DMU vs SHSU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1159422

Hi everyone,

I'm torn between these two schools and could really use some insight/advice. Career-wise, I would really love to match into anesthesia/IM and eventually do a Critical Care fellowship.

Des Moines University

Pros
:
- Established school
- More research opportunities
- More faculty/Health Science students
- Brand New Campus opening Fall 2023
- Has YEARS of successful matching

Cons:
- Very far from home and family/friends
- Tuition
- Weather
- Letter grades
- Heard rotation sites can be a hassle (but also heard SHSU can be the same)

Sam Houston State

Pros
:
- P/F
- 30 min drive from home
- can keep friendships/relationships
- Half the cost of DMU (120k less)
- Will probably have more in common with classmates as 90% of them have to be TX residents. Might be a weird mindset but that's how I see it.
- Is in the location/state where I want to do residency/practice
- Great Board passing rates for a brand-new school
- Possibly easier to do Sub-I's and away rotations at TX residency programs??

Cons:
- No match results/rates to go off of.
- Less research opportunities
- Doesn't have the reputation that DMU has.

Appreciate any comments you guys have. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like things are weighted pretty heavily toward SHSU. If you're just looking for someone to tell you to follow your heart and go to Sam then here you go. I think P/F and having a support system is also very important

Sounds like things are weighted pretty heavily toward SHSU. If you're just looking for someone to tell you to follow your heart and go to Sam then here you go. I think P/F and having a support system is also very important
Haha yes I am leaning toward SHSU but I really don't know the extent to which I am kicking myself in the butt by going to a brand new school and how much that could effect my match results. DMU has had an impressive match list over the past few years and that's really the only thing that's making this decision hard. Anesthesia has been brutal the past few years for DOs... and that's with Step 1 being scored.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are the rotation sites at SHSU?
Honestly, I am not sure. They have a lot of clinical affiliations in Houston and the surrounding areas; they have St. Joes, Houston Methodist hospitals, and HCAs.... The first class are MS3s right now so there's only a few people that can really speak on that.

Honestly, I am not sure. They have a lot of clinical affiliations in Houston and the surrounding areas; they have St. Joes, Houston Methodist hospitals, and HCAs.... The first class are MS3s right now so there's only a few people that can really speak on that.

I’ve talked to a few student at SHSU and a lot of them say to run to another school if you can. It’s a newer school so they still have a lot of kinks to work out. I am also choosing between shsu and an oos school. Also conflicted between my mind and my heart…

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve talked to a few student at SHSU and a lot of them say to run to another school if you can. It’s a newer school so they still have a lot of kinks to work out. I am also choosing between shsu and an oos school. Also conflicted between my mind and my heart…
What did they say about the "kinks"?

I think if you're deadset on Anesthesiology then DMU might be the better choice for you. More reputable school, more research opportunities, probably more connections and opportunities specific to anesthesiology too. With the anesthesiology match rate being at 65% for all medical students and 49% for DO's, you might want to take all you can get. That being said I'm sure you'll be able to succeed anywhere you go if you put your mind to it. Having a good support system is also very important in allowing you to succeed.

I can't speak on the clinical rotation sites for DMU, but from what I've heard from current friends + students at SHSU you basically get shipped out of different places all around Texas. A lot of students are pretty unhappy with their selected sites because the majority of them are in rural Texas and are separated from their classmates. Also there are a lot of mandatory "useless" classes where you have to come in professionally dressed in. I hope some of that insight helps and best of luck with your decision!

Reactions: 3 users
Very true, I didn’t think to account for that. But I think regardless the point of it being a competitive specialty doesn’t change

But charting outcome does not break it down by applicant’s med school, just by MD vs DO and by specialty. Unless I have not found that data anywhere on their site.

But charting outcome does not break it down by applicant’s med school, just by MD vs DO and by specialty. Unless I have not found that data anywhere on their site.
There is no published data from the NRMP that is specific to applicant medical school from my knowledge.

I can't speak on the clinical rotation sites for DMU, but from what I've heard from current friends + students at SHSU you basically get shipped out of different places all around Texas. A lot of students are pretty unhappy with their selected sites because the majority of them are in rural Texas and are separated from their classmates.
DMU has had the same thing where many people may not necessarily remain in Des Moines and will go elsewhere for their rotations.

Reactions: 2 users