Do any financial aid forms have to be submitted before you are accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mugatu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any financial aid forms that you may have to submit before you've found out if you are admitted anywhere, or do you just wait to get accepted and then get the forms going?

Members don't see this ad.

well, first off we should direct these type of posts to the fin aid forum.

But, obviously, you should have done or should be doing your FAFSA as we speak, and you might as well fire it off to any school you might end up at next year, it wont take but a few clicks on the mouse.

Make sure you have copies of yours and your parents 1040s and W2s to send to the med schools. If you've applied to some schools that use Need Access (sinai or cornell for ex) or the PROFILE (emory for ex) I'd start filling out those too. BUT, some schools specify you cant SEND them their institutional application/need access/profile/tax forms until you're accepted, and some will let you. Some schools (temple) you have to ask them for their institutional application instead of them just sending it to you by default (jefferson). So, check with each of the schools you're applying to to see what you can do now :)

FAFSA deadline is March 15 for most schools!!! Get off SDN and do your taxes for gods sake!!:eek: It won't make or break your acceptance, but it may make/break whether you can afford to go to the school you matriculate at (which is more important than the acceptance itself).

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the location of the FAFSA website?

Many thanks,
AB

DW, has anyone told you lately how damn cool you are?

Originally posted by Mike59
FAFSA deadline is March 15 for most schools!!! Get off SDN and do your taxes for gods sake!!:eek: It won't make or break your acceptance, but it may make/break whether you can afford to go to the school you matriculate at (which is more important than the acceptance itself).

I read on the FAFSA somewhere that you don't have to have your taxes done--it's just much easier to do the paperwork having done the taxes. Anybody seen a significant difference in how easy it is?? I only have two weeks to send in my FAFSA and I don't feel like doing my taxes anytime soon. :(

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
I read on the FAFSA somewhere that you don't have to have your taxes done--it's just much easier to do the paperwork having done the taxes. Anybody seen a significant difference in how easy it is?? I only have two weeks to send in my FAFSA and I don't feel like doing my taxes anytime soon. :(

It is MUCH easier to fill out the FAFSA AFTER completing your taxes. The Fafsa form references where you can find answers to certain questions on your tax form.

Also, if you need parental information on the FAFSA for a certain school (some schools require it), you WILL need your parents to do their taxes first. It's just much easier to finish that way.

The best thing to do whenever you're unsure about how to meet deadlines or complete certain steps is to contact the given school's financial aid office. Every school is slightly different on how they handle financial aid, so asking them directly is the best thing to do.

You should do your FAFSA ASAP regardless of whether you've gotten in or not yet. If you don't have taxes that's fine. If you're single and you file independant from your parents, the combined time to do your taxes(online with say: H&R) and finish and submit FAFSA should be less than 3 hours assuming you have all the parental information (mainly their gross income and assets) and your W2s n' stuff.
Some schools have really early deadlines (U of W recommends Feb15th, their deadline is Feb28th.)