DMU Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What apartments would you guys recommend. I am going to be heading down there in March and I want to get a general idea about them.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to add to this, We can do clinical at U of I affiliates, but not THE U of I hospital.

l_863dbb6b3242fca020ba1e23f4aa0b33.jpg

That's correct. My usage of "affiliates" was incorrect, but those affiliates on that map do not amount to much, since the U of I hospital makes up the bulk of any and all rotations/clerkships in Iowa City. You wouldn't be able to do much of your 3rd year just in Iowa City.

Just wanted to add to this, We can do clinical at U of I affiliates, but not THE U of I hospital.

l_863dbb6b3242fca020ba1e23f4aa0b33.jpg

from that map it looks like most of the rotations u can do outside of iowa only have one or two sites whcih means that if u go outside of des moines for rotations that ull be moving a lot during the third and fourth years from wat i understand......doesnt seem too appealing to me but its cool that theres an option to be able to move aroudn different sites in iowa i must admit

Members don't see this ad :)
from that map it looks like most of the rotations u can do outside of iowa only have one or two sites whcih means that if u go outside of des moines for rotations that ull be moving a lot during the third and fourth years from wat i understand......doesnt seem too appealing to me but its cool that theres an option to be able to move aroudn different sites in iowa i must admit

some of those places that have few sites, one good size hospital that you can rotate at for all your core (im fm psy surg ob er peds and some). Remember that the map shows sights not rotations. Although alot of those are single preceptors that will take a student for a month of rural family med.

That map is for the 2010ers, for the 2011 they are trying to keep us closer to home with fewer but better sites

I completely agree that if someone wants to live in a home, then by all means go for it. That being said, it's pretty rare (especially in this market) to come out much ahead of renting. You have to also factor in upkeep costs, increased energy costs, etc. Unless you're renting a portion of your home to someone else, it's more than likely going to be more expensive to own than to rent over the course of 2-4 years.

But I'm purely looking at this from the financial perspective, while there are a number of other factors that ultimately influence someone to buy a home - many of them you already mentioned. I have a dog myself, and there are many days I'd love to have a fenced in yard.

There are some added costs such as garbage, but in general they are the same. I actually send less on energy with my house then I did in my rented townhome. I would spend about 200 a month on energy (gas and eclectic), now I pay 90. That is the honest truth. I think a lot has to do with very poor insulation and I think that they cheated us. But I also own a townhome about 1600 sq ft, not a large home; so my carrying costs are lower (I don't even have a HOA fee).

I guarantee that no one losses the same amount of money owning that you do renting, if you live in the home for at least 2-3 years. I would be happy to be corrected if anyone lost about 30K on there house. Heck, I only spent 121K buying it.

What apartments would you guys recommend. I am going to be heading down there in March and I want to get a general idea about them.

What do you want out of your apartment? Close to school, allow pets, cheap, near downtown, near night clubs, quiet, family oriented?

the ngiht i came for my interview i just drove aroudn des moine sa bit and i recall dtown being REALLY closeby....would there be a lot of traffic in the morning time tho cuz i recall the highways not being that bad at all but my hotel was in clive so i dunno how hte morning commute woudl be from dtown

the ngiht i came for my interview i just drove aroudn des moine sa bit and i recall dtown being REALLY closeby....would there be a lot of traffic in the morning time tho cuz i recall the highways not being that bad at all but my hotel was in clive so i dunno how hte morning commute woudl be from dtown

Downtown is very close and you would be going the opposite direction of the daily commute. Downtown is a great place to live if you have the extra money. It maybe a struggle if you are living off the cost of living portion of your student loan.

The commute is not bad compared to most other cities. That being said, I hated the commute from WDM b/c they have the dumbest speed limits (i.e. 30-35) and stupidest drivers. I don't mind driving from the north b/c the speed limits are normal (i.e. 45 and 55) and at least my drive is through a bunch of woods/parks and farms.

But the number of cars the length of commute is very very reasonable from any of the surburbs.

