Do any psychiatrists practice with a model similar to "Direct Primary Care"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bltzybltz

Reaction score
Hi all! I found the "Direct Primary Care" model for practicing Family Medicine to be a seemingly cool way of operating a private practice. I'm referring to this

Is this a viable model for psychiatry, or is it not as useful? What are the major pros/cons of a similar psychiatric service?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Just charge cash for appointments.

Reactions: 12 users
Yeah, this would...not work well in psych at all. It doesn't set up the right boundaries for the field.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I found the "Direct Primary Care" model for practicing Family Medicine to be a seemingly cool way of operating a private practice. I'm referring to this

Is this a viable model for psychiatry, or is it not as useful? What are the major pros/cons of a similar psychiatric service?
Even if it did work, you'd be competing against all those subscription telepsych companies that have proliferated lately.

Reactions: 2 users
As an FP who did DPC for awhile, I would advise against it. The handful of patients I had with boundary issues were all, 100%, primarily psych patients. The diabetics, hypertensives, and thyroid patients behaved themselves and were pretty easy to work with and were respectful of my time.

The anxious patients or the Axis 2 patients, on the other hand...

Reactions: 7 users
As an FP who did DPC for awhile, I would advise against it. The handful of patients I had with boundary issues were all, 100%, primarily psych patients. The diabetics, hypertensives, and thyroid patients behaved themselves and were pretty easy to work with and were respectful of my time.

The anxious patients or the Axis 2 patients, on the other hand...
I think the way it works in DPC is basically when you identify someone who is going to be have bad boundaries and/or be very high maintenance, you discharge them and refund them any fees to avoid bad reviews. And you ultimately build up 500 well mannered patients who access you in a way that is sustainable. And 500 patients paying 100 dollars a month is $50,000 PER MONTH, and you can play with the numbers about whether you could charge more or have a smaller panel but it could be extremely lucrative.

It works because people don't need to see the DPC that often and a lot of stuff is low acuity and handled by phone or brief telehealth visit. A lot of people have stable problems but like to pay for the access, or they may have no problems but want to pay for access for minor urgent care type needs (UTI, bumps/bruises/fractures, rashes, runny nose, etc). If a patient with psychiatric diagnosis is stable they don't need to pay you, they can pay a DPC (or $20 copay to regular PCP) to refill their Prozac once a year. It works because patients are sort of overpaying ($1200/year) for primary care access, but they do get access, and $100/month isn't breaking the bank for some patient populations.

A psychiatrist probably won't have more than 500 patients. Even an insurance practice may not have 500 patients per doctor. So if you're going to model DPC you'd have to have a very low patient panel like 100 patients maybe, so you'd be able to be as responsive and provide the access similar to DPC, because the psychiatry patients will need more frequent access than DPC panel almost certainly because they'll have more intensive needs than the DPC patient panel. In a similar model you'd have 100 patients paying $100 dollars per month which is only $10,000 per month and $120,000 a year. You're better off just taking insurance at those rates. Or you'd have to start charging $300-400 per month membership fee and at that rate a lot of patients would rather just pay per appointment than a monthly fee.

Reactions: 1 users
As a dpd doc for nearly 12 years, and after helping over 1600 docs and 700 launch into dpc -- yes it would definitely work.

Someone mentioned: just cash. What are 4 weekly cash payments if not a monthly membership divided differently.

boundaries - yes, this isn't unique to dpc, its a common thread in psych regardless of payment model. the model doesn't prevent boundary setting at all.

need? even before the pandemic there was a huge need, but after an even greater need.

tech/telemedicine - now a psychiatrist could help patients across the state which improves access and affordability drastically
- also, some patients do better with email or video chat b/c its less anxiety provoking

I really do believe that the direct care model is perfect for mental health in a lot of interesting ways.

Of course we can make some specialty specific adjustments to the general model but still very common sense in scope.

If you know what your goal income, estimated overhead, estimated patient panel size etc. then it comes together pretty easy.

For us, our math was a salary of 200,000, overhead of 120,000, +20% wiggle room which equals 360,000 per year. Divided by 12 months that's 30,000 per month and divided by patient panel 600 equals a nice round $50 average price per patient per month. From there we were able to adjust the price based on value to the patients. We made kids younger because they need last but we made older adults more expensive because it saves them more time, money on medicines, money on labs, money on co-pays etc.

This doesn't have to be your exact math, but it gives you a minimum starting point so that you know if you're in the right reference range. And it'll vary depending on a therapist vs a psychiatrist (in terms of income).

But also I think mental health lends itself very well to the direct care model because people don't always know how much they are going to need but also they are very busy and could benefit from access outside of a normal clinic environment. A good example is my daughter's voice coach, who only does in-home appointments which creates more scheduling problems for my wife and I. I have repeatedly told the coach that we would pay more if she would do coaching over face time so that my daughter doesn't have to be driven around at time and expense to us.

I think patients would jump at the opportunity to have mental health visits by phone call, text, email etc. - even video chat. I find in my practice that patients will tell me much more by email than they will face-to-face because it's less distracting or intimidating for them.

And it forces them to be more concise with their process because it takes time and energy to construct an email - vs. - when they can have verbal diarrhea in a conversation and not really think about what they are saying.

I see mental health as very time focused so you could break us down into "units" and each unit could be 15 or 30 minutes. Assuming six hours a day for patient care and leaving two hours a day for emails and text messages etc -- then if each unit is 15 minutes, then you have four units per hour times six hours per day times five days per week or hundred = 120 hours per week or 360 hours per month.

