Do grad schools take the best GRE score out of few trials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darngood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remember some colleges took average of SAT scores when taken three times or more.
I don't know how graduate schools do with GRE scores.
Do they take the highest score? average? ???

Members don't see this ad.

They'll see all of the scores you have on record, but they'll use your most recent score. They won't mix and match scores like some undergrad institutions did.

Some schools take the better one. I think U Washington does, for instance.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies by school. Some take the best score, some take the most recent, and some average them.

Ok this seems like a good place to ask this question: how many times is too many to take the GRE. I've taken it 3 times over the past 3 year (fist was just a trial, then 2 for real) but I would like to improve my scores so Im taking it again in November.

Does it look bad to have 4 scores in your report? The truth is that that sucker seems to accurately evaluate my INability to take the GRE cause my scores are all very similar.

If I did improve significantly, would my past scores still hurt me? Cause let's face it, even if they take the latest, they can still SEE the old ones. It's not that they are bad, they are just not as competitive as what we normally see in these apps out there.

from what i understand, if you've studied and done your best it's really hard to raise your scores above that level. if you had some extenuating circumstances that lowered your scores (or just didn't study) or have gotten some really strong training recently that may do something, but if your scores are all similar the next test is likely to be similar.

i know the answer is probably "it depends on the school," but i am thinking of applying to phd programs in neuroscience this fall, which is extremely last minute, but doing so would entail taking the GRE's with relatively little practice. i am a pretty good test taker, and i may even qualify for extended time, but i am wondering if this will hurt me next year, if i re-apply for phd programs "for real." i say "for real" because i was initially intending to wait to apply next year, but have received been told to just apply now and perhaps get some feedback, learn about the process and what im getting into a bit more, and also if i have to re-apply, it will look good that i have previously applied in demonstrating my commitment, persistence, and interest.

so, again, my question is: "i planned to apply to neuro phd programs next year, but have decided relatively last minute to apply this fall; is testing the waters worth getting my GRE's potentially dilluted? or will the benefit of getting feedback, maybe even getting accepted, and looking like a more serious/committed/persistent applicant if i need to re-apply, outweigh a potential hindrance to my GRE score?