DO for Canadians: 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, I will casually bring it up next time I talk to one of these banks...

I'm mostly worried about the prime/ variable. Interest rates have NEVER been this low... 3% is great! ... but what happens in 2-3, or 5 years when it goes higher. Scary stuff. During the course of our repayment, it's not impossible for the rate to double... If they could lock the rate or something, then we're in business! haha:thumbup:

Yeah 3% is very good. But seriously, maybe next time you talk to a representative bring up the possibility of a few of us coming together as clients. Banks wants our business, so maybe they will cut the edge off us a little :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder. It's worth asking. And I'm very sure they DO in fact want our business...haha. hm ok. I'll keep it in mind next time.

Been pretty quiet the last few weeks, how are you all doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you'll find a way! Worst comes to worse, donate an unnecessary organ :p

Have a meeting with CIBC re LOC and co-signer issue. Hoping for the best!

anyone know of any DOs in the Vancouver area that allows shadowing?

Shadowing an MD is fine for most schools, I've asked a few and they understand there aren't many in Canada

Contact me if you are interested to shadow a DO in Victoria. There are few DOs in Vancouver actually.

So the meeting with CIBC re LOC went a lot more simpler than I expected. I was told to provide letter of acceptance, co-signer's pay stubs, some info re current financial situation (mortgage, account sums... etc). I asked for $250,000. I will find out next week if I am qualified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone here applying to Canadian schools as well as DO schools?

If so how are you dealing with the preparation whilst not knowing about Canadian schools?

Is everyone here applying to Canadian schools as well as DO schools?

If so how are you dealing with the preparation whilst not knowing about Canadian schools?

Applying US MD and DO only

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Canadian citizen
Accepted to nova!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Congrats!! Mind posting your stats/ tips for fellow Canadians?

Gpa was 3.3 MCAT 33 (11,11,11)

Tips would be to follow up on schools after you submit applications. I received this particular ii in response to emails/phone calls I made to enquire my application status. On interview day just be confident and be yourself. Do your homework on why you want to attend that particular school, and have well rounded ECs that demonstrate your passion and abilities.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Gpa was 3.3 MCAT 33 (11,11,11)

Tips would be to follow up on schools after you submit applications. I received this particular ii in response to emails/phone calls I made to enquire my application status. On interview day just be confident and be yourself. Do your homework on why you want to attend that particular school, and have well rounded ECs that demonstrate your passion and abilities.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Congrats! Is this your top choice? Are you still hoping for MSU?

Congrats! Is this your top choice? Are you still hoping for MSU?

This and KCUMB were my two top. Msu is awesome, just not sure if I wanna drop 60k a year on tuition.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Hi there I am a Canadian Student wanting to get into Osteopathic Medicine,

I really need some advice. Do Ihave any chance at getting in with a 3.8 cGPA and a 25Q MCAT (10BS, 8 VR, 7PS) at any DO school in the United States. And is there any recommended DO schools for Canadians to apply to including MSU? I'm looking for as much advice as I can possibly get.

I have numerous volunteer positions right now (a bunch of random hours) and I am the President of the Pre-med Society at my University.

any suggestions?

I do want to get into MSU (this is my main school) but I'm looking for other schools as well... Any tips on improving my application to get into MSU-COM. I see that the website says I need clinical work. I have many volunteer positions but is this crucial? If I start now (December) would it be sufficient for using for next cycle applications in May?

3.8gpa.. Retake MCAT and apply to Canadian schools. What province?

Hi there I am a Canadian Student wanting to get into Osteopathic Medicine,

I really need some advice. Do Ihave any chance at getting in with a 3.8 cGPA and a 25Q MCAT (10BS, 8 VR, 7PS) at any DO school in the United States. And is there any recommended DO schools for Canadians to apply to including MSU? I'm looking for as much advice as I can possibly get.

I have numerous volunteer positions right now (a bunch of random hours) and I am the President of the Pre-med Society at my University.

any suggestions?

I do want to get into MSU (this is my main school) but I'm looking for other schools as well... Any tips on improving my application to get into MSU-COM. I see that the website says I need clinical work. I have many volunteer positions but is this crucial? If I start now (December) would it be sufficient for using for next cycle applications in May?

Yes you do. MSU, LMU, NOVA, TOURO-NY, KCUMB, Western COMP. Apply early. And I would get clinical experience if I was you. Once a week in a hospital, or something along those lines.

add AZCOM, CCOM and UNECOM to the list docmayer posted and i think ur good.

Thank you everyone for your comments-

I also have one other question..

Do Do schools take your best MCAT out of all the ones you have written. I have written two within the last 2 years. The first 22N and the second 25Q... will this affect any process if I were to apply to DO schools next cycle?

Thank you everyone for your comments-

I also have one other question..

Do Do schools take your best MCAT out of all the ones you have written. I have written two within the last 2 years. The first 22N and the second 25Q... will this affect any process if I were to apply to DO schools next cycle?

I believe most take you best. However at least one I know of averages the 2 scores.

They do have access to all of your MCAT scores though - one of my interviewers asked me how I was able to score 6 points higher the second time

They do have access to all of your MCAT scores though - one of my interviewers asked me how I was able to score 6 points higher the second time

You've been accepted to quite a few schools. Which one do you plan on attending?

Hey all, any vancouver-ites heading to a DO school for class of 2017?

If you are, it would be cool to meet up with anyone that is and share notes!

Anyways, if interested, drop me a line.
(FYI: I have been accepted to MSUCOM)

Congratulations on the acceptance!