If your goal was 120 K per year for salary and overhead, then it's an easy 10,000 per month or about $28 per unit which equals $56 per half hour or 112 per hour. And then you can offer a number of variations on this so that for may be $50 per month they get to 15 minute sessions or one 30 minute session etc. Basically getting them to prepay but it also means that coming back to you on a regular basis. For they could have the hundred and $20 per month package for one full hour etc. the benefit of having the membership/prepaid model is that you would include emails as part of the membership value. This way they may not necessarily need to see you for every visit. And then if they need to schedule additional minutes they can either move up to a higher membership model or payout higher price for individual appointments.

Additional benefits of the membership could be discounts on the other services you offer.

That’s probably a lot to digest – but happy to chat more anytime by email or call.

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
As a dpd doc for nearly 12 years, and after helping over 1600 docs and 700 launch into dpc -- yes it would definitely work.

Someone mentioned: just cash. What are 4 weekly cash payments if not a monthly membership divided differently.

boundaries - yes, this isn't unique to dpc, its a common thread in psych regardless of payment model. the model doesn't prevent boundary setting at all.

need? even before the pandemic there was a huge need, but after an even greater need.

tech/telemedicine - now a psychiatrist could help patients across the state which improves access and affordability drastically
- also, some patients do better with email or video chat b/c its less anxiety provoking

I really do believe that the direct care model is perfect for mental health in a lot of interesting ways.

Of course we can make some specialty specific adjustments to the general model but still very common sense in scope.

If you know what your goal income, estimated overhead, estimated patient panel size etc. then it comes together pretty easy.

For us, our math was a salary of 200,000, overhead of 120,000, +20% wiggle room which equals 360,000 per year. Divided by 12 months that's 30,000 per month and divided by patient panel 600 equals a nice round $50 average price per patient per month. From there we were able to adjust the price based on value to the patients. We made kids younger because they need last but we made older adults more expensive because it saves them more time, money on medicines, money on labs, money on co-pays etc.

This doesn't have to be your exact math, but it gives you a minimum starting point so that you know if you're in the right reference range. And it'll vary depending on a therapist vs a psychiatrist (in terms of income).

But also I think mental health lends itself very well to the direct care model because people don't always know how much they are going to need but also they are very busy and could benefit from access outside of a normal clinic environment. A good example is my daughter's voice coach, who only does in-home appointments which creates more scheduling problems for my wife and I. I have repeatedly told the coach that we would pay more if she would do coaching over face time so that my daughter doesn't have to be driven around at time and expense to us.

I think patients would jump at the opportunity to have mental health visits by phone call, text, email etc. - even video chat. I find in my practice that patients will tell me much more by email than they will face-to-face because it's less distracting or intimidating for them.

And it forces them to be more concise with their process because it takes time and energy to construct an email - vs. - when they can have verbal diarrhea in a conversation and not really think about what they are saying.

I see mental health as very time focused so you could break us down into "units" and each unit could be 15 or 30 minutes. Assuming six hours a day for patient care and leaving two hours a day for emails and text messages etc -- then if each unit is 15 minutes, then you have four units per hour times six hours per day times five days per week or hundred = 120 hours per week or 360 hours per month.

If your goal was 120 K per year for salary and overhead, then it's an easy 10,000 per month or about $28 per unit which equals $56 per half hour or 112 per hour. And then you can offer a number of variations on this so that for may be $50 per month they get to 15 minute sessions or one 30 minute session etc. Basically getting them to prepay but it also means that coming back to you on a regular basis. For they could have the hundred and $20 per month package for one full hour etc. the benefit of having the membership/prepaid model is that you would include emails as part of the membership value. This way they may not necessarily need to see you for every visit. And then if they need to schedule additional minutes they can either move up to a higher membership model or payout higher price for individual appointments.

Additional benefits of the membership could be discounts on the other services you offer.

That’s probably a lot to digest – but happy to chat more anytime by email or call.

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096
The bolded... dear lord you have no idea how wrong you are here. You should see some of the novellas patients write my wife in her patient portal messages. You know what fixes that right quick? Telling them they need an appointment if they write something that long. After a few times of having to pay out of pocket every time they do that they start saving all of it for their normally scheduled appointments.

Having to deal with that where they get all you can eat direct care... no, no, no, a thousand times no.

Reactions: 11 users

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096
600 patients is too many for this model in psychiatry. If you see 10 patients a day 5 days a week that’s roughly 200 a month. So you can only see each patient once every three months. Psych needs to see people monthly very often. Primary care can get away with this because most patients don’t need to be seen as frequently.

600 patients is too many for this model in psychiatry. If you see 10 patients a day 5 days a week that’s roughly 200 a month. So you can only see each patient once every three months. Psych needs to see people monthly very often. Primary care can get away with this because most patients don’t need to be seen as frequently.
And because us PCPs have such a broad scope people will keep us for quick and easy access for acute stuff in addition to chronic disease management.

If you've got a stable patient that you're seeing every 3-6M, the DPC model might not have as much of a perceived benefit for them since its limited to psych care.

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096
This entire post doesn't suggest a single thing that DPC model offers better than cash pay PP. Other than human's have been trained to to feel positive about monthly payments compared to single non-recurring charges, I am not even sure I can hypothesize any benefit of this model. Patients would need to pay at least triple the above numbers to make something remotely reasonable in psychiatry given the dramatic difference in patient population and needs for access.

The most compelling argument I could see for subscription-based cash psychiatry would be if you were fully DBT trained and willing to act as each patient's DBT therapist. There's a lot of unscheduled contact involved in that treatment modality, at least while trying to get the patient into a more stable and boundaried place.

A shady argument I could see for subscription-based cash psychiatry would be an ADHD focused practice where your value add is that you're not like the other cash ADHD docs who require superfluous monthly appointments and instead you're basically just charging them that amount monthly without wasting both parties' time on an actual appointment. That's also a way to get the time spent on controlled substance Rx, PDMP checking, UDS ordering, etc. reimbursed.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096
This is comical.

