DO 3rd year need feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dial1010usa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need help. 3rd year is almost ending and I have one more rotation after this. Loved OBGYN but my Comlex1 is kinda on the low end 510-520. I'm not taking Step2 because my Step1 was very low. I will try very hard on Comlex2. I'm doing Psych next month.
What will be my chances for OBGYN?
Even though I have not done Psych rotation yet, what will be the chances for Psych?
I have passed all of my shelf exams and my gpa is >3.0 as well.
Getting good LOR from Surgery, FM and IM.
Do I need only 3 LOR?
During my OM1 and OM2 I have research project too and I was part of publication as a co-author, as well won presentations where we presented.
Thanks for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Need help. 3rd year is almost ending and I have one more rotation after this. Loved OBGYN but my Comlex1 is kinda on the low end 510-520. I'm not taking Step2 because my Step1 was very low. I will try very hard on Comlex2. I'm doing Psych next month.
Even though I have not done Psych rotation yet, what will be the chances for Psych?
Do I need only 3 LOR?
During my OM1 and OM2 I have research project too and I was part of publication as a co-author, as well won presentations where we presented.
Thanks for the feedback!
How low was your step 1? Was it over 210 or below 210? Just curious because what you consider low, may not actually be that low and may actually help you a little bit. I wanna point that you probably need at least 1 letter from a doc in the specialty you're applying for.

In terms of chances, both of these specialties may be harder to get into without both steps (or a low step 1), but not impossible. Focus on doing great on comlex 2 and apply anyway an see what happens, but definitely have a back up plan though maybe IM or FM or something less competitive you won't mind going into.

Do I need only 3 LOR?
Thanks for the feedback!
Your chances for OBGYN aren't very high on scores alone even if you target previous AOA programs. Auditions can get you an interview, but OBGYN is a pretty competitive field and I know some classmates this year who had much higher COMLEX scores than you with auditions and still didn't match. It'll be pretty difficult to dual apply psych and ob, so if you absolutely NEED to do OB then dual apply OB and FM. If you decide that isn't your true calling, then dual apply Psych and FM. Luckily as FM you can specialize and see lots of OB and lots of psych if you so desire. Unfortunately, no one really cares what your GPA is unless it's a 4.0 or unless you failed multiple classes. Your research project is a plus, but it won't matter much for DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I need only 3 LOR?
Thanks for the feedback!
Don't bother applying OB unless you have a Step 1 over 220. Also your Comlex is low. You will just be wasting money and will be disappointed on match day like many I know. Even if you audition, they usually take the ones with the higher scores because ultimately they can't afford to lose a resident because they didn't pass boards or in service exams. It is harder to fill an advanced OB spot than it is to fill an FM spot.

Also the FM programs with good OB are competitive as well. Regardless of what everyone says, I don't believe that FM is a replacement for OB. If you are going to do FM, you should be ready to give up the OB part. It is hard getting OB privileges even in remote areas.

I’d take Step 2 no matter how low Syep 1 was unless Step 1 was barely passing. OB is competitive and you need every advantage you can get, especially if parts of your app are below average for it.
Thank you!

OB PGY-1 here
I agree with much of the above advice. I'd say you've got one serious shot left at OB and that is to do well on Step 2. If you can't clear 235 on Step 2 then I'd go for psych. Ob has been a competitive match these last few years on the range of general surgery and right now you're firmly on the outside looking in. Even with sub-I's I wouldn't love your chances though I'm sure everyone on here will say "it only takes one program to like you."

OB PGY-1 here
I agree with much of the above advice. I'd say you've got one serious shot left at OB and that is to do well on Step 2. If you can't clear 235 on Step 2 then I'd go for psych. Ob has been a competitive match these last few years on the range of general surgery and right now you're firmly on the outside looking in. Even with sub-I's I wouldn't love your chances though I'm sure everyone on here will say "it only takes one program to like you."
As I mentioned my psych rotation is next month so I will find out next month. Are my stats good for Psych/FM?