There are some added costs such as garbage, but in general they are the same. I actually send less on energy with my house then I did in my rented townhome. I would spend about 200 a month on energy (gas and eclectic), now I pay 90. That is the honest truth. I think a lot has to do with very poor insulation and I think that they cheated us. But I also own a townhome about 1600 sq ft, not a large home; so my carrying costs are lower (I don't even have a HOA fee).

I guarantee that no one losses the same amount of money owning that you do renting, if you live in the home for at least 2-3 years. I would be happy to be corrected if anyone lost about 30K on there house. Heck, I only spent 121K buying it.

For each individual, these numbers and experiences vary, but I'd like to point out that it's typically not just garbage that is an additional cost:
http://realestate.msn.com/buying/article_kip.aspx?cp-documentid=4980274

For each individual, these numbers and experiences vary, but I'd like to point out that it's typically not just garbage that is an additional cost:
http://realestate.msn.com/buying/article_kip.aspx?cp-documentid=4980274

Come on. Look at that list more than half you pay in anywhere:

Furniture?
Utilities?

The rest is up to the buyer. Most homes come with appliances. Taxes are an added cost but mine is part of my mortgage. Repair and remodeling depends on the age of your home. My house was built in 1996 and we have not had to put a dime into the house. I agree that these costs vary. I said I had a very unique home, but that is determined by the buyer. If you want a home close to school, it will be older and have more costs. Out in WDM, you may pay more or have higher taxes. If a student is looking to buy, look around and do you homework on a house

Do you own a home?

4th year D.O. student moving this summer with beautiful condo built in 2004.
3br, 2 bath, 1 car garage.
Located in West Des Moines--one minute drive to the newly constructed Jordan Creek Mall. Two other DMU students live in same condos. Looking to break even and avoid realty costs. PM me for more info. Thanks!

2. i recall them saying that clinicals can be done anywhere in iowa so basically in my third and fourth years i could potentially do my rotations in iowa city or davenport right??? cuz those r potential sites???

I did my third year core hospital and psych in the Quad Cities. The base hospital is Trinity at Terrace Park in Bettendorf, which is only about 4 years old and NICE. It's not very big, but on other rotations (like EM) you spend time at other Trinity facilities on the Illinois side of the river.

You could certainly arrange it to do your whole third and fourth years there, save maybe one. The hospital there provides some pretty nice housing. It's pretty well organized as far as setting stuff up as they're used to having a number of students each year. There's a DO FP residency with that hospital.

In my class, the QC wasn't a super desired location so if you enter it as your first choice I can't imagine you wouldn't get it.

Also, I'd enter my vote for living in Ankeny too. Lived here for the last three years and love it.

I did my third year core hospital and psych in the Quad Cities. The base hospital is Trinity at Terrace Park in Bettendorf, which is only about 4 years old and NICE. It's not very big, but on other rotations (like EM) you spend time at other Trinity facilities on the Illinois side of the river.

You could certainly arrange it to do your whole third and fourth years there, save maybe one. The hospital there provides some pretty nice housing. It's pretty well organized as far as setting stuff up as they're used to having a number of students each year. There's a DO FP residency with that hospital.

In my class, the QC wasn't a super desired location so if you enter it as your first choice I can't imagine you wouldn't get it.

Also, I'd enter my vote for living in Ankeny too. Lived here for the last three years and love it.

oh wow, thats cool...ill have to look into QC when the time comes then altho maybe ill like des moines so much by then i wont even wanna go to the QC but who knows, thanks for hte input

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!

I got interviewed at DMU on Feb. 9th and the AdCom said I should hear from them in two weeks two days--which is today. But so far, I didn't get an email nor a snail mail. Is this bad news? Help! Any reassurance is greatly appreciated. It's 7:47pm EST. Thanks!

FYI...
For those first years/future first years/prospective students who are a little nervous about rotations...seemed to work out just fine for most us this year and I assume will get even better. We received this yesterday:

"All 163 students that participated in the lottery matced to either their 1st or 2nd choice site.
144 students matched their 1st choice
19 students matched their 2nd choice
No one matched lower than their 2nd choice."