The benefits of direct primary care mainly stem from sidestepping the complexity of insurance and those benefits accure to both the patient and provider. But since in psychiatry there is robust ability to simply open a cash only practice, the benefits to the provider vanish in a puff of smoke and you're left with only downsides.

As others have alluded to, people who write long messages to a psychiatrist are to a person people who need to be seen in person and whose questions and requests should absolutely not be handled by chart messages or worse, texting. And when you see people as frequently as they need to be seen in psychiatry while being stabilized the direct primary care model makes no sense.

None of the psychiatrists here are disputing that the direct primary care model can work for primary care. There are multiple well reasoned explanations in this thread and the one I linked to why it doesn't make sense as an alternative to cash pay psychiatry , none of which you refute.

This is comical.

The benefits of direct primary care mainly stem from sidestepping the complexity of insurance and those benefits accure to both the patient and provider. But since in psychiatry there is robust ability to simply open a cash only practice, the benefits to the provider vanish in a puff of smoke and you're left with only downsides.

As others have alluded to, people who write long messages to a psychiatrist are to a person people who need to be seen in person and whose questions and requests should absolutely not be handled by chart messages or worse, texting. And when you see people as frequently as they need to be seen in psychiatry while being stabilized the direct primary care model makes no sense.

None of the psychiatrists here are disputing that the direct primary care model can work for primary care. There are multiple well reasoned explanations in this thread and the one I linked to why it doesn't make sense as an alternative to cash pay psychiatry , none of which you refute.
Absolutely DPC makes sense from a primary care perspective. If I wasn't in a family/social network overflowing with doctors I would personally have a DPC doc. Having someone who actually knows you beyond a name on a chart can really make a difference for primary care. Shockingly every cash pay psychiatrist knows the name of each of their patient's because they have around 1/10th the panel of the average PCP with an insurance panel.

Reactions: 1 user
Rarely in psych is something not possible. To make DPC psych a reasonable model (I’ve seen it work), start by choosing your favorite diagnosis. Treat it like a side gig and over years try to accumulate patients with only that diagnosis. Be known as “the person” for that condition in the area. Have some limits on what the monthly fees provides. Have a flexible schedule to accommodate these patients until you are big enough to only have this practice.

Multiple conditions, variety, cluster B, etc don’t work well with DPC psych.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah as alluded to you can also just do this in a cash only practice...which plenty of people have no problem participating in.

This came up previously in this forum as alluded to before but the reason DPC works for primary care is because there is really no viable cash model in primary care. Ask people if they'd be willing to go pay $175-200 per followup with their PCP and they'd laugh at you. Psychiatry is just culturally different in that cash only psych is viewed by many people the same way as cash plastics or derm or something....a specialty service that you pay extra for. Also, people don't really WANT to go see their PCP typically that often unless a real problem comes up and the people who do want to see their PCP more frequent are the psychiatry patients/chronic pain patients/whatever...so imagine a whole practice of these.

Yeah if you have a 600 patient panel and 10% of them are patients with significant psychiatric diagnoses (figuring that people who end up paying for DPC care are probably a little more well off and functional overall), then you have maybe 60 patients who are frequent contacts with only some portion of them who end up trying to overutilize this system. If you have 200 patients with significant psychiatric diagnoses....that over-utilization calculation goes wayyyy up.

Divided by 12 months that's 30,000 per month and divided by patient panel 600 equals a nice round $50 average price per patient per month.

Yeah no way it'd have to be at least $150/patient/month to even make sense for psych. At $75-100/month, you're losing money in psychiatry compared to FFS if a patient sees you more than once every 2-3 months.

Last edited:
Side question: How does DPC work (for FM, not necessarily psych) if you are promising people unlimited access but you quite literally only have 24 hours in a day? Is it "unlimited access" with the caveat that they have to sign up for a waitlist?

Side question: How does DPC work (for FM, not necessarily psych) if you are promising people unlimited access but you quite literally only have 24 hours in a day? Is it "unlimited access" with the caveat that they have to sign up for a waitlist?
One example that I rotated with:

DPC family medicine MD who works in an affluent area with a panel of ~650. Sees patients 9-4:30 4 days a week. Very occasional house calls. They have a patient portal to ask questions on (which he answers throughout the day and sometimes on Fridays), and have the PCP's phone number that they are counseled repeatedly is to be used after hours (else call the office) only for medical emergencies. This PCP said he receives 0-3 calls per day (yes he offers 24 hour access, is very rarely woken up), and really wasn't bothered by it because A) he knew his patients so well he usually didn't have to pull up any charting making them B) very quick to deal with and C) he enjoyed actually being helpful to patients when they were having emergencies.

The model convinced me that if you actually have the money, DPC is definitely worth it. You have a better chance of accessing a primary care physician that knows you well and cares.

Reactions: 3 users
Rarely in psych is something not possible. To make DPC psych a reasonable model (I’ve seen it work), start by choosing your favorite diagnosis. Treat it like a side gig and over years try to accumulate patients with only that diagnosis. Be known as “the person” for that condition in the area. Have some limits on what the monthly fees provides. Have a flexible schedule to accommodate these patients until you are big enough to only have this practice.

I still don't understand what advantage this holds over just doing fee for service cash pay. Starting as a side gig and heavily screening/filtering patients are things people do all the time.

I still don't understand what advantage this holds over just doing fee for service cash pay. Starting as a side gig and heavily screening/filtering patients are things people do all the time.
The reason we looked into it is more predictable income. You get your fee monthly come rain or shine. There are ebbs and flows with cash pay during prime vacation times or when school is or isn't in session (for CAP or if you have a large University student patient base).

