two semesters of recovery isn’t a fluke. People on here have told you over and over it’s not that you’re not good enough for MD as a person but your app right now isn’t. If you have the cash to burn and really want to apply then apply and reapply when you finish your second year of post bac.......being in CA is hard to begin with and when you go in with half the battle lost already you basically waste your money and time but again it’s uo to you

Don't take replies out of context.

Your 3.66 at a CC is not that impressive to a medical school admissions committee, who see plenty of GPAs that are much better at 4 year institutions. Also, medical school and undergraduate admissions are very different, and you've already said you're a CA resident. Don't try to change your story.
the fact that I see how you people don't understand anything is you don't say WELL If you do well on your mcat then you show you will be able to demonstrate your inteligence. Sorry just done with, wont be consulting this site any longer.

No one encouraged me to apply. Everyone just said you're not good enough for MD

You shouldn't apply now. Your app is not good enough, and you don't have an MCAT score yet. Right now your resume is not close to being sufficient, and applying now will hurt you in the long run.

Reactions: 3 users
the fact that I see how you people don't understand anything is you don't say WELL If you do well on your mcat then you show you will be able to demonstrate your inteligence. Sorry just done with, wont be consulting this site any longer.

Spend some time reading threads about people who have a failed application cycle. You will see a lot of people with better stats, better ECs, fewer red flags, and better attitudes who failed. You simply don't have a good handle on what med schools want and how competitive MD admissions are.

Thanks but its not just anumbers game. Your case is different than mine. My undergrad GPA was good initially

Your case IS different than mine that's true. My 4-year undergrad cGPA and sGPA was likely higher than yours is currently when I started my SMP. Honestly, from reading this thread your GPA and MCAT isn't your main concern. If this isn't a troll you need to take a deep breath, self-reflect and think about your maturity level and ability to accept constructive criticism.

It dosen't matter if you have a 4.0 and 528 if you act like this at an interview or sound on your application like you do here, you're not getting in DO and MD. ADCOMS want someone who will reflect well on their medical school both as students and future doctors. I really do feel for your medical situation, I think it shows resilience that you're still working toward your dream of becoming a doctor, that's why I took time to give you my advice. Regardless I hope you learn something from all this about your attitude.

Your case IS different than mine that's true. My 4-year undergrad cGPA and sGPA was likely higher than yours is currently when I started my SMP. Honestly, from reading this thread your GPA and MCAT isn't your main concern. If this isn't a troll you need to take a deep breath, self-reflect and think about your maturity level and ability to accept constructive criticism.

It dosen't matter if you have a 4.0 and 528 if you act like this at an interview or sound on your application like you do here, you're not getting in DO and MD. ADCOMS want someone who will reflect well on their medical school both as students and future doctors. I really do feel for your medical situation, I think it shows resilience that you're still working toward your dream of becoming a doctor, that's why I took time to give you my advice. Regardless I hope you learn something from all this about your attitude.
Thank you! I'm going to do well on my mcat and apply and pray for the best!

Is it just me, or did you just completely ignore all the awesome advice that @caesars palace just gave you?

She's ignored all advice and all facta that don't reinforce her preexisting beliefs, while celebrating any sliver of support for them. Take a look at the conversations on her profile.

She's ignored all advice and all facta that don't reinforce her preexisting beliefs, while celebrating any sliver of support for them. Take a look at the conversations on her profile.

you people seriously need to get a life and stop trying to nudge your way into others. I'm a premed club president and I know a lot and have consulted many sources and advisors so please stop trying to act as if you know anything. Goodbye.

This is for all of you so that before you go giving advice to people you get your facts straight! Check md applicants with less than

• UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: Private University
  • UNDERGRADUATE AREA OF STUDY: Biological/Life Sciences
  • TOTAL MCAT SCORE: 514
  • MCAT SECTION SCORES: B/B 125, C/P 130, CARS 129
  • OVERALL GPA: 2.80
  • SCIENCE GPA: 3.10
Summary of Application Experience

Praying for the best! :)

Proof that anything is possible! I honestly didn't think I would get in anywhere, but feeling so blessed right now! I guess there truly is more to the process than numbers :)

APPLIED, REJECTED
Virginia Commonwealth University
Vanderbilt University
APPLICATION COMPLETE
Tulane University
Loyola University Chicago
APPLICATION COMPLETE, REJECTED
Cooper School of Rowan University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Pennsylvania
Morehouse School of Medicine
University of Illinois
University of North Carolina
ATTENDED INTERVIEW
Howard University
ATTENDED INTERVIEW, WAITLISTED
Ohio State University
ACCEPTED
Meharry Medical College
University of Tennessee
Tufts University
// SHARE //

Melina, this is the profile of someone who is URM (go look it up). That means they fulfilled the mission of those universities, especially Howard and Meherry, which are Historically Black Colleges. Their case is 100% different from yours.

There are a number of people who can get into medical school with stats that are below a school's 10th% iles, and indeed, even below 3.0 GPA. These are URM, people who have reinvented themselves, but did so much damage to their cGPA that it would take several BA's of 100% to raise the cGPA to a competitive level; people with very compelling stories, and those with killer ECs. These are all outliers.

Do you fit those profiles? If not, stop arguing, stop with the "people are so mean!" attitudes, and listen to the good advice you've received.

This is for all of you so that before you go giving advice to people you get your facts straight! Check md applicants with less than

• UNDERGRADUATE COLLEGE: Private University
  • UNDERGRADUATE AREA OF STUDY: Biological/Life Sciences
  • TOTAL MCAT SCORE: 514
  • MCAT SECTION SCORES: B/B 125, C/P 130, CARS 129
  • OVERALL GPA: 2.80
  • SCIENCE GPA: 3.10
Summary of Application Experience

Praying for the best! :)

Proof that anything is possible! I honestly didn't think I would get in anywhere, but feeling so blessed right now! I guess there truly is more to the process than numbers :)

APPLIED, REJECTED
Virginia Commonwealth University
Vanderbilt University
APPLICATION COMPLETE
Tulane University
Loyola University Chicago
APPLICATION COMPLETE, REJECTED
Cooper School of Rowan University
Drexel University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Pennsylvania