Do doctors really date nurses??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AnnaM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my best friends is an RN at a major hospital in Cleveland, OH. She's a fairly new nurse (8 months) and recently started dating a doc that is doing his fellowship there. (she's 22 he's 30) How likely is it that the relationship will work, coulld there be other motives, what should she watch out for. I'm asking because she keeps asking me (I'm pre-med) and I don't know what to tell her. Any advice?? Thanks

Anna

Members don't see this ad.

AnnaM said:
One of my best friends is an RN at a major hospital in Cleveland, OH. She's a fairly new nurse (8 months) and recently started dating a doc that is doing his fellowship there. (she's 22 he's 30) How likely is it that the relationship will work, coulld there be other motives, what should she watch out for. I'm asking because she keeps asking me (I'm pre-med) and I don't know what to tell her. Any advice?? Thanks

Anna

Hi there,
Some physicians date nurses and some do not. Your friend should watch out for the same things in dating a physician as dating anyone else.

njbmd :)

The question doesn't really make sense to me. Is your friend suggesting that this physician has any more ulterior motives than most men when dating a young woman?

Is your friend worried that he is buttering her up by dating her so that he can get his hands on one of those stethoscope cozies that the nurses seem to love so much?

In fact, many physicians DO date nurses, because they are close-by. If physicians worked at Wal-Mart they might end up marrying someone in a blue vest. Physicians, male or female, do not have any more ulterior motives when dating, than the rest of the population.

Of course, there is long-term potential but bear in mind that he is 30 and she is 22 and there is a million year gap there which isn't apparent if you just look at the numbers. Then again, most physicians tend to be pretty immature so perhaps they are just the right age for each other.

Tell her to use her common sense just as she would with any guy...physicians put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. There is no reason to worship him or be more suspicious than she would normally be. Unless he's a Psychiatry resident...they're all a bit strange. :laugh:

Reactions: 1 user
If they are in the same institution gosip will take over, just like in High School. I know it ALL to well.

Rule #125967: Never eat where you s**t.

AnnaM said:

Anna
My wife was a nurse, PhD, bright, consciensious, my best friend. We were nearly the same age. She was 1.3 weeks older than me. Wonderful thing.

RRT2MD said:
If they are in the same institution gosip will take over, just like in High School. I know it ALL to well.

Rule #125967: Never eat where you s**t.

It's never S**t where you eat... the difference is critical.... the eating was happening first.

Kimberli Cox said:
...Is your friend worried that he is buttering her up by dating her so that he can get his hands on one of those stethoscope cozies that the nurses seem to love so much?...
roflmao.gif

My wife was doing a clinical at a hospital around here. Many times I have heard the story of the attractive nurse who was dating a young attending. Turns out she got knocked up, whether his intent or not; the rumor mill says she planned it that way and lied about her being on BC.

Regardless, he is now married with a child and she is no longer working and quite happy.

AnnaM said:

Anna

Med students date nurses all the time. I am one of them. What's the big deal?

Kimberli Cox said:
Is your friend worried that he is buttering her up by dating her so that he can get his hands on one of those stethoscope cozies that the nurses seem to love so much?

Hey there,
You mean I HAVE to DATE an nurse to get one of those... Oh, I am so bummed. I wondered where those came from.

njbmd :)

Who dates a computer nerd and only has a mousepad to show for it. ;)

One of my sorority sisters from way back when was a nursing student when she dumped her boyfriend of many years (like 5 or 6) and started dating a medical resident. A few months later, she had her shiny rock on her finger and they got married. Although I think they genuinely loved each other, the whole thing still just reeked a little bit suspicious. Haven't kept in touch so I don't know how things turned out.

If the hospital is anything like mine, there definitely are ulterior motives! :D

Learn it, know it, live it:
Faebinder said:
It's never S**t where you eat... the difference is critical.... the eating was happening first.

Frame this

I can't believe this is a thread. OK - sorry, but I cannot resist. Be prepared for this to get bumped to the LOUNGE!!

1. Will relationship work?
Well, Jim, we should define relationship. If she anticipates a deeply religious and emotional experience (Oh God, Oh God), then that relationship will work.

