DO graduates matching into orthopedic after merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe Jewel

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. I am in the process of applying to medical school and was interested in looking into osteopathic students matching into ortho surgery in the new system. The NRMP press release (New! Press Release: Thousands of Medical Students and Graduates Celebrate NRMP Match Results - The Match, National Resident Matching Program) states that "strikingly" there was a considerable increase in DO applicants matching into orthopedics this cycle. I was wondering if anyone has some info on which DO schools saw the highest numbers or proportion of graduates matching into orthopedics (the press release indicates that there were 112, approximately 13%, matched DOs in orthopedic surgery). After doing some quick research on the topic through match lists on SDN and the schools' websites I couldn't find much insights about 2020. Any input about the schools, # of students, and what programs they matched into is appreciated.

Thank You.

Members don't see this ad.

There isn’t really a correlation with what school you come from and matching ortho unless a certain school gives you more months for aways.

I was in the class of 2019 at DMU. 7 matched ortho last year. I didn’t match but then me and my buddy matched ortho this year (another unmatched applicant from DMU the year prior). That means 9 DMU 2019 people matched ortho. However, only 3 people from DMU 2020 matched ortho this year.

My class just really wanted ortho. Their class didn’t as much.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your reply @Gen3ricDO and information. My cousin actually went to DMU a few years back and is almost done with his radio residency. My inquiry is to know the breakdown of the increase from 13 matched DO applicants to 112 year over year from 2019 to 2020. Truly appreciate your feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s because all the previous AOA residences are now ACGME. There was an increase in DOs matching traditionally MD residencies but DOs have always matched 100 or so to ortho.

@Gen3ricDO thanks again for further clarifying the point. So the majority of matched DO applicants will be attending dual-accredited programs that were historically AOA-accredited? You bring up a fantastic point considering there are still a couple of dozen DO-based ortho programs that participated in the after-merger match...

Reactions: 1 user
@Gen3ricDO thanks again for further clarifying the point. So the majority of matched DO applicants will be attending dual-accredited programs that were historically AOA-accredited? You bring up a fantastic point considering there are still a couple of dozen DO-based ortho programs that participated in the after-merger match...

There is only one accrediting body now. It’s the ACGME. Programs that did not get ACGME accreditation don’t exist anymore. AOA accreditation isn’t a thing anymore. I don’t know the exact amount, but I believe there’s around 95 spots that were traditionally AOA, but now are ACGME only. 112 DO seniors and 6 DO graduates matched Ortho. So, Roughly 23 DOs Matched to a traditionally MD ortho residency while the other 95 got a traditionally DO spot. 2019 almost 300 people applied ortho. 2020 had around 180. So at best your chances of ortho are 60% at worst it’s 33% as a DO. Given this, any ortho residency is a good one as a DO.

Last edited:
The numbers make a lot more sense now @Gen3ricDO. Thank you so much for the eloquent breakdown.

Reactions: 1 user