Do I have a chance?? HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sary3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I want to know how realistic is it for me to apply to either MD or DO schools this yr. I have a 3.05c & 3.2s gpa & scored a 23M (8vr, 6ps, 9bs) on the mcat. I have around 150 hrs in CS, 1 yr of research, 4 yrs of hospital work, tons of shadowing experience & ECs & I'm a minority (english not being my 1st language).

I'm planning on re-taking the mcat in august but have been encouraged to apply early. Should I??

To top things off, I just recently got accepted to drexel's msp program but i'm hesitant to make the move (im in FL) & waste my money if there's a chance to get in somewhere...

help anybody???!!!!!!!! I'd greatly appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

You and I are in a nearly identical situation. I also scored low my first time and will be retaking in August. The rest of your application appears solid. I have heard differing opinions about applying early and was told by my advisor to submit my AMCAS early but not to apply Early Decision. I am only applying to my state school, however. How many schools are you applying to? Applying Early Decision locks you into that school's admission process until October 1st so I would probably not recommend it unless you are set on only going there.

Doing well in Drexel's DPMS (that's the one you mean, right?) will dramatically increase your chances of being accepted to med school. Doing poorly or even average will probably tank your application. I think it's worth the risk, personally. As it is, you're in bad shape at even the least selective DO schools.

That said, I'd apply to a few DO schools and see if you get any bites. If you can raise that 6 in PS to an 8 or 9, you're in much better shape for DO but still in dire straits at MD schools. Again, I vote for going to Drexel. If you can succeed there and write one hell of a PS to describe your struggles, you might have a good chance at an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey dude, I'm only pre med, but I'll try my best to answer you. Your cumulative GPA is significantly below the national average for matriculants, and your science GPA is slightly below the average. If you scored a 28+ on the MCAT, you might have a shot at DO, but I don't think the MD route will work with those stats. You could also try re taking some of your course that you may have recieved bad grades in, because DO schools recalculate your GPA based off your most recent score.

Also if you can try to get a 25 on your MCAT, you have a decent shot at carribean allopathic. You might have a hard time getting a residency after, but I know a lot of people that have gone on to be pretty successful even after getting their MD from a carribean school.

Good luck dude, and don't give up.

Yeah, I guess I didn't notice your cGPA. But your EC's are good. Definitely apply to DO and stay on track with retaking the MCAT.

Your 23M MCAT will likely kill your chances of getting into any medical school (MD, DO). And since your application wont be fully evaluated until you get your updated score, it seems like you should wait until next cycle (after you retake the MCAT) to apply if you want the best chance of getting in. People with lower stats really need to apply as early as possible, and get their secondaries in as early as possible.

Hey dude, I'm only pre med, but I'll try my best to answer you. Your cumulative GPA is significantly below the national average for matriculants, and your science GPA is slightly below the average. If you scored a 28+ on the MCAT, you might have a shot at DO, but I don't think the MD route will work with those stats. You could also try re taking some of your course that you may have recieved bad grades in, because DO schools recalculate your GPA based off your most recent score.

Also if you can try to get a 25 on your MCAT, you have a decent shot at carribean allopathic. You might have a hard time getting a residency after, but I know a lot of people that have gone on to be pretty successful even after getting their MD from a carribean school.

Good luck dude, and don't give up.

you don't need to be at the national averages. you need to be at the averages of the schools you're applying to.

my friend had a 24 (8, 5, 11) MCAT, applied super late as in she didn't take her MCAT till mid-August (meaning she couldn't be complete any earlier than like late September), and just got in off the waitlist at OK State (one of the best DO schools, it's also ranked #16 in primary care compared to the MD schools, as well). everything else on her app I'm sure was pretty solid, though. she had like a 3.8, likely good recs, and so forth. i don't think she was super involved in ECs, either.

so if that's OSU, one of the best DO schools, I'm sure you can get into some DO school if you apply broadly, early, and make sure you stand out in your app. good luck

my friend had a 24 (8, 5, 11) MCAT

Anecdotal evidence is the curse of SDN. I pray no one listens to it/makes an important decision based on it. This is pulled right off OK State's website

Overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)

Minimum of 7.0 on MCAT (MCAT must be taken within last three years prior to application)

Pre-professional science GPA of at least 2.75 ( on a 4.0 scale)
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/entrance.cfm
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/matrprofile.cfm

According to OK States website, their average MCAT is a 26.1.... Your friend didn't beat average are the school and wasnt even on par for it. Also, your friend did beat average in another category, GPA, which the OP hardly even makes the cutoff for OK State...

OP, if I were you, I'd do the SMP and try to do better on the MCAT. It seems like your MCAT is the deal breaker. Isn't the national average a 25? I'd say the odds are not in your favor. In the game of admission you must prove yourself...

you don't need to be at the national averages. you need to be at the averages of the schools you're applying to.

my friend had a 24 (8, 5, 11) MCAT, applied super late as in she didn't take her MCAT till mid-August (meaning she couldn't be complete any earlier than like late September), and just got in off the waitlist at OK State (one of the best DO schools, it's also ranked #16 in primary care compared to the MD schools, as well). everything else on her app I'm sure was pretty solid, though. she had like a 3.8, likely good recs, and so forth. i don't think she was super involved in ECs, either.

so if that's OSU, one of the best DO schools, I'm sure you can get into some DO school if you apply broadly, early, and make sure you stand out in your app. good luck

Anecdotal evidence is the curse of SDN. I pray no one listens to it/makes an important decision based on it. This is pulled right off OK State's website

Overall GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale)

Minimum of 7.0 on MCAT (MCAT must be taken within last three years prior to application)

Pre-professional science GPA of at least 2.75 ( on a 4.0 scale)
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/entrance.cfm
http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/student/admissions/matrprofile.cfm

According to OK States website, their average MCAT is a 26.1.... Your friend didn't beat average are the school and wasnt even on par for it. Also, your friend did beat average in another category, GPA, which the OP hardly even makes the cutoff for OK State...

OP, if I were you, I'd do the SMP and try to do better on the MCAT. It seems like your MCAT is the deal breaker. Isn't the national average a 25? I'd say the odds are not in your favor. In the game of admission you must prove yourself...

I just ran into her like an hour ago. she told me she wasn't complete any earlier than mid-October. that is SUPER late! she also told me about her friend with a 3.8, 24 who got into a Virginia DO school.

you can do it. you still have time to retake your mcat, anyway. if you retake your MCAT and boost it a few points (which you can definitely do at a 23) and apply EARLY and BROADLY, you're good.

I would not recommend going to Drexel's MSP program. With moving, living costs and everything else, the financial burden is huge. Plus, you need time to raise your MCATs.

My advice is take undergrad Science courses at a local University and shoot for As. Of course, you need to raise your MCAT scores as well.

Take your time with the MCAT prep. My advice is not to apply to Medical School this year. The reality is you have a very weak application, though it can be improved. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice guys!! I know my chances are slim but I'm applying to DO & local MD schools anyways... I have strong LOR, ECs & shadowing experience so hopefully that's going to count. We'll see how I do...!

Also, thanks for the drexel recommendation, I don't think I'm doing it since it's not the DPMS program but the MSP one & the cons are outweighing the pros right now!

Good luck to everyone & if you have any more suggestions or advice I'd greatly appreciate it .

Btw, if anyone could suggest some DO schools that would be extremely helpful!!

Thanks for the 10th time!