As I mentioned my psych rotation is next month so I will find out next month. Are my stats good for Psych/FM?
You'd be fine for FM. As for psych, it would be harder, but if you really want it and apply smartly you might find a less competitive program. Either assuming you could do sufficiently better on Step 2, I would probably take it, unless you are just planning on FM.

Dont listen to this goofball OP. Residency is no longer a pure meritocracy, there are plenty of ways to make yourself competitive for OB;

-Take Step 2 like I said before.
-Focus on auditions/subIs either local to your school or around your hometown.
-Go hard on OB research. At the very least it beefs up your app for the commitment factor, and if you network and get a project outside your instruction it could land you a spot.

As someone who would basically be 90th+ percentile in EM this year, I dropped past both my subIs in favor of locals, despite getting a high pass from the first one and honors from the second, with perfect scores on professionalism and interpersonal skills from both, so it’s not like I alienated them. Ended up at a program barely 2 hours from home, and everyone else they matched was local as well with the exception of a Cali kid. Geography is your friend. At the same time though, apply FM as backup so you don’t have to go through the hell of SOAP.

Take it from someone who was told unanimously by SDN that they’d never make it to medical school.
Ok potatohead lol. OP - do yourself a favor and check out the Reddit OBGYN spreadsheet for this year. See where you fall compared to others in the same category and where they got interviews..

I’d consider dual applying to OB and something less competitive like FM. I’d be fully prepared end up in my backup and just be pleasantly supplied if it worked out. As others have said above, you need to be ready to crush step 2.

I would find out what you're actually interested in first. OB isn't just women's health and delivering babies. It's a heavily procedural and surgical specialty. Psychiatry has no true procedural or hands on component. They're very different fields.
If you're the type who is going to be want to do something with your hands I don't imagine Psych is going to satisfy you.

But all aside if you're going to go for OB you should dual apply or be ready to soap. OB last year had a 60% match rate or something. DOs didn't do well at all.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
OB PGY-1 here
Why not plan for FM as a backup instead of jumping ship to psych? At least in FM you still get the opportunity to do Ob/Gyn to some degree.

I don't think I'm gonna take step 2. I'm going to take level 2 and trying to do well in that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Audition at previous DO obgyn residencies. You should meet all cutoffs with a 500+. I had friends successful with your stats at DO programs. I had others with a lot higher stats who were not successful. Ob has become a hat grab with the increasing competitiveness over the past several years. If it’s what you want to do then I wouldn’t shy away from the challenge. But yes also apply to a backup

OB PGY-1 here

Psychiatry has gotten as competitive as OBGYN so I don't think it's wise for the OP to consider psychiatry as a backup for OBGYN. In this year's match, 225 out 336 DOs matched in OBGYN (67%) and 332 out of 484 DOs matched in psych (68%). https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd...ds/2021/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2021_Final.pdf

The OP has to do really well on Level 2 (>600) and demonstrate interest in the field (sub-Is, research, and LORs) to match into either of these fields without Step 2. But as scrublyfe21 has wisely pointed out, you should take Step 2 in order not to hamstring yourself and limit the amount of places you want to apply to. Some places won't even look at your applications if you don't have USMLE scores.

Psychiatry has gotten as competitive as OBGYN so I don't think it's wise for the OP to consider psychiatry as a backup for OBGYN. In this year's match, 225 out 336 DOs matched in OBGYN (67%) and 332 out of 484 DOs matched in psych (68%). https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd...ds/2021/03/Advance-Data-Tables-2021_Final.pdf

The OP has to do really well on Level 2 (>600) and demonstrate interest in the field (sub-Is, research, and LORs) to match into either of these fields without Step 2. But as scrublyfe21 has wisely pointed out, you should take Step 2 in order not to hamstring yourself and limit the amount of places you want to apply to. Some places won't even look at your applications if you don't have USMLE scores.
Psych is not as competitive as OBGyn. This is like saying DO schools are more competitive than MD schools because the overall percentage of acceptance is lower.

