Do I have a prayer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldtimer

Not a blind man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been procrastinating on my Duke and Hopkins secondaries because I'm not sure if I have a prayer at these schools and why bother. I have a cumulative 3.5 GPA, 35 MCAT, volunteered a lot at hospitals, and extensive work experience. I graduated from a second-tier school. What are my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

You won't know if you have a chance until you send it in.

Just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: ,

otherwise you might forever wonder if you could have been accepted there.

Just go for it! Why not? All you have to lose is $$ really. You're stats are pretty nice, and they may see something they like in the rest of your app. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
what would give you the impression that you don't have a prayer? isn't a 35 like 96th percentile?

I'm with SonGoku and AmyB.

It's hard to predict the application process, so you might as well take a chance.

Here's my personal experience (age 32 at time of application, previous career unrelated to medicine, average amount of clinical experience, excellent stats): Johns Hopkins rejected me without an interview; Duke admitted me with a full scholarship.

Disclaimer: Don't take that to mean that Duke is more non-trad friendly than Hopkins (it may be, but one person's experience cannot be generalized). It's likely more a matter of having your application connect with the right committee member in the right way. Best of luck!