This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xalacm

Reaction score
Basically I went in to undergrad with unrealistic expectations of my study skills and time management (made As easy in high school). I had a lot of clinical experience in high school and decided I wanted to be a doctor. I went into undergrad pre med and took gen chem 1st semester (C) and cell biology (B). I took chem 2 second semester and dropped it with a W after it was apparent I would probably get another C.
Unfortunately, I was still in denial about my study skills (it couldn't possibly be me! the classes are just hard :angelic:) so I continued to take biology courses genetics (D), microbiology (C), A&P 1 and 2 (C). I changed my major but I was a steady B student with a few As. Graduated with an uGPA of 2.89. By the grace of god I was accepted into 1 graduate program in epidemiology, my new field of interest. After being rejected by several grad schools and seeing how well my peers were able to do in undergrad, I really stepped back and reevaluated the amount of effort I put in to my school work. The time for making As on minimal effort was over and it took me 4 years of failing spectacularly to realize it and it is my biggest regret.

Its now 1 year after graduating from grad school with a 4.0 (which I know is expected in an easy major) and I have done some clinical work and shadowing that has reignited my desire to be a doctor. I really can't see myself doing anything else. I plan to do a post bac program at a local 4 year university and take gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, genetics, physics 1 and 2 and biochemistry to finish by spring 2020. Obviously the goal (and expectation) is that I make As in all of these courses by using my new study skills, time management skills, and work ethic. However, even with these classes my cGPA will be around 3.3 and BCPM gpa around 3.14 (I think). At that point the only things that would be in my control are getting a competitive MCAT score and boosting my ECs (I have 1,300+ hours of clinical work, 50+ shadowing, 300+ research in public health + publications, 80+ volunteering).

Do I have any chance at all?? Is an upward grade trend even worth anything if its still not great? Im honestly not sure of my GPA calculations since most AMCAS GPA tables aren't made for this situation. Thank you to those who read my whole rant!

Members don't see this ad.

If you take gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, genetics, physics 1 and 2 and biochemistry and get (mostly) As, then yes you have a chance. Minimum in order to get past the screening is a 3.0+. Upward trend is a redeeming feature.

I'm not sure why the AMCAS calculator wouldn't work - it works for all. Ignore graduate level grades when calculating. Here's a thread on it.

Getting a competitive MCAT score will validate the upward trend. There are tons of people on here who have done that.

I'd suggest at least 150 non-clinical volunteering hours at a minimum just to plug any holes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you take gen chem 1 and 2, orgo 1 and 2, genetics, physics 1 and 2 and biochemistry and get (mostly) As, then yes you have a chance. Minimum in order to get past the screening is a 3.0+. Upward trend is a redeeming feature.

I'm not sure why the AMCAS calculator wouldn't work - it works for all. Ignore graduate level grades when calculating. Here's a thread on it.

Getting a competitive MCAT score will validate the upward trend. There are tons of people on here who have done that.

I'd suggest at least 150 non-clinical volunteering at a minimum just to plug any holes.

Thanks for the help! My trouble with the calculator is that my undergrad didn’t use a 3 hour credit system. Also if I don’t include my grad school grades my cGPA would be much lower... don’t they count towards your cumulative GPA? Surely they don’t get just thrown out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help! My trouble with the calculator is that my undergrad didn’t use a 3 hour credit system. Also if I don’t include my grad school grades my cGPA would be much lower... don’t they count towards your cumulative GPA? Surely they don’t get just thrown out

They look at your grad school GPA separately, and are not included in your UGPA. I believe they place a lot more importance on your UGPA than grad GPA, so I suggest taking a 2 year post bacc and take some upper div biology as well.

Did you do the math? 120 credits at 2.89 --> 3.3?
You will need 70 credits of 4.0 to reach a 3.3 if you only have exactly 120 credits from your previous bachelors. If you add your masters GPA (only for DO applications) then you could do a post-bac and you would be on track for DO applications with a decent MCAT.

If you tell us how many credits the masters was, then ignore the Genetics imo and go straight for retaking pre-reqs you might be on track.

First, grad school grades don't count toward the AMCAS GPA calculation. You still enter them and they are visible but the calculation doesn't change due to grad grades.

When you are talking about 3 credit system - are you saying that your classes were on the quarter system instead of semester? Yes, then you'll have to make a calculation to account for that. This link has some useful info.

First, grad school grades don't count toward the AMCAS GPA calculation. You still enter them and they are visible but the calculation doesn't change due to grad grades.

When you are talking about 3 credit system - are you saying that your classes were on the quarter system instead of semester? Yes, then you'll have to make a calculation to account for that. This link has some useful info.

This will make a huge difference because AACOMAS WILL calculate those grades in as far as I'm aware. This will make the applicant much stronger for DO.

I used the AMCAS calculator you sent in your 1st reply to calculate my original post GPA. However, there was not an option to include graduate school classes on there so I just added them at the end. Since grad school classes are not included in your cumulative GPA, my GPA will be much lower. My undergrad school is on a semester system by they count each class as 1 credit hour with one class that I took even counting as .25 credit hours.

I used the AMCAS calculator you sent in your 1st reply to calculate my original post GPA. However, there was not an option to include graduate school classes on there so I just added them at the end. Since grad school classes are not included in your cumulative GPA, my GPA will be much lower. My undergrad school is on a semester system by they count each class as 1 credit hour with one class that I took even counting as .25 credit hours.

Are you only wanting MD or is DO also in your options?

MD will not average your grad courses into GPA
DO will average your grad courses into your GPA. So when DO schools look your GPA will be much "higher"

Are you only wanting MD or is DO also in your options?

MD will not average your grad courses into GPA
DO will average your grad courses into your GPA. So when DO schools look your GPA will be much "higher"
Thanks. I am looking at both but I do not know too much about the DO application process yet.

Thanks. I am looking at both but I do not know too much about the DO application process yet.
Yeah, your best bet is DO bud. Make your app competitive for DO if you want to be a doctor sooner. MD schools don't care about your grad gpa except if it's from a SMP. AMCAS don't average grad gpa with undergrad gpa.

Reactions: 1 user