DMU vs AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool98

Reaction score
I was just accepted at azcom but have been planning to go to DMU and already signed a lease. I just want to make sure I make the right choice! If any current students could give me insight on the curriculum and clinical rotations that would be great! AZCOM honestly seems very fast paced and stressful with their exam schedule and quarter system but I am not sure what DMUs looks like because they just changed it up. Also AZCOM seems to have more stable clinical rotations but again not certain. I heard there are great loan forgiveness programs these days which could lessen the tuition burden at AZCOM

DMU
Pros
very low col
OG DO school

Cons
Very far and different from California
COLD
No guarantee of year long rotation site

AZCOM
Pros
Closer to home, Arizona feels much more familiar than iowa
Bigger city

Cons
Tuition
Fast past curriculum

Members don't see this ad.

AZCOM is too expensive. Don't rely on vague loan forgiveness options for a 450k-500k degree if you have a much cheaper option.

I second DMU. I was accepted to AZCOM as well this cycle but have heard from students there that the exam schedules can be quite brutal. Plus it is graded preclinical which just adds so much stress imo. Phoenix/Glendale is nice to live in but not sure that trumps the cons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just accepted at azcom but have been planning to go to DMU and already signed a lease. I just want to make sure I make the right choice! If any current students could give me insight on the curriculum and clinical rotations that would be great! AZCOM honestly seems very fast paced and stressful with their exam schedule and quarter system but I am not sure what DMUs looks like because they just changed it up. Also AZCOM seems to have more stable clinical rotations but again not certain. I heard there are great loan forgiveness programs these days which could lessen the tuition burden at AZCOM

DMU
Pros
very low col
OG DO school

Cons
Very far and different from California
COLD
No guarantee of year long rotation site

AZCOM
Pros
Closer to home, Arizona feels much more familiar than iowa
Bigger city

Cons
Tuition
Fast past curriculum
Go to the school that gives you a better shot at matching into residency. An extra 10-15k in tuition per year is not a big difference once you start working as a physician.

OP is saying DMU has no guarantee of year-long rotation site. Does that not make a difference for residency?
It's a lottery to get a rotation site, that's all that means. Some are year long and others could potentially move you across Iowa and other parts of the country for 3rd year. If you don't want to deal with that then don't go to DMU. But, as someone about to go through the lottery process in the winter, it's not as terrible as you think it is. Yeah, there is uncertainty, but there's also an opportunity for adventure and for potentially better clinical opportunities. A lot of the sites DMU utilizes are low staffed and could provide room for you to expand upon your clinical skills as you should 3rd year. Bigger hospitals could have you standing in the corner doing nothing but observing.

Just some things to consider. AZCOM is also outrageously expensive.

Edit: directed toward OP

DMU is about 100 years older than AZCOM, does being that well established make a difference when it comes to residencies and rotations? I would imagine it does, but don’t know for sure. Also, I was under the impression that DMU is considered to be one of the top DO schools in the country, if not number 1 itself. They also had a 100% match this past year :) AND on top of that it seems to be a lot cheaper than AZCOM.