Essentially ever single person from my school that matched Psych had low 500 scores or lower, and maybe 1 of them took Step. Some of them had board failures. Yes you need to show dedication to the field, but claiming it’s as competitive as OB just isn’t even close to true.

Reactions: 5 users
There is a reason why I don't want to take a step2 because I didn't do well on step1. If I take step 2 then I have to release my step1 score as well which I don't want to unless I have to. I searched SDN and majority of people are saying I don't have to relate my step 1 score and that is one of the reason. I will do FM as my back up. Again it's too early to tell if I will fall in love with psych because I will find out that next month.
I never failed any of my classes or any shelf exams even though I'm an avg student when taking test. I'm not a good test taker.

I don't think I'm gonna take step 2. I'm going to take level 2 and trying to do well in that.
Then you’re probably not going to match obgyn. There’s a path to success in front of you. The next year of your life is going to come down to the decisions you make right now. Really, your entire career comes down to this. It’s one more test over material you have to study for anyway for level 2.

Don’t expect the same outcomes as people who held themselves to higher standard. Nothing works like that. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
There is a reason why I don't want to take a step2 because I didn't do well on step1. If I take step 2 then I have to release my step1 score as well which I don't want to unless I have to. I searched SDN and majority of people are saying I don't have to relate my step 1 score and that is one of the reason. I will do FM as my back up. Again it's too early to tell if I will fall in love with psych because I will find out that next month.
I never failed any of my classes or any shelf exams even though I'm an avg student when taking test. I'm not a good test taker.
For OB you are most likely even worse off not having a Step.

Tbf step 2 was a lot better than step 1 because of the clinical medicine.

How low are we talking about? Honestly, with step 1 moving to P/F a lot of PDs have started looking at step 2 a lot more now. So as long you passed it, I would take step 2 and try to do better.

As a DO psych resident this just is not true. OBGYN and psych are in no way comparable in terms of competitiveness. You are misreading the data. You will need to take a look at charting outcomes for last year to get an accurate calculation for the match rate. Also, look at factors such as board scores. While psych has a relatively high non-match rate, it remains one of the lowest average board scores among specialties.

Reactions: 4 users
As a DO psych resident this just is not true. OBGYN and psych are in no way comparable in terms of competitiveness. You are misreading the data. You will need to take a look at charting outcomes for last year to get an accurate calculation for the match rate. Also, look at factors such as board scores. While psych has a relatively high non-match rate, it remains one of the lowest average board scores among specialties.
Thanks! Can you please elaborate more?

Don't bother applying OB unless you have a Step 1 over 220. Also your Comlex is low. You will just be wasting money and will be disappointed on match day like many I know. Even if you audition, they usually take the ones with the higher scores because ultimately they can't afford to lose a resident because they didn't pass boards or in service exams. It is harder to fill an advanced OB spot than it is to fill an FM spot.

Also the FM programs with good OB are competitive as well. Regardless of what everyone says, I don't believe that FM is a replacement for OB. If you are going to do FM, you should be ready to give up the OB part. It is hard getting OB privileges even in remote areas.
Can only speak for my area but OB privileges are EASY to get. We prefer FM docs who want OB privileges

Can only speak for my area but OB privileges are EASY to get. We prefer FM docs who want OB privileges
I was asking your psych experience. Can you please tell more about that? I can send pvt message.

All of your questions can be answered by charting outcomes. Average COMLEX scores for matched DOs in Psych were 527 and 555 for Level 1 and 2 CE. Average COMLEX scores for matched DOs in OB were 569 and 608 for Level 1 and 2 CE. Matching rate for a DO with ~500 on Level 1 is ~70% for psych and ~50% for OB. Basically Psych should not be your backup, but it is less competitive than OB.

Regardless of which you apply to Step 2 would help assuming you could get 230+, even if you have a 205/210+ for Step 1. If you have less than that, I'd be worried you wouldn't pass Step 2, in which case you shouldn't take it.

