DO and Uro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ratch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know most of the folks here are allopathic, but i would love to get some feedback from anyone who knows something about the DO uro programs, in particular grand rapids or chicago (do they chiefly draw CCOM grads?).

heck, i would take an honest experienced opinion on just about any of the programs (considering there are only about 12). Any help, its greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Have a buddy who matched at Cook County urology program. Sounds very busy. I'd check it out if you are going the DO route. As far as the allo route git some research stuff under your belt, score huge on the usmle, and get letters from big name guys.

Someone in my class matched allo and told me his letter from someone at NIH was what really got his foot in the door. Otherwise his app would have been tossed in the garbage. Thats with a 240+ USMLE.

vent, thats the problem with the allo route, acceptance rates for DO's are less than 1% a year or so, as i am sure you well know. the other thing is the research thing - when do most people do research? we had no time at my school between first and second year, which is when i would think most people would do their research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough to say what the actual match rate is for DO's applying to allopathic programs, but I met a handful of DO's on the interview trail last year. Remember, once you've got an interview, all that matters is the interview. No doubt it's a tough road for you guys, but it can be done. You just have to play the game that much better. Hitting it off with residents and attendings you work with on your away rotations will be key. Best wishes...

the head of urology at cook county is a DO. Dr. Ray

Its gonna be a LONG and HARD year....

hey yosh..thanks foe setting up this uro forum..
how did your rotation at WVA go? did you get a good letter from Dr.Z?

how many places are you applying too?