DMU-COM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so orientation is basically a way to get to kno ur fellow students right??? is it mandatory then??

Orientation is mandatory, however, pre-orientation is not. I would recommend participating in pre-orientation; it's a lot of fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone who interviewed on January 17th or 18th has heard anything from DMU yet?

Just wondering if anyone who interviewed on January 17th or 18th has heard anything from DMU yet?

Tacmedic, you read my mind. I went to my gmail account full of hope today, just to find an empty inbox. Oh well. I think they said don't expect anything until the Monday after the two week mark of the interview (Feb 4th). I interviewed on the 17th and haven't heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anybody else is as anxious for tomorrow's (hopefully tomorrow's) email about acceptances? No one has been posting here in several days, so I was curious. If I get in, I'm sure you'll hear the scream... no matter where you are in the states:).

I wish you good luck zmeister22. Hopefully I'll see you at DMU this Fall :)

Yeah, I am rather nervous myself about getting an email or not tomorrow. At this point I almost feel like I just want to know one way or the other!

10:54 and no email yet. I'm gonna go home and sleep until 5pm so I don't obsessively check my email today.

remember to check your bulk/junk email as well guys. my acceptance was hanging out in the junk pile while i was pulling my hair out of anxiety....checked junk on a whim and there it was!

good luck

Here's to waiting for tomorrow! Hmmm..........

I received the email today at 3:30, although it wasn't good news :(

Yep, alternate list. So from what I've read on here, its just more waiting till May/June-ish before I hear anything more.

I was waitlisted in late November/early December and got taken off of hte waitlist about a month later so dont lose hope....just send in a letter of interest and that might get u off the waitlist even earlier, just dont lose hope cuz u havent been rejected at least

Members don't see this ad :)
just got my first DO interview here! Definitely excited about this school.

just got my first DO interview here! Definitely excited about this school.

How did you get your interview request. My app was complete 2 weeks ago and am wondering how they let you know.

Random question, but...where's a good place to get your haircut in Des Moines?

Depends on what your style is. Do you like to go to a barber shop or a salon type place? There's plenty of barber shops around. As for a salon, there's one by school that gives a 20% discount with the UAAO discount card (you can buy one sometime during the first month of school when you get here). It's called Marc Stephens and Friends. My wife goes there and seems to really like it.

There are these two brothers (Edward and Sweeney) that live across the street from school that give free haircuts to med students. Recently Boner had his facialdo done by the latter.

image.php
sweeney_todd.jpg

How long did it take DMU to make a decision on your file. I have a 1500 deposit for LECOM due around 6 days after my interview. I prefer DMU over LECOM but don't want to risk loosing my one and only acceptance so far. How often does the admission committee meet?

How long did it take DMU to make a decision on your file. I have a 1500 deposit for LECOM due around 6 days after my interview. I prefer DMU over LECOM but don't want to risk loosing my one and only acceptance so far. How often does the admission committee meet?

I'd hope so

when i interviewed they said that they'd notify me 2 weeks from the monday after my interview day (and my interview was a friday) so just give it 2 weeks from the day of ur interview

My response was about three weeks after the interview. Actually, three weeks and a day. I heard about people that got rejected before I was accepted and they interviewed way after me. I guess no news was good news for me. See if LECOM will let you do a partial deposit like DMU does. The deposit for them is $1000 but you only have to pay $500 when you accept the offer and then the rest in late May. Tell LECOM you have financial troubles if nothing else (we are all going to be up to our neck in hock so it's the truth:laugh:.)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone received an acceptance after being put on the pre-interview waitlist?

I'm a little confused by this situation. Not to gloat, but I received interview invites from really good schools: PCOM, CCOM, AZCOM, Touro-NV, WVSOM, NOVA, and LECOM-B. I'd like to think that I am a capable candidate. Any comments are welcome.

I have decided to go to Western - I got accepted into the NWT which is what I wanted.

So one more seat at DMU freed up - best of luck to everyone.