I'm not a Vancouver-ite but I just wanted ask you, when did you "complete" at MSU and how long did it take for them to get back to you? I just completed mid last week. I'm hoping to hear back before 2013 but that might be a stretch. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Congratulations on the acceptance!

I'm not a Vancouver-ite but I just wanted ask you, when did you "complete" at MSU and how long did it take for them to get back to you? I just completed mid last week. I'm hoping to hear back before 2013 but that might be a stretch. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Thanks.

I did not get my secondaries in until the end of September and received notification about a month later.

Hope that helps.

Mind sharing stats TSk1?

Sure.

I don't know if I would be classified as a non-traditional or not as I did my first degree, decided it was not what I wanted and continued on to get what I needed for medical school. So I am not exactly fresh out from finishing my degree.

Anyways.

GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 31 P

I am Not a 100% sure, but I think my non-academic side of things has really helped my application.

If you are interested to know more, feel free to message me.

I hope that sheds some light on what you are looking for.

Hi Guys,

I am an international student (non US citizen/permanent resident) currently working in Texas. I did my undergraduate from olemiss and completed all the premed requirements etc. I recently got an admission in one of the medical school here in US. I was wondering how hard is it for someone like me to get a residency after completing 4 years of med school? is preference usually given to US citizens/green card holders? I just dont want to spend so much money and not be able to find a residency.
Also, are there any scholarship options for international students?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I am a first year student at TouroCOM-NY. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Hey guys. Hope everyone had a good break and Christmas! So I was doing some research and was on the CaRMS website and was surprised by what I found. So D.O's cannot are ineligible through CaRMS in Saskatchewan, NovaScotia and Newfoundland but IMGs can apply? How does that make ANY SENSE?!
And Alberta groups D.O's in with the IMG's and not USMDs??
B.C is the only place that explicitly states that D.Os get first iteration.

What do you guys think about all this? and are most people on here planning on coming back or not?

Hey guys. Hope everyone had a good break and Christmas! So I was doing some research and was on the CaRMS website and was surprised by what I found. So D.O's cannot are ineligible through CaRMS in Saskatchewan, NovaScotia and Newfoundland but IMGs can apply? How does that make ANY SENSE?!

What do you guys think about all this? and are most people on here planning on coming back or not?

Yeah. BC and Ontario are the only two provinces where DO's get first iteration. Unfortunately I would not plan on doing a neurosurg residency in Canada. Be open to the fact you may (and probably will) do your residency in the US and possibly work there!

It's actually 1st iteration in BC, ON, and Quebec.

IMG match for Alberta and Manitoba (with 5 year ROS for Manitoba).
So we got 1st iteration in 11/17 schools. Not bad imo.

The remaining provinces can get lost lol.

Does anyone know Canadians currently at MSUCOM? I think Michigan is one of the states that require a rotating AOA internship before you can do an ACGME (or something like this). Can someone clarify this point? I think I read this somewhere, but I am not clear.

I know this may not be as relevant after the AOA and ACGME merge, but for the time being, what is the current requirement?

The president of the Class of 2016 is a Canadian. See if you can contact her. The other option is to email Dr. Bill Falls (associate dean) directly.

Does anyone know Canadians currently at MSUCOM? I think Michigan is one of the states that require a rotating AOA internship before you can do an ACGME (or something like this). Can someone clarify this point? I think I read this somewhere, but I am not clear.

I know this may not be as relevant after the AOA and ACGME merge, but for the time being, what is the current requirement?

by the time you've graduated and started your residencies the AOA/ACGME have already merged, so you have nothing to worry about.

^The exact frameworks of everything have not been completely worked out yet, so I would hesitate to give an absolute answer. Unless of course you have more insight as you are a current student? I'm curious if your dean may have provided the students with further information

^The exact frameworks of everything have not been completely worked out yet, so I would hesitate to give an absolute answer. Unless of course you have more insight as you are a current student? I'm curious if your dean may have provided the students with further information

AOA/ACGME residencies will merge as of 2015. said by our dean and bunch of other deans and presidents who are behind this.

AOA/ACGME residencies will merge as of 2015. said by our dean and bunch of other deans and presidents who are behind this.

I heard this as well.

But I am confused by the wording "merged"

I know AOA residencies will be recognized by the ACGME come 2015.

As Canadians, that's really all that matters because as long as the residency is recognized by ACGME, then its also valid in Canada.

But that being said, isn't AOA residency still going to be its own separate entity? Just because its recognized by ACGME doesn't mean they are actually merging into one type of residency? I can't see the two types of residencies being classes as the same thing.

Besides, a lot of the DO residencies require OMM training so I can't really see how MD students will be competing for the AOA residencies,

I heard this as well.

But I am confused by the wording "merged"

I know AOA residencies will be recognized by the ACGME come 2015.

As Canadians, that's really all that matters because as long as the residency is recognized by ACGME, then its also valid in Canada.

But that being said, isn't AOA residency still going to be its own separate entity? Just because its recognized by ACGME doesn't mean they are actually merging into one type of residency? I can't see the two types of residencies being classes as the same thing.

Besides, a lot of the DO residencies require OMM training so I can't really see how MD students will be competing for the AOA residencies,

The merger doesn't really matter for Canadians. Yes, all residencies will be ACGME accredited, but the former AOA residencies still will not sponsor H1B visas just because they are now ACGME accredited.

how is the gpa converted? i believe for amcas (for uwo anway) that >80 is a 4.0 but what about for aacomsas? and do they look at every course taken including summer courses?

thx!