Do I have a legitimate chance with my online degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoranon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m almost finished with my undergrad and curious to know if I have a chance at a med school acceptance. Quick stats:

Attended Arizona State University

- Two degrees: Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences

- 3.94 GPA, 3.89 sGPA

- 510 MCAT. Considered retaking, but don’t want to risk getting a lower score.

- 500 volunteer hours for a suicide hotline service, 200 hours as a volunteer phlebotomist, and donated $2,000+ of crowd-funded scholarships through a small company I started in 2015.

- NO research experience, although I’d love to do some in med school if possible.

- Strong LOR’s from 2 surgeons, a CRNA, a highly respected professor (girlfriend’s father), and volunteer leads (hopefully 2, but for sure got one letter finished from 1).

- 2,500+ hours as a Surgical Technician for orthopedic surgeries

- 40 hours shadowing CRNA and Anesthesiologist

CONCERNS:

ATTENDED ASU ONLINE, which is still a highly respected, regionally accredited university. I was planning to become a PA (specifically anesthesiologist assistant, hence the anesthesia shadowing) but the closer I get to finishing undergrad, the more I’m leaning towards med school. PA schools don’t really mind online prerequisites, most med schools do. I actually flew out to ASU to do physical labs, though. Pretty awesome experience. My transcripts also don’t show anything is online, but it may be a little obvious since I live in Georgia.

Could I have a shot if I apply broadly? I’m a 29 year old, non-traditional student. That’s why I have so many clinical hours and two degrees, so it’s not like I did all this in a traditional 4-year span.

Any opinions welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m almost finished with my undergrad and curious to know if I have a chance at a med school acceptance. Quick stats:

- Two degrees: Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences

- 3.94 GPA, 3.89 sGPA

- 500 volunteer hours for a suicide hotline service, 200 hours as a volunteer phlebotomist, and donated $2,000+ of crowd-funded scholarships through a small company I started in 2015.

- NO research experience, although I’d love to do some in med school if possible.

- Strong LOR’s from 2 surgeons, a CRNA, a highly respected professor (girlfriend’s father), and volunteer leads (hopefully 2, but for sure got one letter finished from 1).

CONCERNS:

ATTENDED ASU ONLINE, which is still a highly respected, regionally accredited university. I was planning to become a PA (specifically anesthesiologist assistant, hence the anesthesia shadowing) but the closer I get to finishing undergrad, the more I’m leaning towards med school. PA schools don’t really mind online prerequisites, most med schools do. I actually flew out to ASU to do physical labs, though. Pretty awesome experience. My transcripts also don’t show anything is online, but it may be a little obvious since I live in Georgia.

Could I have a shot if I apply broadly? I’m a 29 year old, non-traditional student. That’s why I have so many clinical hours and two degrees, so it’s not like I did all this in a traditional 4-year span.

Any opinions welcome.

Won’t your record show NO lab courses for chemistry and biology? If so, then you need to retake those courses at a university for credit.

Reactions: 1 users
Won’t your record show NO lab courses for chemistry and biology? If so, then you need to retake those courses at a university for credit.

It’ll show labs! I’ve done physical labs on campus. Flew out for a week long advanced lab that’s made specific for online student. Still on the physical campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did your gf’s father teach you in a college level class?
You seem to be lacking on your LORs.

Others can speak better to if ASU online classes will be acceptable anywhere better than I can. However my gut reaction is that you haven’t done yourself any favors going this route.

Most schools don’t accept online credits :/ you’d have to retake a bunch of classes unfortunately

- 3.94 GPA, 3.89 sGPA

CONCERNS:

Any opinions welcome.
Even though a transcript doesn't state that a course was online, one is expected to have abided by the policies of a school one is applying to it, when their website and the MSAR state clearly that online coursework is not accepted.

DO med schools are friendlier to online coursework. Some MD schools have no required prerequisites or are fine with demonstrated competency. The MSAR is the most efficient way to discover which these are. For DO schools there is a free resource, the CIB: http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/aacom-cib-2019-all-web.pdf?sfvrsn=95e22597_6 but you may have to go to school-specific websites to get information about their policies regarding online coursework.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

- 3.94 GPA, 3.89 sGPA

CONCERNS:

Any opinions welcome.
No

Most schools don’t accept online credits :/ you’d have to retake a bunch of classes unfortunately

I was only planning to apply to ones that accept online credits, I know a lot of DO schools do. My biggest concern is the ones that accept online prerequisites probably still get a lot of applicants without. And I have no research experience.