And this is why DPC is unfeasible for most of psych. After 2 years of COVID, the patients who love their telepsych therapists are the Cluster B and dependent patients who can call them every other day when they have a panic attack because they can't get in to see their psychiatrist every week. As someone with a large percentage of Cluster B in my patient panel for 3rd year, DPC with that panel sounds like the worst possible setup I could imagine.

Like TH said, the biggest perk is that you know your monthly income regardless of how many patients you're seeing. If you see zero patients, you're still getting paid the full amount. Which is nice, but the risk of the opposite in psych (too many calls to handle) far outweighs that benefit imo.

There's a lot of poor understanding of psychiatry here. Unless a patient is just asking for a med refill or a slight adjustment, 15 minutes is NOT an adequate amount of time to address most patient's problems. Heck, I will frequently have patients where 30 minutes is inadequate to fully address their problems. DPC for primary care is great because annual check-ups can be scheduled and a lot of "urgent" issues can be addressed relatively quickly. An "urgent" psych issue, which may just turn out to be high anxiety or poor coping skills, may drag on well past 30 minutes, even if you are adamant about boundaries. You can't just tell a suicidal patient that they should go to the emergency room and hang up if they say no. You can't evaluate and advise a distraught patient or patients having a panic attack until they're calm enough to speak to you. You can't hang up on someone who is manic or psychotic and making statements of HI towards specific people. A DPC model in psych does NOT encourage people to learn to manage their own problems and cope, the entire basis of "direct access" is that they can reach you anytime they perceive it's needed which just reinforces dependency and poor coping.

However, let's look at the example given:

Let's say you're a responsible psychiatrist who does 30 minute f/up appointments for 6 hours a day + 2 hours for e-mails/texts per day. So 12 slots per day (pretty standard for regular outpatient positions) at 22 days per month (if you work 5 days a week) is 264 encounters per month assuming you never take vacations. Let's say the average patient on your panel is seen every other month (which seems very frequent, but personality and anxiety patients are likely to utilize more than that if they're able to in my experience), so that's a 528 patient panel. Now lets say your salary target is $275k/yr and miraculously total annual overhead is $24k/yr meaning your gross target is $300k/yr. T comes out to 25k per month, and at 528 patients they are paying ~$48/mo to be seen once a month. Which actually sounds like a great deal, BUT...

This assumes that you will be able to see 12 patients every day within 6 hours, which is very unrealistic unless you have a stable patient population or are cutting corners. It also assumes that every appointment is a follow-up and that you aren't doing ANY new evals, which in a DPC model where patients expect comprehensive and high quality care means 90-120 minute initial intakes. So if you do 1 intake per day, that's over 2 years where 1/3 of your encounter slots are taken up by 1 patient, meaning you can really only see 7-8 patients per day.

Then, your third f/up of the day is seen for 25 minutes, and finishes up with "And oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you I've been getting hot flashes, getting really shaky, headaches and nausea, and sometimes feel kind of confused lately. Is that from the medicine?" So now you have to spend extra time with them assessing for a bunch of other possible problems and ensure they're not at risk of a medical emergency, which puts you another 30 minutes behind. But you still want to make sure you see your patients, so you figure you may just have less time to answer e-mails.

Then you have to call your borderline patient for a safety check because they were discharged from an ER yesterday after he refused to be admitted to inpatient for SI. You call and their SI is much worse, they can't stop thinking about cutting their neck to kill themselves, and they've been having increased self-harm via cutting over the last several weeks. You're obviously very worried about them, so you stay on the phone with them until an ambulance can pick them up because they really need to go to the ER but don't feel safe to drive. OR, you're seeing your bipolar patient who has been stable for a couple years but is now presenting as pretty manic and saying they're going to kill their mother and tell you exactly how they'll do it, but they're refusing to go to the ER. So now you have to wait until the police get there to take them for an eval for an involuntary admission, which takes another 45 minutes.

Thankfully, one of your patients couldn't make their appointment, but you had 2 others who had to cancel because you were too behind and they thought that "direct" access meant they'd be able to see you when they needed it. So in the end you have some angry patients, but you only lost 30-40 of your minutes dedicated to answering e-mails. You go through the first few which are simple, but then you get to one that's 5 paragraphs long written by a schizophrenic patient's mother about how they've been acting bizarre and she's really worried. So you call them because it's a potential emergency requiring immediate admission, and after listening to her neuroses for 20 minutes you're finally able to tell her to take him to the ER like the last 2 times this happened, but he doesn't want to go. You then explain to her that because he's not a direct risk to himself or others, you can't file an involuntary petition but if she is worried for his or anyone else's safety she should call the police. 20 minutes later, you finally get back to your other e-mails which are filled with anxious patients who have various worries about their medications or whatever.

Sounds pretty extreme, but the situation with the detoxer who was hiding benzo use, the aggressive manic patient, and the schizophrenic patient was my Tuesday afternoon last week. No, all of the above is not likely to happen at once, but "emergencies" are fairly common. And yes, this happens in regular outpatient offices as well, but those patients don't expect to have constant access to their psychiatrist like DPC patients do. They expect easier access and high quality care, which is often not realistic with larger psychiatric patient panels in DPC unless you take years to build it up and screen patients.

Say you take half the patients and charge $95/mo to keep the panel smaller and income numbers the same. Still sounds great as patients could probably see you a bit more frequently, but what if there is an emergency like getting called after hours by a suicidal patient? Are you willing to always be on call like some DPC physicians are and patients expect? How do you enforce those boundaries in a model that has a primary selling point of easier access to patients who already don't respect boundaries? What about the labs for drug monitoring and medication levels? Should we cover those via contracts like PCPs using DPC models or tell the patients they have to pay out of pocket or with insurance? How is that different from any other psychiatrist? If you take kids it's even more of an issue, as those encounters will often take longer and collateral from parents will be needed.

