Medical Do I have a shot at getting into ANY top tier MD program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I would like to get you guy's thoughts on how to approach my application this cycle.

Background
I'm a 25 year old, URM, and an international student. I graduated from a University on the east coast with a cGPA of 3.77 and sGPA of 3.82. Currently on my second gap year doing research at a top research institution.

MCAT
I took the MCAT last year and scored a 505. I was mad that I didn't do well, so I registered for a retake the next month and did worse, 499. I had submitted my applications by then and so I was devastated and I guess not surprisingly, didn't get any interview last cycle. So I started studying again this January for an April retake before COVID happened. I eventually took it on 6/28. I was averaging 512 on my FLs, but unfortunately the day before my exam, I received news that my uncle that I had a very close relationship with had died from COVID. I tried my best to keep my head up but I bombed my exam and got a 504.

Research
I've done an extensive amount of both basic science and clinical research. I have 12 publications so far in Q1/high impact journals (4 first-author). Only two of those pubs are clinical research.

I also have a compelling personal statement, many decent extracurriculars such as co-founder of a nonprofit, many hours of clinical experience (from clinical research, shadowing, internships), awards, etc. I really felt like the only missing piece to my application was the MCAT, and after studying so hard for so long and not being able to crush it, I feel so devastated and don't know what to do next. Being an international applicant limits my choices to schools I can apply to, and these choices tend to be mostly top tier, unfortunately.

I submitted my primary application to a throw-away school just to get verified, and I've worked through most secondaries ready to be submitted. My goal is to attend a research-focused medical school. I'm just not sure if I'll be wasting money applying this cycle with such a score, or if I need to wait another year, retake my MCAT again before applying. I'd appreciate any insights. Thanks!
Not with those MCAT scores.

International students need to be superstars.

In fact, being a 2x MCAT taker with a 499 as the latest score closes all MD doors. DO is still doable with a broad target list.

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT is barely qualified for medicine for domestic students, but simply impossible for international. Your grades are average. The fact that all three of your MCAT scores are in this range now put a higher score as questionable as a fluke. If you are applying to the high-tier, I think you would be "donating" the application fees. I think you ought to look at other options, DO or PhD. I do not think you have a reasonable chance of admission given those scores and GPA. Research is overrated.

If you are from a country with numerus clausus, those scores will probably not work either in most places, so I am not sure if your home country would be any better.

Your goal should be medical school, period. The fact that you are asking if you can get into a top tier MD school shows that you are out of touch with reality.

Your GPA is average for MD, but good for DO.

Your MCAT is low for both, but ok for DO.

If you want to be a doctor, your only shot is to apply to a ton of DO programs and practice, practice, practice for your interviews to make every one count.

Status
Not open for further replies.