This was for the Des Moines/Iowa/Michgan lottery.

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to meeting ya'll! Let me know if you have any questions.

-bone '10

Hi All!

I got interviewed at DMU on Feb. 9th and the AdCom said I should hear from them in two weeks two days--which is today. But so far, I didn't get an email nor a snail mail. Is this bad news? Help! Any reassurance is greatly appreciated. It's 7:47pm EST. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much...they are a little bogged down and you should be hearing from them hopefully soon. Good luck! It doesn't hurt to give them a call if you're really worried. They should hook you up.

jbone, how many students were in your class during the first year? The current class is around 200. Is there that much attrition that you only have 163 by 3rd year? Yikes.

jbone, how many students were in your class during the first year? The current class is around 200. Is there that much attrition that you only have 163 by 3rd year? Yikes.

Only 163 participated in the Iowa/Midwest lottery. The other 40-something students opted to go to Ohio/Michigan/Missouri/Wyoming.

Only 163 participated in the Iowa/Midwest lottery. The other 40-something students opted to go to Ohio/Michigan/Missouri/Wyoming.

Ah. I didn't realize that there were 2 separate lotteries. Thanks for clarifying.

Hey guys...happy to join this forum. I'd say barring something pretty significant, I'll be joining your ranks in August!

Anyone see any financial aid info yet? On the DMU student portal it says that in mid March there would be an email going out. So far, I have nothing.

Anyone see any financial aid info yet? On the DMU student portal it says that in mid March there would be an email going out. So far, I have nothing.

If it helps, they said they would get ours on the portal by the first week of April, hopefully.

I checked again tonight and found it now says the first week of April.

I also found in my email (first time I've checked it) that I have an additional fin. aid form to fill out and send in with signed tax forms. Yippie- that can only slow things down. Do they make everyone do that, or was I just lucky? :laugh:

How do you get on the student portal? I never got my user id or password in the mail.

Bored 1st year here. If you don't have the address for the student portal, you can just go to the DMU.edu website and click on the current student tab and it should link you to the student portal. Have fun.

Hey, after researching, I know this is the most common question ever, but I was wondering if some current students could go over the positives and negatives of the 5 apartment complexes that seem to be right next to campus. I'll put in what seems to be the verdict from my research--please add any of your thoughts--and pictures if you have them!

1) 3000 Grand- Positives: Next to campus, quality rooms, good amenities.
Negatives: Price.

2) Imperial- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet (is this as much of a positive as it seems? Do people who use the campus' internet in their apt's have many problems?). Cost-efficient.
Negatives: Smelly hallways? Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace.

3) Grand Prix- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet, dishwasher in apt.
Negative: Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace. But people in 2002 were telling people to avoid this apt complex at all costs--is there still a reason?

4) Grand Colony-- Positives: Close to campus. Good price. Seem more stylish than Grand prix or Imperial but less than 3G or Windsor Terrace (confirm?).
Negatives: No dishwasher on site (I'll explain in a second). Don't think it gets DMU's internet. Add others?

5) Windsor Terrace: -Positives: Hardwood floors and style for less money than 3G. Close to campus.
-Negatives: No DMU's internet. No dishwasher.

--The dishwasher thing is a personal quirk--I lived without one my last year of college and it proved to be enough of a pain that I vowed if I ever went to med school I'd live in an apartment that did have one.

If you can convince me that one of these other choices is super sweet, though, I'm open to changing my mind (especially because if it were a 1br I'd only be dealing with my dishes instead of mine and a roommates)...

I paid my deposit about 5 weeks ago. Any good stuff on the portal?

Well, there is orientation info, student classifieds, a list of to-dos and eventually there will be some financial aid info. That is probably the most important stuff. There is also some links to employers (for spouses) and things related to moving to Des Moines- most of this stuff you don't really need the portal for.

Hey, after researching, I know this is the most common question ever, but I was wondering if some current students could go over the positives and negatives of the 5 apartment complexes that seem to be right next to campus. I'll put in what seems to be the verdict from my research--please add any of your thoughts--and pictures if you have them!