And all this is supposed to make a net profit of $275k after overhead realistic? As a psychiatrist, why would I bother with all the above when I could just charge cash at $300/hr and make more without having to worry about the raised expectations? Even better question, why should we bother with DPC model when we can work somewhere making base of $300k + RVU bonus + receive full benefits, retirement, vacation and sick days, malpractice insurance, and not have to deal with administrative aspects while seeing 10-12 patients per day who don't have the raised expectations of a DPC model?

It's feasible for psych to do, but there are so many more aspects that psych deals with that medicine doesn't in terms of our patients, much less value in it for the patients, and much higher stress load on the psychiatrists that it just doesn't seem worth it in our field. Especially when just doing a cash-only practice is a very reasonable option. It's so much less flexible in terms of other jobs/activities that we can do because of patient expectations. I've been to AtlasMD talks, and the model really does sound fantastic and one I'd love if I were a PCP. But for psych, I just don't see how it would be worth it.

Reactions: 10 users
And all this is supposed to make a net profit of $275k after overhead realistic? As a psychiatrist, why would I bother with all the above when I could just charge cash at $300/hr and make more without having to worry about the raised expectations? Even better question, why should we bother with DPC model when we can work somewhere making base of $300k + RVU bonus + receive full benefits, retirement, vacation and sick days, malpractice insurance, and not have to deal with administrative aspects while seeing 10-12 patients per day who don't have the raised expectations of a DPC model?

This and your point about patients "expecting" 24/7 access to their physician are the two reasons why this doesn't work in psych.

I take insurance right now, contracting out to a larger therapy group (I'm on 5 insurance panels so pretty rarely get a patient who has to go OON or pay OOP). Get reimbursed pretty decently for it too (enough where seeing 12-14 ppd easily grosses 300K+/year). Overhead in psychiatry is very low and even lower if you're doing cash only practice. Patients do NOT expect 24/7 access to me. They can go to the ED for emergencies, otherwise they can leave messages with the front office staff and I'll get back to them in 1-2 days (unless it's something I decide I need to call back sooner about like "hey I started this new antipsychotic and now I have fevers and my muscles feel stiff"). My life would be terrible if my patients expected me to email them back the same day about every random complaint that pops up/504 letter that they want me to write/school excuse/med letter for school/FMLA paperwork/etc etc. Why would I do that for basically the same or less pay?

This and your point about patients "expecting" 24/7 access to their physician are the two reasons why this doesn't work in psych.

I take insurance right now, contracting out to a larger therapy group (I'm on 5 insurance panels so pretty rarely get a patient who has to go OON or pay OOP). Get reimbursed pretty decently for it too (enough where seeing 12-14 ppd easily grosses 300K+/year). Overhead in psychiatry is very low and even lower if you're doing cash only practice. Patients do NOT expect 24/7 access to me. They can go to the ED for emergencies, otherwise they can leave messages with the front office staff and I'll get back to them in 1-2 days (unless it's something I decide I need to call back sooner about like "hey I started this new antipsychotic and now I have fevers and my muscles feel stiff"). My life would be terrible if my patients expected me to email them back the same day about every random complaint that pops up/504 letter that they want me to write/school excuse/med letter for school/FMLA paperwork/etc etc. Why would I do that for basically the same or less pay?

Exactly. Imo the reason the DPC model is so attractive in primary care is because one can have a smaller patient panel, you make the same or more money for providing the same services, it's cheaper for patients overall than paying a monthly insurance premium, and all of the billing and administrative points are easier than dealing with insurance companies. Basically all of these things are obtainable in psych through a cash-only practice, and cash-only also doesn't carry the expectation of access that DPC patients expect. Can it be done in psych? Sure. But why use DPC when other models work just as well and are less stressful?

The OG version of psychodynamic psychotherapy is basically DPC... one hour guaranteed access to your psychiatrist, Monday through Friday, minus a 3 month hiatus in the summer.

Will just add to the chorus that DPC sounds absolutely horrendous for psychiatrists.

Have one very dependent and entitles patient who was wanting 1 month respite admissions every 3 months… he’d book themselves in to see me every day if he could.

Only way I see this being useful is if you build a business with multiple providers (SW, NPs, possibly a spa) where you provide unlimited access to mid levels or low tier assistants (SWs, clerk) for handling a lot of non-psych stuff, with a psych visit rolled in once a month or so for one or two hours. You'd charge a lot more (like 2k per month per patient) and do a lot less actual psychiatry -- and a lot more "wellness" to clientele. Oh yeah, you'd call them Clientele instead of patients.

I think you're missing the whole point of psychiatry, what it is and how it's practiced. No, you cannot do high quality psychiatry by phone or email or text. Half of psychiatry is the mental status exam, of which behavior and appearance play a big role. I don't want to "force" my patients to be more concise in their thought process when their thought process may well be the key to my diagnosis. Worse, I don't want them to ask their sibling or parent to write the email because they can't get a coherent thought together. That literally defeats the purpose.

Email and texts may work for PCPs, not for psychiatry. Same can be said for DPC.

Only way I see this being useful is if you build a business with multiple providers (SW, NPs, possibly a spa) where you provide unlimited access to mid levels or low tier assistants (SWs, clerk) for handling a lot of non-psych stuff, with a psych visit rolled in once a month or so for one or two hours. You'd charge a lot more (like 2k per month per patient) and do a lot less actual psychiatry -- and a lot more "wellness" to clientele. Oh yeah, you'd call them Clientele instead of patients.

Agree and I think a "boutique" psychiatry practice or med-spa with psych services included would be the best way to implement this in psychiatry and would be reasonable. Lots of support staff with patients having a "team" they're working with where concerns can be triaged to their physician/therapist/whoever based on the problem. Almost like a well-run CMHC for those more financially well-off. You'd probably still get a lot of personality patients with co-morbid medical problems amenable to CBT or whatever therapy is benefitting them, but most of the would probably be in relatively stable social situations given that costs would likely be higher. This is also a model that would require the right population though and would only do well in certain metro areas.