Also regardless of which you choose, OB or Psych, I would keep FM as a backup.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
@Opie, i know someone matched comlex < 420, repeated a year, no step 1 nor step 2. Matched University OBGYN.

• Inappropriate
Just do FM already.

It has psych AND OB and basically whatever else you wanna make of it.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
@Opie, i know someone matched comlex < 420, repeated a year, no step 1 nor step 2. Matched University OBGYN.
This post is not at all helpful or realistic. Following these kind of anecdotes will end up with someone not matching much more often than not.

Reactions: 5 users
This post is not at all helpful or realistic. Following these kind of anecdotes will end up with someone not matching much more often than not.
You're right, it is not realistic NOR the norm. But when there is a will, there is a way. I imagine the individual had EXCEEDINGLY strong aspects that were likely deemed noteworthy.

You're right, it is not realistic NOR the norm. But when there is a will, there is a way. I imagine the individual had EXCEEDINGLY strong aspects that were likely deemed noteworthy.
So the 33% of applicants that apply OB each year don't have enough will so there wasn't a way? Just because you call for another card when you're sitting at a 19 and the dealer gives you a 2 doesn't mean you made the right call or should advise people to "FolLOw Ur DrEAmZ!" Be smart in your residency application or you'll waste a lot of money and end up without a job. Being smart can mean different things to different people. In the OP case being smart involves taking step 2 and either dual applying or switching to a less competitive specialty

Reactions: 3 users
So the 33% of applicants that apply OB each year don't have enough will so there wasn't a way? Just because you call for another card when you're sitting at a 19 and the dealer gives you a 2 doesn't mean you made the right call or should advise people to "FolLOw Ur DrEAmZ!" Be smart in your residency application or you'll waste a lot of money and end up without a job. Being smart can mean different things to different people. In the OP case being smart involves taking step 2 and either dual applying or switching to a less competitive specialty
I cannot even believe you had to type that out and explain it.

Reactions: 4 users
Psych is not as competitive as OBGyn. This is like saying DO schools are more competitive than MD schools because the overall percentage of acceptance is lower.

Essentially ever single person from my school that matched Psych had low 500 scores or lower, and maybe 1 of them took Step. Some of them had board failures. Yes you need to show dedication to the field, but claiming it’s as competitive as OB just isn’t even close to true.

As someone who perused the 2020 Charting Outcomes for both MDs and DOs, I am aware that psychiatry in terms of board scores is NOT as competitive as OBGYN. What I meant to say was competitiveness in terms of non-match rate among the USDOs and USMDs in these fields. I apologize for the lack of clarity in my previous post, and thank you for bringing more clarity and for correcting me.

Through personal and vicarious experiences (from Discord and Reddit spreadsheet) during this match process and through the words from PDs at programs that I did sub-Is and the advisors at my school, I can say that psychiatry is becoming more competitive and should not be considered a back-up for people who are deemed uncompetitive for other specialties. It's no longer a specialty where an AMG, especially a USDO (in case of the OP), will automatically get matched because of the AMG status. Non-match rate and board scores are increasing every year (76% match rate for DO in 2020 and 68% in 2021), and the same is definitely happening with OBGYN.

There will always be anecdotal stories about uncompetitive applicants who matched and competitive applicants who couldn't match despite having no red flags. It wouldn't be wise to make a decision based on those anecdotal experiences.

OP, as @hallowmann stated, you should keep FM as a backup. Or go with FM given that it has psych AND ob.

Good luck! Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions.

Your chances of matching your backup (FM) are unchanged even if you bombed Step 2 alongside your low Step 1 score. Taking Step 2 can only help your chances of matching OB while virtually not affecting your chances at FM. It makes no sense not to take it if you can pass (but ideally study enough to kill it).
Thank you so much for taking time to reply. I thought I would love OBGYN but as I'm doing more this month I think will go for Psych. I have Psych rotation next month and then I will decide.
I hope I will still match FM if Psych doesn't work out.