Do FM resident hours vary widely?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a bit confused about the work week at different hospitals. From talking to friends and looking up FREIDA, it looks like anywhere 50-80 hrs. That is quite a bit of variation. Do the numbers on FREIDA close to the truth? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a bit confused about the work week at different hospitals. From talking to friends and looking up FREIDA, it looks like anywhere 50-80 hrs. That is quite a bit of variation. Do the numbers on FREIDA close to the truth? Just wondering.

Work hours vary by hospital, by program, and by rotation. Doing your ICU rotation may mean that you're at 80 hours each week, but your ER rotation the following month will be 60 hours a week.

Totally depends on the rotation. When I did peds it was outpatient clinic only and the attending only had office hours 4 days a week so I worked a 32 plus my clinic and didactice hours. The off day I caught up on signing charts and finishing discharge summaries if my previous month was hosptialist.

Hospitalist could run 50 -70 hours a week depending on the patient load, amt of admits, dicharges and the times the attending wanted to round. We sometimes covered the inpatients of 7 different attendings and they all wanted us to round with them if possible so that could mean not getting home until 8pm some days.

Our ER rotation was 12 hour shifts, Radiology was 8 hour shifts.

Varies month to month and how much call you are scheduled.

I would expect that variation in duty hours is pretty standard especially in the world of duty hour requirements. It will depend on rotation and call schedule. I think 60-80+ was the norm for me with some 100+ hour weeks in there.