Yes, the spa model might be able to work. It would indeed need to be quite expensive, however... I think we're back to all cash practices. :)

Cheers
Josh
C 316.734.8096

I'd love to pick your brain on this as I am a psychologist looking for new ways to bring in a higher volume of patients and not rely on insurances (I am currently an insurance based practice).

You know, a DPC model that only focused on Schizophrenia, maybe legit Bipolar I, where the affluent family members covered monthly/annual fee, and you were the one to do the injections, and sort of did the SW level duties, could possibly be a model where DPC is applied to Psych.

Or perhaps an MRDD population with parental/family guardians as the ones paying.

You know, a DPC model that only focused on Schizophrenia, maybe legit Bipolar I, where the affluent family members covered monthly/annual fee, and you were the one to do the injections, and sort of did the SW level duties, could possibly be a model where DPC is applied to Psych.

Or perhaps an MRDD population with parental/family guardians as the ones paying.
That would be amazing if someone had a whole team of various developmental specialists, etc, all through cash pay. Of course it would only make sense in maybe the top 5-10 wealthiest metros in the richest country in the world, but oh boy that would be amazing for the people who need it.

Yeah, both pops would only be viable in top metros.

I've had few parents over the years call up wanting to do cash for their kids to get them in, but I've since stopped seeing any schizophrenia because they really need those SW chasing them and injectables - which I just didn't have. But a Psychiatrist who was getting paid enough by the affluent parents, could in theory wear both hats and use injurance for the injectable Rx coverage.

That would be amazing if someone had a whole team of various developmental specialists, etc, all through cash pay. Of course it would only make sense in maybe the top 5-10 wealthiest metros in the richest country in the world, but oh boy that would be amazing for the people who need it.
Yeah, both pops would only be viable in top metros.

I've had few parents over the years call up wanting to do cash for their kids to get them in, but I've since stopped seeing any schizophrenia because they really need those SW chasing them and injectables - which I just didn't have. But a Psychiatrist who was getting paid enough by the affluent parents, could in theory wear both hats and use injurance for the injectable Rx coverage.

How much do you think you’d need to be paid per patient to do this? I see so, so many adults come into our ER whose families are desperately seeking help but where the needed care/support isn’t available. Would probably be viable where I’m at for fairly reasonable costs…

How much do you think you’d need to be paid per patient to do this? I see so, so many adults come into our ER whose families are desperately seeking help but where the needed care/support isn’t available. Would probably be viable where I’m at for fairly reasonable costs…

For the MRDD one with the "team" of developmental specialists? Literally 10s of thousands of dollars a year for proper support. The psychiatry appointments once every month or two are actually the cheapest parts of all this when you take into account the case managers, behavioral specialists coming out multiple times a week, aides, etc.

Patients with even moderate ID/DD/ASD often require very behaviorally based therapy approaches which require people there to frequently reassess behaviors, adjust reinforcers, make sure they're being implemented consistently and review the responses to intervention, along with low ratio daily support. Good group homes will do this well, I have a few patients in group homes that do a great job of this.

Do reverse math.
How much you want to make?
How much overhead?
How much time per patient when acute?
How much time per patient when stable?

300K income?
3 hour per patient when off meds, I.e. getting updates from family... driving to family home when patient refuses to travel... or driving to xyz location to locate patient... doing assessment to document status... then deciding and implementing whatever is necessary. Court paperwork to get admitted?
But once in ED if you have privileges there you might be able to roll in when talking with ED doc, utilize LAI there, and then get discharged same moment if not too decompensated. Some states have civil commitments, with LAI permissible, so if so, knowing those laws thoroughly, and if able, go to home, pull out documents re-iterate to patient court order, and proceed with injection. Need to also know the local LEO to have a good 1-2 go-to-officers to assist when/if necessary.

See patients monthly to hopefully stave off bigger decompensation, or perhaps longer if truly really stable and have the history to do so. But assume monthly visits.

Let's assume solo practice no assistant. 70K overhead? Sharps administration disposal stuff. EKG? Own lab machine on site to run CMP/HgA1c? Perhaps even own Clozaril lab draws? UDS testing on site as part of this mini CLIA lab. Gas/vehicle/insurance costs for onsite visits when needed.

3 new pts per month? 5 acute /decompensation per month =24 hours
75 pts stable, follow up monthly. 30 min visit? =37.5 hours
[*could possible do an even group visit / shared medical appointment every Tuesday evening for 3 hours]

~61 hours per month, divided by 4 = ~15 hours per week

370k annual / 75 patient panel =5k per patient or $416/month
370k annual / 120 patient panel =$3,080 per patient or $256/month *24hrs per week

The best way to extrapolate patient panel that one doc could handle would be to draw from ones experience with CMH clinics. But also understanding what the range of time it takes on decompensation days to get back on track.

Although potential for schedule to be lighter in hours, one truly needs to be available 24 hours to thwart prolonged hospitalizations if able - as this is a marketing point to family for paying thousands out of pocket. Have a contract with family that requires they update you weekly on an app, or on chart, or something, so that you know patient status, so can try to head off decompensations early, address during the week and not have your weekend disrupted. If patient's families aren't inputting routine follow up collateral reports on this chart / app, might not be right family/patient for the practice?

Definitely room to enhance this practice plan rough draft.

For the MRDD one with the "team" of developmental specialists? Literally 10s of thousands of dollars a year for proper support. The psychiatry appointments once every month or two are actually the cheapest parts of all this when you take into account the case managers, behavioral specialists coming out multiple times a week, aides, etc.