2. Other motives?
Again - define other motives? Is "hide-the-salami" another motive, or does that go hand-in-hand with relationship? Is sexual a sub-topic or grouping under relationship?
" I did not have sexual relations with that women"
What are her "other motives" - marriage, money, mutli-parity......?

3. What should she watch-out for?
I can't stop laughing!!!!
A. Call room visits - bad move if she accepts
B. She goes to his house, pager goes off around 11pm, after intimacy - "Oh, honey, sorry, but I have to go in for this - one of the residents needs my help".
C. Sudden changes in the call schedule
D. Another nurse or nursing student is leaving the same condo/apt complex as she is coming to visit him.
E. I can go on all night with this -
Just tell her to keep her own supply of Hoo-ha covers (What did Cox call it?)

4. Keep focused on getting into Medical School - these things will only complicate your ability to score high on the MCATs
tell your friend as a nurse, she could join SDN and post some of these intriguing questions.
I'm teasing - but really - they are both adults
It happens - and you know what - it sure made my life as a surgery resident so much easier.
Nurses are wonderful. Dating - now, let's define that one,

"Well, Jim, I can't say I ever did it with baked goods"

AnnaM said:

Anna

njbmd said:
Hey there,
You mean I HAVE to DATE an nurse to get one of those... Oh, I am so bummed. I wondered where those came from.

You could probably purloin one from the nurse's break room, but it would be covered with donut crumbs and who knows what other stickiness. Better just to date a nurse and steal it from him/her while they sleep.

I got an Ethicon knot tying board and a GI procedures book from my surgical resident BF. Useful, but not as cute as a stethoscope cozie.

lama said:
If the hospital is anything like mine, there definitely are ulterior motives! :D

They are usually, IMHO, on the part of the non-physician, if you ask me. Every year it seems, I have seen some resident, who apparently doesn't know much about birth control and doesn't protect himself, knock up a nurse or radiology tech, or whatnot and get the old gunshot wedding after a few months of dating.

Kimberli Cox said:
Doh! A little bit of dyslexia there.

Yes, gunshot wedding = shotgun wedding! :laugh:

Thats the old "double ring" ceremony of much fame from the newspaper social page.

The double barrel shotgun leaves a double ring imprint in the back of the person that its pressed up against...

i want out (of the military)

3dtp said:
My wife was a nurse, PhD, bright, consciensious, my best friend. We were nearly the same age. She was 1.3 weeks older than me. Wonderful thing.

She's too old for you dude.

1.3 weeks = 9.1 days = 13104 minutes.

Since doctors work with nurses, it makes sense many would end up dating those they hang around with.

Yes, he does have other motives. Guys go to medical school so they can tell attractive women they are doctors and get laid. And I think there was something about helping people or something like that which they were also supposed to do....but who pays attention to that part? :D

Sanman said:
Yes, he does have other motives. Guys go to medical school so they can tell attractive women they are doctors and get laid. And I think there was something about helping people or something like that which they were also supposed to do....but who pays attention to that part? :D

If you have to go through the hard work of medical school to get sex, then you obviously need some help with dating.

It's not difficult to get sex. You don't need a doctorate to do it.

OSUdoc08 said:
If you have to go through the hard work of medical school to get sex, then you obviously need some help with dating.

I think I got more women as a paramedic than as a physician. Maybe it was the uniform, maybe it was the younger age, or maybe it was because I had more time to go out and meet girls then.

I agree with OSUdoc. It's not difficult to get sex.

OSUdoc08 said:

Heh, speak for yourself.... between my wife's residency, my research and the kid and the long distance.... I can write a thesis about the efforts that one must go to, to get sex. :p

Faebinder said:
Heh, speak for yourself.... between my wife's residency, my research and the kid and the long distance.... I can write a thesis about the efforts that one must go to, to get sex. :p

YOU'RE the one who limited yourself to 1 woman!

I like to improve my odds......

OSUdoc08 said:
YOU'RE the one who limited yourself to 1 woman!

I like to improve my odds......

of contracting an STD?

of getting divorced?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :) Knock yourself out, OSUdoc08

Doc Oc said:
of contracting an STD?

of getting divorced?

Sorry, couldn't help myself :) Knock yourself out, OSUdoc08

You can't get divorced if you aren't married.

If you marry someone with an STD, you're more likely to get one than if you date 20 women who are STD free.

BOO-YAH