Do I even need to finish college before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olliewagner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been checking out the pre-reqs for different dental schools, and it looks like the required classes can be finished pretty quickly. Even if I could go early, would that be a smart decision?

Members don't see this ad.

olliewagner said:
I've been checking out the pre-reqs for different dental schools, and it looks like the required classes can be finished pretty quickly. Even if I could go early, would that be a smart decision?

If you're 10000% sure you want to pursue dentistry, and a school is willing to take you without an undergrad degree then go for it. If you're not sure, use your undergrad days to "find yourself" and more importantly, PARTY.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
officially, you can go to dental school without a degree. realistically, it is very tough to get in without one, what with the high quality of applicants these days and that the majority of them do have or will have their degree. plus, what he said about you have to be really sure you are going to do dentistry so you don't find out later you wish you had finished the degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that if you plan to specialize in ortho and oral surgery(highly competitive), some programs will require you to have a college degree.

SloppyJoe said:
Don't forget that if you plan to specialize in ortho and oral surgery(highly competitive), some programs will require you to have a college degree.

is that really true? like which programs (which schools?)...

i'll go out on a limb and say if u can gain early admittance to dental school..that means you are a probably good student.
;-)

and once a dental student...you'll still have those good study skills....so you'll more than likely do very well.

:)

SloppyJoe said:
I only know of 1 oral surgery program that requires an undergrad degree, UCSF. I didn't finish my undergrad bc I knew i wanted to do surgery and I wanted to cut off as much time as possible. Do I regret not finishing? A little. My advice would be to finish your undergrad if you're single bc you don't have anything better to do. If you have a family, cut off the years wherever you can.

I am pretty sure the dual degree OMS programs will require an undergrad degree. The reason being is that you not only have to be accepted into the OMS program, but that schools medical school as well. I know Andy mentioned something about this with LSU's program, but this most likely depends on the school.

Actually, according to river13, who just started at LSU OMS, there are a couple of programs that require it but none of the ones he interviewed at did and he interviewed at something crazy like 10-15 programs. So it seems like the majority do not require the undergrad degree.

i looked up nyu's OMS/MD program website and it only mentions wanting to look at your proof of graduation from, and achievements in, Dental School (U.S.-accredited and so forth). In any case, I would think it helps in medical school admissions to have a D.D.S. or D.M.D. degree under your belt. but maaaaaan... 6 years is a long time and plus you're responsible for the med school tuition as a student and then a resident (years 2-4, 5-6). You gotta love it to finish something like that.