Patients with even moderate ID/DD/ASD often require very behaviorally based therapy approaches which require people there to frequently reassess behaviors, adjust reinforcers, make sure they're being implemented consistently and review the responses to intervention, along with low ratio daily support. Good group homes will do this well, I have a few patients in group homes that do a great job of this.

Right, was just curious what people thought that would cost. I encounter more than a few families that could and would pay 10s of thousands a year for this service. During my outpatient year in residency I had a lot of IDD patients whose families were paying that or more for them to be I group homes associated with programs.

370k annual / 75 patient panel =5k per patient or $416/month
370k annual / 120 patient panel =$3,080 per patient or $256/month *24hrs per week

Interesting math. If this was truly feasible in this set up you could probably have a full or nearly full clinic where I’m at in 6 months with the right networking. I’ve met families that would pay $1k/mo in a heartbeat for stability. You could accomplish this in any decent sized metro if those numbers hold true. I realize implementing it is a whole different beast than just talking about it, but could probably be reasonably feasible if someone knew what they were doing and actually wanted to do it.

300 patients is a lot. 500 patients is unbearable. 600 patients is insane

300 patients is a lot. 500 patients is unbearable. 600 patients is insane

I mean I bet I have between 400-500 active (so seeing at least every 3 months) patients at any one time. I do 4 new intakes a week, so say 26 hours of followups a week x2= 52 x4= 208. Certain proportion are going to be every 3 months, some proportion are monthly for a while so call it every 2-3 months on average, so prob somewhere north of 420+ people who are regularly following up at any one time. I also have a handful of college kids I just see back on breaks.

Right, was just curious what people thought that would cost. I encounter more than a few families that could and would pay 10s of thousands a year for this service. During my outpatient year in residency I had a lot of IDD patients whose families were paying that or more for them to be I group homes associated with programs.

Interesting math. If this was truly feasible in this set up you could probably have a full or nearly full clinic where I’m at in 6 months with the right networking. I’ve met families that would pay $1k/mo in a heartbeat for stability. You could accomplish this in any decent sized metro if those numbers hold true. I realize implementing it is a whole different beast than just talking about it, but could probably be reasonably feasible if someone knew what they were doing and actually wanted to do it.

I think the problem is that the patients wanting to sign up for this will want to be seen 1-4x/month. At $250-350/month for 1-4 visits, this is cheaper than what i charge per visit. Patients will see it as a deal, but you’ll earn considerably less than the average cash psych. These patients will want to discuss stressors, anxiety, insomnia, depression, etc and regularly plan changes. The stable patients that could be seen q3 months will transfer care to their PCP or a cheaper psychiatrist. Very few people will pay essentially $750-1000 for 20 minutes of your time for q3 month follow-ups.

You’d need to set limits on patients for visits, time, phone calls, etc. Overages may need to be charged. At some point, you have to wonder why not just be a cash psychiatrist.

The DPC thing works well in family medicine for families. I’ve used one in the past. Someone in my family is sick monthly. They collected a family amount and usually if 2 people were sick, it would be the same thing which made documentation/visits easy. It was easy to get appointments and staff were nice. Then they grew too fast. They raised prices and it could be 2 weeks to be seen. Now their DPC is worthless. Myself and others left for regular practices with more availability and simpler finances.

If it doesn’t work out in the patient’s favor, they’ll eventually leave.

I think the problem is that the patients wanting to sign up for this will want to be seen 1-4x/month. At $250-350/month for 1-4 visits, this is cheaper than what i charge per visit. Patients will see it as a deal, but you’ll earn considerably less than the average cash psych. These patients will want to discuss stressors, anxiety, insomnia, depression, etc and regularly plan changes. The stable patients that could be seen q3 months will transfer care to their PCP or a cheaper psychiatrist. Very few people will pay essentially $750-1000 for 20 minutes of your time for q3 month follow-ups.

You’d need to set limits on patients for visits, time, phone calls, etc. Overages may need to be charged. At some point, you have to wonder why not just be a cash psychiatrist.

The DPC thing works well in family medicine for families. I’ve used one in the past. Someone in my family is sick monthly. They collected a family amount and usually if 2 people were sick, it would be the same thing which made documentation/visits easy. It was easy to get appointments and staff were nice. Then they grew too fast. They raised prices and it could be 2 weeks to be seen. Now their DPC is worthless. Myself and others left for regular practices with more availability and simpler finances.

Getting greedy usually comes back to bite you.

I mean I bet I have between 400-500 active (so seeing at least every 3 months) patients at any one time. I do 4 new intakes a week, so say 26 hours of followups a week x2= 52 x4= 208. Certain proportion are going to be every 3 months, some proportion are monthly for a while so call it every 2-3 months on average, so prob somewhere north of 420+ people who are regularly following up at any one time. I also have a handful of college kids I just see back on breaks.
That's quite a bit for CAP. Between no-shows or cancellations (even with low rates) your total number seen across 26 clinical hours of follow-up has to be less. When you add in the kids needing active titration of medications with severe dysregulation/symptoms that are part and parcel for most CAP practices, it's very rare to be able to serve that many. I am part of a large group of outpatient CAP attendings, most of which are solo cash based, and outside of one high volume insurance based doc you would certainly be the outlier in active caseload.

I have no interest in this devolving into what the ideal practice is, but certainly for other trainees or attendings out there, 500 active cases in CAP is certainly not the norm (at least in the geography I have lived and practiced in).

That's quite a bit for CAP. Between no-shows or cancellations (even with low rates) your total number seen across 26 clinical hours of follow-up has to be less. When you add in the kids needing active titration of medications with severe dysregulation/symptoms that are part and parcel for most CAP practices, it's very rare to be able to serve that many. I am part of a large group of outpatient CAP attendings, most of which are solo cash based, and outside of one high volume insurance based doc you would certainly be the outlier in active caseload.