Hey, I have a question for DMU students, I suppose more for 3rd and 4th years students. Do you have any help setting up rotations sites, like an advisor? I have heard most sites in the 3rd years are in Iowa, and then the 4th year is more electives and you deciding what you want to do. Does DMU really work with you to help you get to rotations, or is it more on your own contacting sites? I have heard this is a problem at schools and I was curious about DMU. While at my interview, I thought I heard it said that DMU works with students and basically has an advisor to help students set up rotations sites. Thanks for the help.

I believe the system for our 3rd years wils consist of a core site, so there wont be much setting up to do. But we do have various staff members who job title is "clerkship coordinator".

hey all! i'll be applying to DMU next cycle and its one of my top choices. i love to talk w/ students about their expereicnes, what they like or don't like, etc. etc. so if anybody would be willing to PM me and talk about these things that would be awesome.

i'm from so cal so it would be even better if someone here came from a place far from iowa (like souther california :laugh:) b/c i'm intersted in hearing about the changes in environment, etc.

also, i'm interested in going abroad through the global health program as well as thinking about the physician recruitment thing they advertise on their website. if anybody has anything to say about experiences with those that would be sweeeeeeeeeet. :thumbup:

hey all! i'll be applying to DMU next cycle and its one of my top choices. i love to talk w/ students about their expereicnes, what they like or don't like, etc. etc. so if anybody would be willing to PM me and talk about these things that would be awesome.

i'm from so cal so it would be even better if someone here came from a place far from iowa (like souther california :laugh:) b/c i'm intersted in hearing about the changes in environment, etc.

When I interviewed at DMU, I spoke with a couple of students from Southern California (I'm from Northern Cali). If you don't hear from some here on SDN, you'll get the opportunity to speak with lots of students throughout the interview day. The students were super nice and coming up to us interviewees throughout the day to see if we had any questions.

Good Luck :luck:

also, i'm interested in going abroad through the global health program as well as thinking about the physician recruitment thing they advertise on their website. if anybody has anything to say about experiences with those that would be sweeeeeeeeeet. :thumbup:

We have a fairly new global health program/department that is very active. There are a bunch of trips organized by the program. On top of that, the surgery club just announced it is going to be offering medical mission trips through its new organizational charity that they support.

I'm from the Bay Area but went to UCSD. Send me a PM if you have any specific Q's. Prions, where in Norcal?

Im from Las Vegas (as if you couldnt guess) and the only problem I have here is its cold enough to.....

frozenhell.jpg

We have a fairly new global health program/department that is very active. There are a bunch of trips organized by the program. On top of that, the surgery club just announced it is going to be offering medical mission trips through its new organizational charity that they support.

ohhhh exciting!! espcially since i want to go into surgery!! i've been getting excited about DMU, i always hear such great thigns about it. it may be enough to pull me away from souther california if i get accepted, but i guess time will tell!!

So, anyone?

Oh.. and the class would probably be already full by now.. ? right?
I'm super nervous about the interview. It's official. I don't do well on interview as I have bombed two interviews so far.. So, would you all who read this post wish me all the :luck: for me on my interview ? :D

Thank you!!!

So, anyone?

Oh.. and the class would probably be already full by now.. ? right?
I'm super nervous about the interview. It's official. I don't do well on interview as I have bombed two interviews so far.. So, would you all who read this post wish me all the :luck: for me on my interview ? :D

Thank you!!!
i love dm uuuuuuuuuu.
good luck, its a great schoooooool

Can someone confirm for me whether or not this is how clinical years are structured at DMU? I want to make sure I have the correct information:

Hospital Block: 16 weeks
- 4 week minimum General Internal Med
- 4 week minimum General Surgery
- 8 weeks split btw Emergency*, Pathology*, Anesthesia*, Radiology*

Clinic Block: 16 weeks
- 8 weeks Core Family Practic Clinic
- 8 weeks True Electives

Required Clerkship: 16 weeks
- 4 weeks General Pediatrics
- 4 weeks OB/GYN
- 4 weeks Psychiatry
- 4 weeks Elective Subject (within Primary Care field)

Fourth Year Rotations:

-4 weeks of Family Practice
-4 weeks of Community or Rural Medicine

This was from an old post, but I'm not sure if this is still accurate.

