do i have a chance?--need help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have probably spent way too much time today catching up with this thread. I can tell you as someone who is about to start residency that this thread is very pessimistic and depressing. I just can't believe things can be this bad.

I do appreciate the advice on how to navigate the system though. I hope things are not as bad as this thread makes them seem.

Depressing? Sure.

Pessimistic? I'm not so sure - I would call it realistic. Unfortunately, turquoiseblue has an extremely tough road ahead of him/her. Experience tells us this is true in almost all cases like his/hers.

As far as being bad, it highly depends on your program. There are places that are accepting and provide a good education, there are those that don't and lots of places in between.

Be assured that almost everyone gets through, somewhat enjoys it and even looks back on it fondly. As much as I hated residency, there were parts I loved and I recall many great experiences and friendships.

Members don't see this ad.

Turq,

I think there is some great wisdom on this thread from some great people, especially Winged Scapula and 3d. I can identify with what what you say in many ways, but like others have said we have to all come to a place where we can change our own behavior in order to stay in the field. For instance, I thought Oatcell's comments were awesome and I admit I used them during the week when I was on the floor. It really helped me to keep a good perspective, and I was able to feel more compassionate towards the nurses - instead of anger.

It helps that SDN has so much awesome feedback, it's really priceless. I don't know what the answer is for you. It's up to you what you choose to do. There's no reason you couldn't turn your life around completely, and become a dedicated, hardworking FM resident. But, you really have to become that hardworking, humble, grateful person. People can see through insincerity. Choose wisely, but listen to feedback - and your instincts.

Turq,

I think there is some great wisdom on this thread from some great people, especially Winged Scapula and 3d. I can identify with what what you say in many ways, but like others have said we have to all come to a place where we can change our own behavior in order to stay in the field. For instance, I thought Oatcell's comments were awesome and I admit I used them during the week when I was on the floor. It really helped me to keep a good perspective, and I was able to feel more compassionate towards the nurses - instead of anger.

It helps that SDN has so much awesome feedback, it's really priceless. I don't know what the answer is for you. It's up to you what you choose to do. There's no reason you couldn't turn your life around completely, and become a dedicated, hardworking FM resident. But, you really have to become that hardworking, humble, grateful person. People can see through insincerity. Choose wisely, but listen to feedback - and your instincts.

I agree with that, but if anyone thinks I'm insincere, wow.
So you're on the floor now? how did you do that?

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I found it helpful to see how others reacted and responded to it.

I was just wondering, after reading through this experience, how would one draft a personal statement? What exactly should I say in it to be able to get into a program?

By the way, some have said being 5 years out of med school is a bad thing-- I have seen people 10 years out of med school still get spots! So there has to be some glimmer of hope in that.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice. I found it helpful to see how others reacted and responded to it.

I was just wondering, after reading through this experience, how would one draft a personal statement? What exactly should I say in it to be able to get into a program?

I think the conventional wisdom is that personal statements are not a significant portion of your application. However, in your situation it may very well be as there will be a number of questions.

I can tell you what NOT to do, and that it not to disparage your former program, not to talk about how everyone was out to get you, and how desparate you are to get a spot, any spot. You need to briefly deal with the issue of leaving your program and then move on to what you've been doing since. Otherwise your PS should be standard fare. I would not spend more than a paragraph on your past history.

By the way, some have said being 5 years out of med school is a bad thing-- I have seen people 10 years out of med school still get spots! So there has to be some glimmer of hope in that.

There are exceptions to every rule. If you choose to see hope where others see an extremely low chance, that is fine but it would behoove you, IMHO, to realize that this is a problem at many programs and one that will make your chances of matching more difficult. Not impossible but more difficult.

I can tell you what NOT to do, and that it not to disparage your former program, not to talk about how everyone was out to get you, and how desparate you are to get a spot, any spot. You need to briefly deal with the issue of leaving your program and then move on to what you've been doing since. Otherwise your PS should be standard fare. I would not spend more than a paragraph on your past history.

I would like to add that this goes double for your interview. The interview is the time to really sell yourself, especially in your case. You really need to find a way to get the program to focus the spotlight on your strengths. Show them exactly why they should accept you, what you can bring to the program. And you need to demonstrate how you have matured ever since you left your last program. Show the interviewer what you have done to overcome any difficulties you had at your last program, and how you are continuing to try to improve. Disparaging your last program will only come off to the interviewer as making excuses. If you can really demonstrate that you have made a sincere effort to improve, and are continuing to work at it, that will show the interviewers that you have the ability to overcome your weaknesses.