Do I have a chance in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny Q's

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first generation college student from a low-income family who lives in south TX. I started off my first semester not even knowing basic chemistry due to my high school's lack of decent teachers... I've struggled a lot to adapt to college not only academically, but mentally. Ive also struggled with panic-attack disorder for years which has caused me trips to the ER and loss of focus in school. There has been an upward trend in my grades and activities however. My c.GPA is a 3.21 and scienceGPA 3.0. I have done research in biochemistry since my first semester of college, EMT with patient-care experience (180 hours of training in ER/lecture), leadership positions for 3 orgs, involved in a fraternity for 2 years, HS and college student mentor, I have done some doctor shadowing for a local clinic, volunteered to teach science lectures for elementary-middle school, and have organized two global outreach projects.
How are my chances of getting in looking? I plan on taking my MCAT in the summer but I'm not a very good test-taker.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would suggest posting in the what are my chances forum in the pre-med section. But right now it is hard to gauge your chances without an MCAT score. I would also start considering a post-bac or SMP. However, taking your time to study for the MCAT and master the basics would help with any further coursework you might have to take. Also, being a South Texas native will definitely help you for UTRGV's medical school but applying comes after the McAT/GPA repair. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you do not have a chance as of now. As above, you need to do a DIY post-bac or SMP and do well - strive for perfect. It helps if you are URM, but you will have to demonstrate to yourself and others that you are not a mediocre student above all. Attempt the MCAT when you are scoring well on practice exams and no earlier. Also, stop making excuses. I grew up poor in South Texas and graduated with similar numbers. Find your big boy/girl pants and start fixing mistakes as well as setting short-term/long-term goals. It will all take time, but the schools will always be there and they love a comeback story.

You may also think UT is harder than most other Texas public universities, but I know plenty of +3.9 medical students that graduated from the institution. Again, stop looking for excuses/barriers and start finding ways to incrementally obtain your goals by breaking down those barriers with success.

Reactions: 1 user
I have one semester left at The University of Texas at Austin (Biology major) until I apply to med schools in TX. I am a first generation college student from a low-income family who lives in south TX. I started off my first semester not even knowing basic chemistry due to my high school's lack of decent teachers... I've struggled a lot to adapt to college not only academically, but mentally. Ive also struggled with panic-attack disorder for years which has caused me trips to the ER and loss of focus in school. There has been an upward trend in my grades and activities however. My c.GPA is a 3.21 and scienceGPA 3.0. I have done research in biochemistry since my first semester of college, EMT with patient-care experience (180 hours of training in ER/lecture), leadership positions for 3 orgs, involved in a fraternity for 2 years, HS and college student mentor, I have done some doctor shadowing for a local clinic, volunteered to teach science lectures for elementary-middle school, and have organized two global outreach projects.
How are my chances of getting in looking? I plan on taking my MCAT in the summer but I'm not a very good test-taker.

I think right now your chances are low. Some things I suggest:
  • Do well on MCAT, greater than the equivalent of a 30. This can be easier said than done and a low score in combination with your low GPA will make it that much harder, so give yourself plenty of dedicated time and get multiple practice tests in your target range before taking the test
  • First generation from low income family will give you some boost, but will be much more so if you show some dedication to service in what ever community you come from (rural? urban?). Tying this together with a statement of future interest in said community can go a long way, especially if you have interest in rural medicine
  • Do not not not mention panic attacks. Pretty instant app killer.
  • Keep building ECs emphasizing service to underserved and research
All in all I think you should hold off and take a gap year as opposed to risking having to reapply.

TMDSAS for instate residents is more competitive than AMCAS national applicant pool

TMDSAS instate: 1590 matriculants out of 4310 applicants = 36.9% matriculation rate
https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report-EY16 Medical.pdf
AMCAS national 21,030 matriculants out of 53,042 applicants = 39.6%
https://www.aamc.org/download/321494/data/factstablea16.pdf

I don't think that statistic really proves anything tbh.

You need to get rid of those panic attacks. Period.

You've had a nice college experience, with a Biology degree, congratulations. Generally, a 3.21 GPA at UT-Austin is not doable for Texas medical schools unless you add a lot of everything else. Good luck.

I always mention the stats on Texas when the subject comes up as many are under the impression that in-state TMDSAS applicants have an much better chance of acceptance than in AMCAS. Data suggests otherwise

Matriculant=/=acceptance, pools likely have different demographics, gpas, mcats. It's like comparing matriculation rate at individual medical schools, simply not a good comparison

see the data in the links previously posted. demographics are quite similar for both pools

GPA avg, MCAT and racially? I don't have the time to read the article unfortunately. Doesn't really matter though if it is a matriculation rate, if that was a good metric somewhere like Georgetown would one of the most competitive schools in the nation

No, you do not have a chance as of now. As above, you need to do a DIY post-bac or SMP and do well - strive for perfect. It helps if you are URM, but you will have to demonstrate to yourself and others that you are not a mediocre student above all. Attempt the MCAT when you are scoring well on practice exams and no earlier. Also, stop making excuses. I grew up poor in South Texas and graduated with similar numbers. Find your big boy/girl pants and start fixing mistakes as well as setting short-term/long-term goals. It will all take time, but the schools will always be there and they love a comeback story.

