DMU Podiatric Invitation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radxical

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I have not signed up for anything podiatry related (only MD and DO) but I have been curious about podiatry. Haven't had the chance to shadow but I was planning to do so before applying.

Today I received an email from DMU (one of the schools I applied to for the DO program) regarding an invitation to their school to learn about podiatric medicine. Again, I had not submitted anything that showed I was interested in podiatry so it was likely an email they sent to DO applicants about other program that they offered.

Back to the main topic. They mention:
The program will begin at 9:15am, and will conclude by 2:30pm. Should you attend this event and apply for the class starting in 2019, you will not be required to attend an on-campus interview.

I'm curious about this part in particular. Would that mean I would be able to attend and not do an interview at all? Anyone know if this is a good idea? I am heavily considering it. I might just be mistaken and have misinterpreted it. It sorta sounds like simply attending the event pretty much guarantees an acceptance to their program. Otherwise, if no interview is conducted, how would the adcoms be able to figure out if you're a good fit for their curriculum and program?

Has anyone attended this event in the past? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like its just an open house invitation to see the campus.

Hey guys.

I have not signed up for anything podiatry related (only MD and DO) but I have been curious about podiatry. Haven't had the chance to shadow but I was planning to do so before applying.

Today I received an email from DMU (one of the schools I applied to for the DO program) regarding an invitation to their school to learn about podiatric medicine. Again, I had not submitted anything that showed I was interested in podiatry so it was likely an email they sent to DO applicants about other program that they offered.

Back to the main topic. They mention:

I'm curious about this part in particular. Would that mean I would be able to attend and not do an interview at all? Anyone know if this is a good idea? I am heavily considering it. I might just be mistaken and have misinterpreted it. It sorta sounds like simply attending the event pretty much guarantees an acceptance to their program. Otherwise, if no interview is conducted, how would the adcoms be able to figure out if you're a good fit for their curriculum and program?

Has anyone attended this event in the past? Thanks.

Sounds like its just an open house invitation to see the campus.
But what about the "Should you attend this event and apply for the class starting in 2019, you will not be required to attend an on-campus interview." Any thoughts? It sounds like an open house at first but this line seems to suggest that whoever attends is doing more than taking a peek. Sounds like I would be getting my foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call them and ask! Pod school love questions from students, each school was happy to help when I applied

But what about the "Should you attend this event and apply for the class starting in 2019, you will not be required to attend an on-campus interview." Any thoughts? It sounds like an open house at first but this line seems to suggest that whoever attends is doing more than taking a peek. Sounds like I would be getting my foot in the door.

Call them and ask! Pod school love questions from students, each school was happy to help when I applied
I just got called back and they told me that if I was selected for an interview after attending their event, then they would do a phone or skype interview and not have me travel back to the campus. So an interview is still involved.

Very neat.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that your second DO cycle?

With 3.3/3.2 GPA, you are not competitive for DMU DO programs. Their averages are around 3.6/3.5.

If you still want to go to DO, you should apply broadly and maybe include some of the newer schools. If your school list is small and mostly of schools like DMU, your chances are low.

Otherwise, you should get DO acceptances somewhere with your stats unless there are red flags in your app.

Just don't choose DPM without shadowing and because you had 1-2 unsuccessful cycles.
This is my second DO cycle but it is around the time that it is a good idea to look into alternative career options, like podiatry, in case I don't get any more IIs in the future.

I did apply broadly. I pretty much applied to every DO school that did not require a DO LoR. But I did not come here to talk about my DO application or cycle. I was only stating that I am a DO applicant and the school extended this invitation to me to check out podiatry. I appreciate that you're trying to help but I am not looking for advice on DO. I just wanted to know if this podiatry thing is a good idea. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have made the thread.

And I'm very well aware to not apply for DPM without shadowing. Like I said earlier, "Haven't had the chance to shadow but I was planning to do so before applying." I fully intend to find a DPM to shadow soon so that I can get my application in soon.

Just so you get the heads up, you will be asked about applying to DO and why the switch during your interviews at DPM schools, they can see that you have applied to MD or DO before (you have to disclose in the application). Have a solid answer, and you should be ok. PM me if you want more info. I personally wouldnt use "because I couldnt get into any DO schools, so you are sloppy seconds".

Lots of people have used DPM route instead of DO and I would guess from the people I talked to, 95% are satisfied. Key wording is "instead of" not "in place of". If you wanna be an anesthesiologist, psychiatry, or OBGYN, the DPM degree will not get you there, and you will most likely be disappointed. If you want a good mix of clinic, diabetus, dermatology, procedural based medicine (Lots of drainage, lots of cutting, lots of wounds), and a bit of ortho surgery of the foot and ankle, then DPM might be for you!

This is my second DO cycle but it is around the time that it is a good idea to look into alternative career options, like podiatry, in case I don't get any more IIs in the future.

I did apply broadly. I pretty much applied to every DO school that did not require a DO LoR. But I did not come here to talk about my DO application or cycle. I was only stating that I am a DO applicant and the school extended this invitation to me to check out podiatry. I appreciate that you're trying to help but I am not looking for advice on DO. I just wanted to know if this podiatry thing is a good idea. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't have made the thread.

And I'm very well aware to not apply for DPM without shadowing. Like I said earlier, "Haven't had the chance to shadow but I was planning to do so before applying." I fully intend to find a DPM to shadow soon so that I can get my application in soon.

I just wanted to say that if your initial plans were for DO, you shouldn't give up because your stats are good for DO schools.

Besides that, DPM is great path for the right reasons. I would highly suggest to find someone to shadow so you can get an idea. Try to get a pick in the OR with DPM as well.

Idk if you will ge an accurate and unbiased answer here if podiatry is a good thing. Since it is DPM forum, we will say it is. You have to keep in mind, DPM path is like choosing a specialty from day 1 and not being able to pick anything else even if you find out later that you hate feet or surgery.

Btw, I am not sure about the details, but I have seen something on DMU website that they allow only to apply for 1 program at a time.

I am not sure what they mean by that though.

This is correct. It means that a student applying to two different types of programs simultaneously, in this case DO and DPM, will be unable to apply to both the DO and DPM program at DMU (2 programs offered at the same school) in the same cycle.
Thank you for clarification.