I have an interview at DMU on Friday, February 29th. Will any of you guys be around that day?

Mine's on Thursday. Btw, I don't think the class is full yet...or even 3/4 full. I'm sure we'll hear at our interviews.

i recently sent in a conditions form to DMU. i didnt get any type of confirmation email, stating that they had recieved it.
I was wondering if anyone else had recieved one when they sent in their form and deposit.
thanks

I have an interview at DMU on Friday, February 29th. Will any of you guys be around that day?

I will be one of the tour guides on that Friday :smuggrin:

pm me with concerns/questions.

Does anyone know if the class of 2012 is going to get the exact same Gateway tablet PC as the class of 2011 or are we going to get an updated version? Also, I heard a juicy rumor that the PDAs we can get will soon be smartphones with a discount offered on the cellular service. Anyone else hear anything similar?

Does anyone know if the class of 2012 is going to get the exact same Gateway tablet PC as the class of 2011 or are we going to get an updated version? Also, I heard a juicy rumor that the PDAs we can get will soon be smartphones with a discount offered on the cellular service. Anyone else hear anything similar?

If they keep to the same trend, you will get updated PCs; ours are different than the 11ers. The rumor about smartphones has been going around but I have no clue if it is right or not. Just before we go on rotations we have two meetings about our PDAs so I guess we will find out then.

Hey, I have a question for DMU students, I suppose more for 3rd and 4th years students. Do you have any help setting up rotations sites, like an advisor? I have heard most sites in the 3rd years are in Iowa, and then the 4th year is more electives and you deciding what you want to do. Does DMU really work with you to help you get to rotations, or is it more on your own contacting sites? I have heard this is a problem at schools and I was curious about DMU. While at my interview, I thought I heard it said that DMU works with students and basically has an advisor to help students set up rotations sites. Thanks for the help.

3rd year is set up for you, you enter into a lottery system to decide where you are going. Fourth year is mostly electives and that would be up to you to call/set up.

Can someone confirm for me whether or not this is how clinical years are structured at DMU? I want to make sure I have the correct information:

Hospital Block: 16 weeks
- 4 week minimum General Internal Med
- 4 week minimum General Surgery
- 8 weeks split btw Emergency*, Pathology*, Anesthesia*, Radiology*

Clinic Block: 16 weeks
- 8 weeks Core Family Practic Clinic
- 8 weeks True Electives

Required Clerkship: 16 weeks
- 4 weeks General Pediatrics
- 4 weeks OB/GYN
- 4 weeks Psychiatry
- 4 weeks Elective Subject (within Primary Care field)

Fourth Year Rotations:

-4 weeks of Family Practice
-4 weeks of Community or Rural Medicine

This was from an old post, but I'm not sure if this is still accurate.

This is the list they have given us for third year, fourth year is mainly electives:

Note: the formating doesn't show up that well on SDN but , family medicine, ect, are under the primary care category and cardiology, ect. are under the medicine or surgery category.

Required 4 Weeks each of

* General Internal Medicine
* General Surgery
* General Peds
* OB-GYN
* Psychiatry
* Primary Care one of the following
o Family Medicine
o General Internal Medicine
o OMM
o Geriatrics
o General Peds
o ER
* Medicine or Surgery Subspecialty one of the following
o Cardiology
o GI
o Pulmonary
o ID
o Neuro
o Hem/Onc
o Ortho
o Plastic Surgery
o Urology
o etc.

2 - 2 week roations in:

* Radiology
* Anesthesia
* ENT
* Ophthalmology
* Pathology

Family Medicine: 2 - 4 week rotations
Electives: 2 - 4 week rotations

Hi
I'm interviewing on Friday. Does anyone have any idea if I'm vying only for a waitlist or are there seats still open?
Thanks!