Do any of you in private practice actually do pro bono work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For about 10 years, I did not charge for any hospital services. If you go back and look through all the Friday threads, that should give you an estimate of how much money I gave away.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not there yet, but what's the upside for doing pro bono in private practice exactly? I could see using it as a marketing tool.

I do some pro bono work, mostly on the intervention side of things, not assessment. Currently I have a reduce rate (long-term) patient and a pro bono slot that I fill, as needed.

I learned early on that any pro bono work I do will not involve a 3rd party anything. Medicaid is a nightmare, and so are city/county/state funded groups.

Reactions: 4 users
Not there yet, but what's the upside for doing pro bono in private practice exactly? I could see using it as a marketing tool.

Principle B: Fidelity and Responsibility
Psychologists establish relationships of trust with those with whom they work. They are aware of their professional and scientific responsibilities to society and to the specific communities in which they work. Psychologists uphold professional standards of conduct, clarify their professional roles and obligations, accept appropriate responsibility for their behavior, and seek to manage conflicts of interest that could lead to exploitation or harm. Psychologists consult with, refer to, or cooperate with other professionals and institutions to the extent needed to serve the best interests of those with whom they work. They are concerned about the ethical compliance of their colleagues' scientific and professional conduct. Psychologists strive to contribute a portion of their professional time for little or no compensation or personal advantage.

Reactions: 3 users
You REALLY don't want to advertise that you do pro bono work. If you do, people will categorize you as the "free care" option. Then they send you all the BS stuff, and send the paying work to someone else.

Most insurance contracts will also limit your ability to do pro bono work.

It is also likely that most psychologists cannot handle the intricacies of indigent people in outpatient settings. Someone is complaining of sleep issues because roaches are biting them in their sleep? Patient has been standing in your parking lot for 4 hrs, and you have to leave? Patient is stressed because they are out of food and money? You don't have the community resources to handle that.

Do charity quietly.

Reactions: 16 users
Psychologists establish relationships of trust with those with whom they work. They are aware of their professional and scientific responsibilities to society and to the specific communities in which they work. Psychologists uphold professional standards of conduct, clarify their professional roles and obligations, accept appropriate responsibility for their behavior, and seek to manage conflicts of interest that could lead to exploitation or harm. Psychologists consult with, refer to, or cooperate with other professionals and institutions to the extent needed to serve the best interests of those with whom they work. They are concerned about the ethical compliance of their colleagues' scientific and professional conduct. Psychologists strive to contribute a portion of their professional time for little or no compensation or personal advantage.
Remember that the last sentence there includes things like volunteering (including board membership) for local, regional, national professional organizations, local agency professional advisory boards, community events (e.g. autism walks), giving a free talk a senior or other community center, etc.

If you do choose to provide pro bono treatment/assessment, you need to do so ethically. Even though no money is exchanged, you have the same ethical and clinical obligations to the non paying client. Don't skip the contract that states exactly what you will provide, when you'll do it, and what the client responsibilities are, including the fee you will charge (i.e. 0$). Be very sure not to deprioritize the needs of the pro bono client to prioritize the needs of a paying one- you're state psychology disciplinary board will not accept "yeah but it was a pro bono case" as a defense of any clinical or professional malfeasance on your part.

I can't emphasize enough what @PsyDr said above about checking any insurance contracts you may have to make sure it's allowed. You don't want to set your current going rate at $0.00. I'd also avoid doing pro bono for someone who has insurance that you are paneled with. Apart from not making any sense, you don't want to be seen as party to an attempt to avoid a deductible or copay and get the clientbin trouble. Finally, if you work for anyone other than yourself, make sure they are OK with it.

Reactions: 6 users
To answer the original question: I'm in PP and do one pro bono session a week.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No therapy or assessment pro bono work, but I'm part of a 3-person grant writing team for my kids' PTA. We've submitted three grants this academic year, each taking the lead once. I think that counts.

Your PTA has a grant writing team? Man, PTA has changed. What happened to bake sales?

Reactions: 4 users

Funny how one word can invalidate the rest of the sentence.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure that's there because the principles aren't enforceable like the standards.

Agreed that it is aspirational. Like spiritual enlightenment. Most people will never get there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. Pro bono slots, sliding rate slots, and still earn very well.

Yes. Pro bono slots, sliding rate slots, and still earn very well.
Similar, except the pro bono and sliding scale is only for the people working for me that are still getting training and supervised experience. I did some pro bono work when I was starting out but I’m pretty busy with running a business while maintaining revenue.

Reactions: 1 users
Honest fella
I worked for free all through grad school - then got exploited during internship so....I paid my dues. I am very fiscally-focused. I run my practice just like any other business, whether they be selling clothes, food, etc. Each time slot has a certain value for me, so I make decisions based on multiple factors with $$ and time being my top two factors. Like Kevin and Mark say on Shark Tank "I don't get out of bed for X amount."

Reactions: 1 users
Similar, except the pro bono and sliding scale is only for the people working for me that are still getting training and supervised experience. I did some pro bono work when I was starting out but I’m pretty busy with running a business while maintaining revenue.

Well if you're the one providing the supervision, then you are doing pro bono work in a way. I imagine the profit margins on those training isn't nearly as high as those who can work independently.

Any Medicaid work I do is pro bono, since I don't even bother with the billing - simply too much hassle for too little pay.