Do I have a chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preopt2019

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My cumulative GPA right now is around a 3.1. Science GPA is a 2.8 but this is with my university calculations. Does optomcas calculate our grades from if we retook a class? I got a D then got a B when I retook it (for example). Would they calculate both the D and B?
I have volunteered at a hospital and have about 50 shadowing hours so far but will continue to shadow or find a job.
With my stats, how high should I aim to score for OAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I’d also like feedback because I’m in the same situation. My cumulative GPA is a 3.2 with a science GPA of 2.9 because I also got a D in a class and later retook it). I’m trying to shadow more often while working, taking a full course load, and studying to take the OAT in December. All answers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I would definitely get more optometry experience like shadowing. I would aim for around a 350 on the OAT. I would definitely apply early because you have a higher chance of getting in.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What would be the latest month to apply to still be considered early?

I applied pretty early know my stats weren’t the greatest, which was around September. I would say before November would be good. The earlier the better.

I applied pretty early know my stats weren’t the greatest, which was around September. I would say before November would be good. The earlier the better.
thanks.. what were your stats and what schools did you apply to and got accepted into?

So my cumulative gpa was 3.6 and science was around 3.2. My OAT was 310. I got an interview for all the schools I applied to but I only went to ICO and SCCO’s interview. I was accepted into both schools and I’m going to SCCo in the fall.