do i have a chance??? Just finished the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickatina

counting down the days...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are my DAT scores good enough to get me in

PAT 17
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 19
GC 18
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

with a gpa of 3.0

applying to
UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, Arizona, UNLV, BU, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, UNC, Florida, michigan

was scoring in the 22-23 range in all subjects, i dont know what happened to me today... but overall 80th percentile AA and TS, but after reading all the posts here im pretty disappointed with my scores.....

Members don't see this ad.

nickatina said:

PAT 17
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 19
GC 18
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

with a gpa of 3.0

applying to
UCLA, UCSF, UOP, USC, Arizona, UNLV, BU, Columbia, Tufts, NYU, UNC, Florida, michigan

was scoring in the 22-23 range in all subjects, i dont know what happened to me today... but overall 80th percentile AA and TS, but after reading all the posts here im pretty disappointed with my scores.....

Ur DAT is still amazing(how amazing? hard to believe amazing that is :laugh: )
all u gotta worry about is ur GPA , don't worry about ur dat, it's really amazing.

Joon, you sound really sarcastic in a lot of your posts. Nickatina... those are pretty decent scores. You have to realize that the people on this forum posting those awesome scores represent a small group dental school applicants. Most people with so so scores aren't willing to post up their scores, possibly because they're embarassed (even though they shouldn't be).

:)

nickatina said:

PAT 17
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 19
GC 18
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

with a gpa of 3.0

applying to

The truth is that it is getting harder to get into Dental schools. Although a 19 is respectable, with a 3.0, you might want to try taking it again, especially if you were averaging 22-23 (although those practice tests are easier). You GPA won't change much between now and December. The average GPA/DAT at Columbia for 2009 was 3.5/22+

Members don't see this ad :)
dont i have to wait 90 days to retake it? pushing me to the end of the december, which is super close to the deadline of the 31st??? anybody else have any input?

don't want to sound like an punk, but ur going to have to retake it. you've applied to a lot of schools that i think you will get rejected. (remember I'm only looking at your numbers, and i don't know what Extracurriculars you got). are you a Cali resident? we have similar gpas but i scored higher on the DATs and i already got a rejected from Arizona. and remember your going to be a late applicant(maybe not late, but later then me). i hear UOP wants 20's across the board. i think you should re take it in Dec. study hard and I'm sure you can score those 22s-23s. other then that i ono. good luck.

yes im a cali resident. IF i retake the Dat in 90 days (which wont be till late december) does it even make sense to retake it? should i apply to more schools, retake the DAT or just wait it out and see then if i dont get in i could retake early in spring and get my app out with the first group...

nickatina said:
yes im a cali resident. IF i retake the Dat in 90 days (which wont be till late december) does it even make sense to retake it? should i apply to more schools, retake the DAT or just wait it out and see then if i dont get in i could retake early in spring and get my app out with the first group...

have you even applied? if you already have, then youre at the mercy of the admissions committee. most likely they'll have looked at your application before you retake the dat so they wont see any new scores before they make a decision about you. no one here can tell you for sure how you stand in the eyes of the admissions committee. you're better off calling each school you apply to and find out for yourself.

I think you still have a good shot at BU, Tufts, NYU, and Florida (NOVA?)

the problem is not in your scores at this point, its in the schools you are applying to.. its not too late to add a couple more schools that u have a good shot at..i mean those cali schools u applied to..i dont think there is even hope so be realistic and add in a couple more schools that match ur grades

seems as though us californians all apply to the same schools. i think your chances at california schools are a little tough if u haven't already turned in ur application.

nickatina said:

PAT 17
QR 19
RC 20
BIO 19
GC 18
Ochem 20
TS 19
AA 19

with a gpa of 3.0

applying to

NYU and BU are safe bets. 19 AA is average there. You can get in if you shine in the interviews.

Good luck,
Rich

Good job! I would recommend calling up the schools that you are applying to and ask them. It's true that Cali schools might be a little harder to get into to so you might consider applying to several other schools.

JavadiCavity said:
You've got good scores. You'll be fine.

I agree. you got over 19 on the DAT in all the subjects, don't worry. Move on with your life. Focus on the interviews and call up the schools let them know how interested you are. Good luck.

My DAT scores were as follows:

PAT 18
QR 16 :(
RC 24
BIO 23
GC 19
OChem 18
TS 21
AA 20

with a 3.4 overall GPA and 2.9 Science. I applied two years, I wasn’t accepted the first year I applied. I applied to 15 schools, and submitted my application late (late August). I got wait listed at Creighton, interviewed at Temple in Jan '05 (wait listed) and interviewed at USC in February. I applied and was rejected at UCLA, UOP, Arizona, UNC, Florida, and Michigan, ones on your list. I was accepted at USC in April, and I've been here 2 months now :) . Hopefully you've got your app in already. One of the most important things is to get your application in early! I heard that a million times, but it’s the truth. Your scores would be fairly competitive at USC, all about average for here except for your PAT, I think average was 19 here for the incoming class. You would probably have a pretty good chance to get in at USC, as long as your science GPA is not below a 2.8 or so, and you have some decent extracurricular activities. Like tinman said, there’s not much you can do now if you have applied already, and if you haven’t applied yet, your chances are pretty slim. The first round of interviewees for ’10 came through here today. USC seems to do things a little later than most other schools; many school’s classes were full by the time I got my interview at USC. It’s true, it’s getting much harder to get into dental school. My undergrad school, until this year, had like a 85% acceptance rate for dental school applicants. This year it dropped to like 70% I heard. Less people wanting to be doctors and they choose dentistry, I think. Don’t give up, though! If I were you I’d retake the DAT this winter (they look at your highest score), and if you don’t get accepted by May, re-apply and get your application in by the earliest possible date. Don’t wait around through June, July, and August if you’re wait listed, it’s not worth it to apply late again. Good luck!!!