1) 3000 Grand- Positives: Next to campus, quality rooms, good amenities.
Negatives: Price.

2) Imperial- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet (is this as much of a positive as it seems? Do people who use the campus' internet in their apt's have many problems?). Cost-efficient.
Negatives: Smelly hallways? Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace.

3) Grand Prix- Postives: Next to campus, gets campus internet, dishwasher in apt.
Negative: Less stylish than 3G or Windsor Terrace. But people in 2002 were telling people to avoid this apt complex at all costs--is there still a reason?

4) Grand Colony-- Positives: Close to campus. Good price. Seem more stylish than Grand prix or Imperial but less than 3G or Windsor Terrace (confirm?).
Negatives: No dishwasher on site (I'll explain in a second). Don't think it gets DMU's internet. Add others?

5) Windsor Terrace: -Positives: Hardwood floors and style for less money than 3G. Close to campus.
-Negatives: No DMU's internet. No dishwasher.

--The dishwasher thing is a personal quirk--I lived without one my last year of college and it proved to be enough of a pain that I vowed if I ever went to med school I'd live in an apartment that did have one.

If you can convince me that one of these other choices is super sweet, though, I'm open to changing my mind (especially because if it were a 1br I'd only be dealing with my dishes instead of mine and a roommates)...

I'm sort of shocked that in the 21st century dishwashers aren't pretty much standard like airbags these days. I have no clue whatsoever how anyone lives without a dishwasher - especially someone with even a remotely busy schedule.

I'm sort of shocked that in the 21st century dishwashers aren't pretty much standard like airbags these days. I have no clue whatsoever how anyone lives without a dishwasher - especially someone with even a remotely busy schedule.

I don't even use mine, you can have it. They use up too much electricity, water and are overall annoying. IMO.

I don't even use mine, you can have it. They use up too much electricity, water and are overall annoying. IMO.

yeah, but you live in a cave.

what do you guys think of the new match list?

yeah, but you live in a cave.

Naw, just have no money and am anal when it comes to getting things clean. Plus, did you know not using your dishwasher lead to them leaking? Fun fact because that is what mine does now. Like I said, you can have it haha.

what do you guys think of the new match list?

Residency match list? Not bad, 7 people into ortho alone which is pretty good. Plus, three people got into ER in PA which is a positive in my book.

Eh, I can run my dishwasher 10-15 times a month, and it only costs $2-3/month - hands down worth the hassle of washing every single dish by hand (my time is far more valuable).

I thought the match list was pretty much a typical DMU one - impressive as always.

I paid my deposit about 5 weeks ago. Any good stuff on the portal?

Hey, I just realized I bumped into you in the COMP thread over in pre-osteo. I thought you had made a decision to go to COMP over DMU- are you now having second thoughts?

Yeah, sort of... I'm still not 100% sure on where I want to go. It's between Western and DMU for me. Cost isn't an issue, since both will cost me an arm and a leg. Anyone want to convince me to come to DMu? :D

Yeah, sort of... I'm still not 100% sure on where I want to go. It's between Western and DMU for me. Cost isn't an issue, since both will cost me an arm and a leg. Anyone want to convince me to come to DMu? :D

IMHO, DMU hands down.

Only thing Western beats DMU on are slightly better rotational sites and that it never gets below zero. That's just about it. And yes, I did interview there and was accepted.

Again, just a second years opinion.

IMHO, DMU hands down.

Only thing Western beats DMU on are slightly better rotational sites and that it never gets below zero. That's just about it. And yes, I did interview there and was accepted.

Again, just a second years opinion.

Well the weather would be nice, but having better rotations is a definite positive. How is DMU better otherwise, in your opintion? Just curious- please don't say something like every other way or something. :)

I was offered an interview at COMP and declined. I couldn't see spending the additional 6k+/yr for nice weather.

