Do I have a chance ??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camille1209

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
- I'm a URM
- Plan to apply this summer June2009
- My overall GPA by the end of this Spring Semester 2009 will be a 3.2 or higher
- Science GPA is higher than a 3.2
- I've been doing research since my freshman year, maybe publish but not b4 i apply , presented several poster etc
- Volunteer at a community hospital the past 2 years on and off, 100+ hours as a spanish/english interpreter
- Deans List, several honor societies
- I have great excuse for my low GPA
- I think my Personal statement will kick butt.. I have a grreeat story
- Took the mcat this April 09.. i think it went well but if i don't make a 30+ i will retake it in July

I'm reallly worried, should i even apply????!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Well you obviously can see the weaknesses and the strengths in your application. What is important for you to do is to apply widely. Although you may want to stay in a certain area or go to a certain school, your GPA alone could make for some hard times and if the MCAT doesn't help, then times will get even harder. But hard times don't mean that you won't get in. If you apply:

1) EARLY- I mean, you better submit your AMCAS on the first bloody day possible, and you better have your secondary apps and your LORs in like as soon as you get the application

2) TO A VARIETY OF SCHOOLS- So talk to your parents or get a loan and make sure that you have enough money to apply to enough schools (20+ if the MCAT isn't good) to increase your chances of getting an interview and an acceptance

3) WITH ADVOCATES: When me and my wife were applying together we hadn't both heard from any school for a good time...we were getting nervous. But my wife had a mentor (MD/PHD) from summer research who knew the Dean of Admissions at Meharry. She called him, and the next day we had an interview invite from them. So make sure that you solicit the help of people higher up that can vouch for you

4) PRAY: Personally I believe in the power of prayer. If you do too, don't leave this out of the equation.

i think you can definitely get in SOMEWHERE if you follow dr j's advice. make sure you get supportive lors from different people (profs, PIs, etc) to paint a multilateral picture of yourself.. and do nail those essays and the mcat!! really generic advice, but it seems to work.. you might want to keep at your clinical and volunteering though. 100 hours may not be significant enough, but i guess quality over quantity is the key principle here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!!! for the feedback
I have been aproved for the FAP (Fee Asistance Program) from the AAMC so I can apply to 13 schools for free!
Please help me make a list of out of state schools that would take a look at my application!
I'm a texas resident so I will be applying to all texas schools through the Texas application, but I need your help for OOS schools!!
PLEASE HELP!

Do you have your MCAT scores yet?

It's kind of difficult to give you advice about OOS schools if we don't know your MCAT.

^Post your score & bump this thread on May 18th.

Goodluck :) I'm in the same boat as you but I pray things go well!

Scores are in.. i got a 28..FML
I will be retaking July 2nd! Wish me luck :D

is july too soon to make a significant improvement? have you been studying this entire time while you were waiting for scores?

what was the breakdown btw?

Last edited:

I don't think you should re-take it on July 2nd. It's entirely too soon to be adequately prepared. I think you should aim for September while taking courses to boost your gpa.

I don't think you should re-take it on July 2nd. It's entirely too soon to be adequately prepared. I think you should aim for September while taking courses to boost your gpa.
September is too late if he's trying to apply this year! I think early August is a good compromise. His applications are free, so he might as well see what happens.

September is too late if he's trying to apply this year! I think early August is a good compromise. His applications are free, so he might as well see what happens.

I agree, but I wasn't thinking of September for this cycle, but for next cycle. I forgot that her apps were free. In that case, I think she should go ahead & apply ASAP with the stats she has now and not even bother with a re-take. It's not worth the gamble IMO.

ok, so how does score reporting work, then?
if OP applied, could s/he take the exam later and then update schools during the process IF the mcat score went up? as in does OP have a choice in reporting them or do they have to go out?

ok, so how does score reporting work, then?
if OP applied, could s/he take the exam later and then update schools during the process IF the mcat score went up? as in does OP have a choice in reporting them or do they have to go out?

No, there's no choice in whether or not to report them after you submit your answers for the exam and confirm that you want your test graded. MCAT scores are automatically uploaded into your AMCAS application the day that they are available. Schools will hold your application and wait to review it until they have your new MCAT score results.

ahh ok, thanks.

No, there's no choice in whether or not to report them after you submit your answers for the exam and confirm that you want your test graded. MCAT scores are automatically uploaded into your AMCAS application the day that they are available. Schools will hold your application and wait to review it until they have your new MCAT score results.
I guess it depends a bit on where she is trying to get in...but absolutely do not retake that test unless you are consistenly doing at least 4 points better on practice exams. And July is way too early--remember that most people who retake the MCAT do worse, so don't make their mistakes!

You are from Texas ( I am too)...you need to stop reading this and apply to all Texas schools right now. I'm talking like finish the application by the end of the week and have all other required materials in by the end of next week. You can not afford to wait because Texas does everything early. Then find out what school have accepted the most UMR students from your undergrad. Apply to those. Also apply to all the HBCU schools. Good luck. If you are determined I think you can get in with you MCAT and GPA.

Even with a 28 you still have a really good chance at acceptance. Don't bother with retake.

Last edited: