Do epidemiologists work in laboratories?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n3t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergraduate microbiology major, and I enjoy doing hands on laboratory research. I had been planning on obtaining a higher degree in microbiology to conduct laboratory infectious disease research, but I have recently become very interested in public health. Specifically, I am interested in epidemiology. I believe that many epidemiologists spend a lot of time in a more office type setting, but I was wondering if there was a laboratory component and if so what that would consist of.

I have been reading that epidemiologists work in offices and labs, but I have been struggling to find more information.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Phd in microbiology or infectious disease for micro lab research

Epidemiology for computer lab research

Reactions: 1 user
There is a laboratory component that is available to epidemiologists interested. The University of Michigan has a program specifically tailored for that (hospital and molecular epidemiology; https://sph.umich.edu/epid/programs/mph.html). I'm sure there are others that are available, but that's one that came to mind off the top of my head.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's subject dependent. Molecular epidemiologists often work in laboratories--but 'traditional' epi is often more survey-based, thus more office/data heavy.