Well the weather would be nice, but having better rotations is a definite positive. How is DMU better otherwise, in your opintion? Just curious- please don't say something like every other way or something. :)

I was offered an interview at COMP and declined. I couldn't see spending the additional 6k+/yr for nice weather.

Speaking about what I have heard from other students in relation to rotations:

DMU gives a lot more elective time than most schools (pretty much all of forth year which is a plus for me since I can return to PA all year and get married..sweet).

The secretary's also work WITH you on your rotation sites. I have heard from other students that they had to do all the leg work to get the site they wanted. Here, we pick the site we are interested in, enter into a lottery and the secretary takes care of the rest; all we have to do is show up.

A negative on sites: We NEED more OB sites in Des Moines. I know I have to travel for that month and I am sure there are others. Another negative may be the ER elective rotation sites, I can't seem to find any love there. Hopefully, I will know more next week.

As for the quality, I can't directly speak on that. I have gotten some good feedback on the sites so, we shall see. However, I am unique in the fact that my real concern for third year is getting to perform and witness as many procedures as possible because my real "face time" begins when I move back to PA for forth year.

Hope this helped, most likely didn't...oh well.

Do any current students swim to work out? I know DMU doesn't have a pool but are there any that Drake has that DMU students can use, etc? I'm aware 3000 grand has an outdoor pool--that's not what I'm talking about :)

Could an MSI or II help me out with a question I have about a "typical day" in the life of a DMU student? I remember one of the students on my interview day saying that they typically go to class from 8-12 every day. Then, unless they have labs, they are done and can study the rest of the day. This seems like too little class in my mind, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, are there labs pretty much every afternoon then? I'm sure these are questions that have already been answered, but I haven't seen them and I'm curious.

I also wanted to ask about the Ohio/Michigan/Missouri/Wyoming vs. the Iowa/Midwest lottery. Are there really two matches? I was under the impression that they were attempting to keep almost all students in Iowa from now on. I may just be very uninformed, so inform me :) Thanks in advance

Could an MSI or II help me out with a question I have about a "typical day" in the life of a DMU student? I remember one of the students on my interview day saying that they typically go to class from 8-12 every day. Then, unless they have labs, they are done and can study the rest of the day. This seems like too little class in my mind, but maybe I'm wrong. Also, are there labs pretty much every afternoon then? I'm sure these are questions that have already been answered, but I haven't seen them and I'm curious.

I also wanted to ask about the Ohio/Michigan/Missouri/Wyoming vs. the Iowa/Midwest lottery. Are there really two matches? I was under the impression that they were attempting to keep almost all students in Iowa from now on. I may just be very uninformed, so inform me :) Thanks in advance

Yes, classes are from 8-12 and believe me, there is plenty of information to digest. Lab times will depend on the courses you are in. I would bet on 1-2 per week but this number can get higher when anatomy comes around. And some weeks, there are no labs. It is nice because you do have time to put down the information you learned that day and still be able to do what you need to do to keep sane.

As for the rotations...IF you want to do a third year rotation at some of these other locations...you can. However, if you want to stay in the Des Moines area (like I do) you can as well. I will be staying in the local area for pretty much my next 2 years. Hope this helps and good luck. :thumbup:

Right across the street. Commuting and parking can suck. Just my opinion.

I was just thinking this morning of asking if anyone had made a trip to check out housing recently....

Do you have any input on which places are better than others? Or perhaps more important, which to avoid?

Hey everybody! Welcome to DMU! You are going to love it here. If you are looking to buy, I posted my townhome for sale on the DMU classifieds board. You can PM me if you would like more information. $111,777 obo is what we're asking. If you can't move in until July that's ok with us! Have a great year! :cool:

I was just thinking this morning of asking if anyone had made a trip to check out housing recently....

Do you have any input on which places are better than others? Or perhaps more important, which to avoid?

http://www.apartmentratings.com/ is a pretty good website for looking up opinions on apartments. IMO I would discourage anyone from moving into Four Seasons Apartments. You can read some of the reviews on that website or just take my word for it; you will regret your decision. I never lived in any of the other locations around campus but, I haven't really heard terrible things about them.