You may also think UT is harder than most other Texas public universities, but I know plenty of +3.9 medical students that graduated from the institution. Again, stop looking for excuses/barriers and start finding ways to incrementally obtain your goals by breaking down those barriers with success.

Did the OP edit out their excuses and where it is implied that he believes that UT is harder than other Texas universities? Genuinely curious because it just seems like he is explaining his situation. I also don't see where he expressed that his school is difficult.

The post has been edited though so I could be wrong.

Did the OP edit out their excuses and where it is implied that he believes that UT is harder than other Texas universities? Genuinely curious because it just seems like he is explaining his situation. I also don't see where he expressed that his school is difficult.

The post has been edited though so I could be wrong.

Original post stated that the average GPA is a 3.6 for students from UT-Austin matriculating/accepted to medical school. Seemed to be grasping at false hope instead of digging in for the long haul in an effort to achieve academic redemption.

Well if you have time to disagree with statements that are supported by data but then claim you dont have time to look at the facts (or maybe you know more than all the intelligence agencies like our president-elect), weakens your position. These is are simple charts, not some long article, put out by TMDSAS and AMCAS. Most prospective physicians should have the ability to quickly look at a chart, understand it, and draw conclusion. Since apparently you cant't commit the 20-30 seconds to click on a link and read a chart, let me make it simple for you (charts are picture below for your viewing pleasure). As you can see the pools of applicants and matriculants are quite close in both sets. The impression that it is easier to get into a Texas medical school than it is an AMCAS school is frankly a myth and the data clearly shows it.

Texas Applicants
GPA average 3.57 with 34% of applicants 3.76 or higher.
MCAT average 27.8 for "old" and 501.5 "new"

AMCAS Applicants
GPA average 3.55 (sGPA 3.45, uGPA 3.69)
MCAT average 501.8 "new"

Texas Matriculants
GPA average 3.74 with 57% of applicants 3.76 or higher.
MCAT average 29.9 for "old" and 507.5 "new"

AMCAS Matriculants
GPA average 3.70 (sGPA 3.64, uGPA 3.78)
MCAT 508.7 "new"

https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report-EY16 Medical.pdf

View attachment 213282
View attachment 213285
https://www.aamc.org/download/321504/data/factstablea21.pdf

View attachment 213283

https://www.aamc.org/download/321506/data/factstablea22.pdf

View attachment 213284

Sorry man, I post quickly on SDN as a small brain break often and I'm not going to spend that reading a paper. Honestly it should be on you to defend your point anyway and solely the matriculation data you posted earlier was pretty meaningless. Acceptee rate would be better. The GPA avg and MCAT avg of matriculants isn't great either (acceptee GPA and MCAT avgs would be much better), and atleast to me this data is actually pointing to the opposite of your point. MCAT is a whole 1.2 points higher, and I strongly suspect that the average GPA is higher because we have less heavily grade deflating schools in Texas (only one that comes to mind is Rice).

All in all, I remain unconvinced.

since Texas uses a prematch and match system it does not report acceptance data as you essentially have two different mechanisms and therefore sets of data, and if looking at a chart is reading a paper to you, than you have unrealistic expectations in this process

If you don't have good data that doesn't un-badify bad data (which is what you have). We'll have to agree to disagree on your second point, I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect someone to defend their own assertion especially when someone raises doubt in their current evidence. The burden is not on me to disprove. Not sure why you have such an underlying hostility in this discussion either

the data I have is from TMDSAS so if you think that there is some better data at the end of the rainbow you may find there is nothing to see behind the current. any hostility is just from banging my head against the wall with someone who just cant face facts and who apparently cant read a chart for that matter. Kinda of gets tiring after awhile

I don't know if there is better data, but like I said your data fails to prove your point for the reasons you have choosen to ignore and instead throw a little tantrum. I too have the head banging on the wall feeling here and since you seem to be having a bad day let's just stop here. Hope you start feeling better!

I am sorry you cant comprehend. It isnt a tantrum, just the frustration of dealing with a fool who would rather hope there is something there for a candidate who doesnt have the grades right now to be a competitive applicant

Alright. I never said the op was competitive, in fact if you read my previous posts before your tantrum I say he should do grade repair. Once again, I'm just pointing out flaws in the data you are using, flaws that you still don't want to address. Now I'm really out, as it seems you've completely decompensated at this point