This goes much deeper than if online classes are noted on transcripts.

1) Some schools/universities may have additional info on official transcripts about online courses or sections

2) AMCAS uses the National Student Clearing House (NSCH) database of college course catalog descriptions and registrar course/section info as the first automated step in the verification process. I would say that full information from at least half of the schools in the country exist in this database with lesser amounts of data for the rest. So your section number can give you up in seconds

3) At individual schools, coursework is not typically checked for fulfillment until after you have taken up an offer of acceptance during prematriculation. Here schools may perform in-depth due diligence that may include contacting school registrar and/or requiring verification from other sources. This in-depth due diligence is becoming more common as medical schools fall under the umbrella or association of large hospital systems.

4) the LCME will conduct audits for re-accreditation that will include reviewing select / random admissions application and files. As such schools will conducts audits prior to this to make sure their files hold no surprises. Since school are accredited based in part on admissions policies approved and adherence to those policies, schools and parent health systems do not want bad publicity that will affect their brand and marketing if the LCME dings them

5) By the time you start medical school, you will agreed at least 3 times (primary, secondary, matriculation agreement) that you have provided accurate info and have followed all applicable requirements and policies. If you are ever found out, it would be an ethical violation and likely dismissal

6) As such, all acceptees and matriculants are subject to having acceptances rescinded up through until the degree is conferred on the student. While this exceedingly rare, the federal courts upheld schools right to do so.

7) if you are dismissed, the DOE and banks may demand loans to be repaid via civil suit. If there is evidence of gross violations federal criminal fraud charges could be brought against you

So with all these checks within the system, is it really worth any risk, no matter how small, to have your entire medical career over before it begins

I seriously appreciate you making such a long and detailed post for me and saying what you did in a respectful way. I’m only going to apply to schools that accept online prerequisites and I’m not planning to lie on my app at all. I just know a lot of schools that accept those are still going to get a lot more traditional applicants. Plus I have no research experience. I feel like I’d be a strong applicant if I went to a brick and mortar college, but I couldn’t afford to work full time and take college classes physically so I went to the best online university I could. Seriously thanks again for your post.

From reading your OP, do you have an academic LORs from people that actually taught you? A gf’s father’s letter is super biased and many schools have requirements for how many science/nonscience letters you’ll need. A CRNA letter isn’t really helpful for med school admissions IMO, but DO schools do like physician letters so you’ve got that covered.

Would you care to elaborate some as to why? Not trying to sound rude. Thanks for replying.
You're competing against extremely bright, talented people that went to more rigorous schools. You took a loop hole way to get a BA, others didn't.

You're competing against extremely bright, talented people that went to more rigorous schools. You took a loop hole way to get a BA, others didn't.

I got a Bachelor of Science and only did online as I couldn’t afford to not work, but I appreciate your input. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a Bachelor of Science and only did online as I couldn’t afford to not work, but I appreciate your input. Thank you!!

I couldnt either. So i had loans.
But, you’re going to have to consider that. There is a reason there is such a stigma against online degrees.

I couldnt either. So i had loans.
But, you’re going to have to consider that. There is a reason there is such a stigma against online degrees.

I couldn’t take out loans for housing and have enough to live off after my classes. Literally no parental help because I come from a poor upbringing. Living off loans would’ve definitely been ideal. Only having to worry about classes. Guess that’s something to look forward with med school. I definitely get the online degree thing, though. I’ll just make sure to apply only to schools that accept them and apply broadly

In May you posted that you were starting school and trying to decide on a degree. Now in 4 months you have two degrees and have taken the MCAT? In another post you were taking pre-reqs at a cc because those classes were less expensive, but in this thread you took a pre-req online and flew in for a week of labs. Every thread you’ve started is inconsistent with things you post in other threads. You can’t get honest advice unless you are being honest here. You can be vague about some EC’s to protect anonymity, but you won’t get good advice if you aren’t honest.