I have no interest in this devolving into what the ideal practice is, but certainly for other trainees or attendings out there, 500 active cases in CAP is certainly not the norm (at least in the geography I have lived and practiced in).

Oh sure but they were still scheduled in that slot and even if they no show or late cancel they're still an "active patient" unless they never show up again....they're just gonna call us a few weeks later when they're running out of meds :rolleyes:.

I mean the cash only people generally just work less hours overall and so have a smaller patient panel because they can charge more and see less patients for same amount of money in the end (no hate to them obviously for that). I take insurance and so 99% of the people I see use insurance. It's also actually the norm around here for most CAP practices to take at least 1-2 insurances. All of my patients are scheduled in for 30min followups so wouldn't call that particularly "high volume".

I agree 500 is getting up there, prob somewhere in that 400ish range. It's all gonna be a balance of intake to followup ratio but I'd rather not close myself off completely to new patients and space existing patients out a little bit if they can do okay or spin people back to PCPs. As I've mentioned before, I end up with a decent amount of q3 month appts whose PCPs won't take them back because they're on Concerta + Prozac or something (or just got another call today about a person I sent back to PCP a year ago who wants to come back now because things are worse again).

However, I'm not sure 300 is "a lot" unless you're really not working that many hours per week. Even for relatively frequent followups. Say you're scheduling 30 hours a week x 2 patients per hour x 1-2 month followups (so say maybe average f/u is 6 weeks)= 360 patients. Allow for some fluctuation back and forth for some new intakes, maybe some of your people space out a little more because they're more stable or you send people out/lost to f/u.

Oh sure but they were still scheduled in that slot and even if they no show or late cancel they're still an "active patient" unless they never show up again....they're just gonna call us a few weeks later when they're running out of meds :rolleyes:.

I mean the cash only people generally just work less hours overall and so have a smaller patient panel because they can charge more and see less patients for same amount of money in the end (no hate to them obviously for that). I take insurance and so 99% of the people I see use insurance. It's also actually the norm around here for most CAP practices to take at least 1-2 insurances. All of my patients are scheduled in for 30min followups so wouldn't call that particularly "high volume".

I agree 500 is getting up there, prob somewhere in that 400ish range. It's all gonna be a balance of intake to followup ratio but I'd rather not close myself off completely to new patients and space existing patients out a little bit if they can do okay or spin people back to PCPs. As I've mentioned before, I end up with a decent amount of q3 month appts whose PCPs won't take them back because they're on Concerta + Prozac or something (or just got another call today about a person I sent back to PCP a year ago who wants to come back now because things are worse again).

However, I'm not sure 300 is "a lot" unless you're really not working that many hours per week. Even for relatively frequent followups. Say you're scheduling 30 hours a week x 2 patients per hour x 1-2 month followups (so say maybe average f/u is 6 weeks)= 360 patients.
Right I do agree 300 is not "a lot". The folks who do 25-30 clinical hours per week do have roughly that many patients. There is a huge difference in amount of calls, PAs, IEP assistance request, step-up coordination etc that comes from having 1.66x more patients (at least that was my experience as my OP panel grew).

I was more talking about a clinic with wraparound services for families with adult (or teen I guess) kids with IDD/moderate to severe ASD, not just a straight DPC clinic for primary psych issues. Frankly, these patients/families probably need a CMHC where they can get solid case management, but unfortunately ime a lot of the CMHC programs have poor experience/care for adults with IDD, so those families end up flailing even with that support. No way a DPC model could serve that community charging only $300-400/mo, it would have to be significantly more. I was just saying that I've met plenty of families that would be more than willing to pay $1k/mo to get good care for their IDD adult children.

I was more talking about a clinic with wraparound services for families with adult (or teen I guess) kids with IDD/moderate to severe ASD, not just a straight DPC clinic for primary psych issues. Frankly, these patients/families probably need a CMHC where they can get solid case management, but unfortunately ime a lot of the CMHC programs have poor experience/care for adults with IDD, so those families end up flailing even with that support. No way a DPC model could serve that community charging only $300-400/mo, it would have to be significantly more. I was just saying that I've met plenty of families that would be more than willing to pay $1k/mo to get good care for their IDD adult children.
Right, there is a big gap between using the available local resources and the uber wealthy who can afford fulltime employee(s) for their ID/mod to severe ASD kids. Certainly there must be something doable in the middle that is reasonable for the upper middle class to afford, but given problems with scale and limited upside selling out to private equity, I don't see a lot of docs even trying something in this arena.

Right, there is a big gap between using the available local resources and the uber wealthy who can afford fulltime employee(s) for their ID/mod to severe ASD kids. Certainly there must be something doable in the middle that is reasonable for the upper middle class to afford, but given problems with scale and limited upside selling out to private equity, I don't see a lot of docs even trying something in this arena.
True, if someone was really passionate about that population I think many upper/middle class families would pay $15-20k/yr for their adult children to have a good behavioral case manager that comes out to their house 1-2x/wk to work with patient and family on behavioral interventions with a good psychiatrist who knows how to manage those meds well. I see many of these patients come through our ER and several end up in our hospital for months (we've had several who were admitted well over a year) trying to find placement after they've repeatedly gone home and decompensated d/t behavioral issues and lack of a good team with adequate resources that knows what they're doing.

And at $1k/mo you'd gross $300k/yr with a panel of 25 patients. Imo it's something that's desperately needed and completely doable in most mid-sized metros if someone had the passion and motivation to do it.

I've seen several psychiatrists including CAP offer unlimited visits for a certain $ amount per month plus an initiation fee. As long as you screen out personality disordered patients or highly acute patients who will call you at all times of the day and night and not have boundaries, I think it could be a viable model. DM me if you want their websites so you can take a look at their fee structure and location.