Reactions: 3 users
I couldn’t either but worked full time & had loans

In May you posted that you were starting school and trying to decide on a degree. Now in 4 months you have two degrees and have taken the MCAT? In another post you were taking pre-reqs at a cc because those classes were less expensive, but in this thread you took a pre-req online and flew in for a week of labs. Every thread you’ve started is inconsistent with things you post in other threads. You can’t get honest advice unless you are being honest here. You can be vague about some EC’s to protect anonymity, but you won’t get good advice if you aren’t honest.

Smh I was trying to figure plan and was too lazy to make another account. I’m on track for two degrees at ASU currently and my gpa is super high so I put the average mcat for what I’d aim for. Volunteer hours are safe estimates. Last thing I wanted to do was ask SDN about going to asu online, it’s my only choice for the moment but if I mentioned just starting my pre-med path, I feel as if everyone would just advise against that and tell me what I should do instead when they don’t really get my situation fully. I didn’t know MSAR had a list of schools that accept online courses though, that’s basically the answer I was looking for. Appreciate you saying what you did respectfully :)

I couldn’t either but worked full time & had loans

You worked full time and still used loans for living expenses? Did you work a medical job? Just curious. Ideal world, I could live off loans or parents money through undergrad. In a tough spot though. Closest university is an hour away and it’s not known for being that great, got a mortgage now and a sick one to take care of. Etc etc. Definitely didn’t wanna get into the depths and try to look like I’m trying to have a pity party. Found out there’s a lot of schools that accept online though, even top universities so I’ll definitely make sure to only apply to those programs

Eh, not everyone who did their degree online (or most of it) did so to take some sort of loop hole. Not everyone can just take out loans, and not everyone has a job where they have the opportunity to regularly attend class. If you go to a decent school that happens to have an online program, the courses can still be quite difficult, but without the benefit of office hours or a tutoring center. I do understand the stigma of online degrees though and why it's there. I'm just saying not all online degrees are trash, and not all people who got them were lazy or looking for a back door.

I do think it's important to do your prereqs in person though. I did my prereqs in person but got my BA online, and it hasn't seemed to hinder me in getting IIs.

Reactions: 1 users
Eh, not everyone who did their degree online (or most of it) did so to take some sort of loop hole. Not everyone can just take out loans, and not everyone has a job where they have the opportunity to regularly attend class. If you go to a decent school that happens to have an online program, the courses can still be quite difficult, but without the benefit of office hours or a tutoring center. I do understand the stigma of online degrees though and why it's there. I'm just saying not all online degrees are trash, and not all people who got them were lazy or looking for a back door.

I do think it's important to do your prereqs in person though. I did my prereqs in person but got my BA online, and it hasn't seemed to hinder me in getting IIs.

Did you end up getting accepted and all? Good to see you did a similar path. A lot of posters on Reddit act like it’s not a huge deal. SDN thinks it’s worse than the plague. Should ask both to see

Did you end up getting accepted and all? Good to see you did a similar path. A lot of posters on Reddit act like it’s not a huge deal. SDN thinks it’s worse than the plague. Should ask both to see

I'm in my application cycle now, but I have 3 IIs out of 5 secondaries, and my other two schools are a really heavily IS favored school that I'm OOS for and Hopkins lol. So it doesn't seem to have been a problem so far.

Are you just starting coursework or (almost) finished? How many more credits do you need to be finished with your degree and med school pre-requisites? Do you have any coursework that was not done online that can show you can handle the rigor of college? If an online degree is truly your only option then so be it. Moving forward you would probably want to have really exceptional EC’s and a 515+ MCAT to prove you can handle med school. I believe that @Matthew9Thirtyfive (who has an online degree) has a military background which is very favorable to med schools. What can you do to stand out from other high stat students who attended a B&M school? Your high GPA may not have as much of an impact, but a high MCAT and exceptional EC’s will. That is what you should focus on moving forward.

Smh I was trying to figure plan and was too lazy to make another account. I’m on track for two degrees at ASU currently and my gpa is super high so I put the average mcat for what I’d aim for. Volunteer hours are safe estimates. Last thing I wanted to do was ask SDN about going to asu online, it’s my only choice for the moment but if I mentioned just starting my pre-med path, I feel as if everyone would just advise against that and tell me what I should do instead when they don’t really get my situation fully. I didn’t know MSAR had a list of schools that accept online courses though, that’s basically the answer I was looking for. Appreciate you saying what you did respectfully :)