DM: Crabs CF and ALL DAT JAZZ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhk43

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BS
Crabz:
which one gets the most selective pressure
??? SB on SD, etc? ugh totally guessed A

drosphilia eye/wing mutation, what is X linked?
i said vg and vg+

cystic fibrosis blood test?
i said check plasma fluid...

PS:
if a satellite moves past a moon, does the satellite gain momentum and the moon lose?

why does the ocean measuring thing float to the surface to send data?
water ionic disruption, cuz it has to float up to collect data...

why doesnt rain water mix into the ocean?
cold, currents, density?

humus? did higher K mean lower DIC (or whatever the acronym)
were they testing water samples?

Members don't see this ad.

jhk43 said:
BS
Crabz:

i said vg and vg+

i said check plasma fluid...

PS:
if a satellite moves past a moon, does the satellite gain momentum and the moon lose?

cold, currents, density?

Crabs...that was a tough one.. I think I chose the first crab (i think A?) because 50% of them died in the conditioning phase. The other crab, though it wasnt as likely to condition to the new echinoderm, didnt have any deaths from the conditioning process (therefor no selection pressure).

I guessed on the drosophila one, it was the last question I had (i skipped around) and i ran out of time.

What were the other choices for the blood test? The disease was seen in erythrocytes so i think I put plasma, unless blood cells was an option (its all a blur).

didnt have that PS question

blood test choices: errythrocytes, plasma, antibodies, leukocytes.

vg and vg+ both are x-linked. And I think the selective pressure was on the SB crabs, in which many died....

Members don't see this ad :)
Cerberus said:
ok, I chose erythrocytes because it was present in the blood cells or something like that.
I think the answer was: Since the test would be a genetic one (DNA fingerprinting), you would want the choice which had a nucleus (and hence DNA). Erythrocytes, plasma, and antibodies don't contain DNA. Leukocytes do.

EvoDevo said:
I think the answer was: Since the test would be a genetic one (DNA fingerprinting), you would want the choice which had a nucleus (and hence DNA). Erythrocytes, plasma, and antibodies don't contain DNA. Leukocytes do.

d'oh! (in my defense that was also one of my last passages when I was running out of time :( :( )

I think this confirms my feeling that I bombed BS

Cerberus said:
d'oh! (in my defense that was also one of my last passages when I was running out of time :( :( )

I think this confirms my feeling that I bombed BS
Dude, don't worry...there was one passage where I was mind-fried and rushing....and it was like 95% guessing...it might have been the drosophila passage...

I had this question on my PS independent. If I have a positive charge and I hold it next to a neutral metal plate, what will happen when I released the positive charge? I put it will accelerate towards the plate because you induced polarity in the metal plate and the surface closest to the positive charge should be negatively charge.

I had this form as well:

BS
Crabz:

I put SB on SB, since the highest % went to the natural partner

i said vg and vg+

I said the same thing

as per the responses above, since the leukocytes are the only thing with DNA, I put that.

PS:

I put the satellite, since it is smaller and has less inertia

I put that it had to float up to gather the data

cold, currents, density?

Yes, I put that it would form a less dense layer (no solutes in it)

I am not sure which question this is...

I was boggled by the sound stage one. Does sound getting absorbed cause increase in heat or potential energy?

Oh well, it is finally over! I hope that we all get within the score range we anticipated.

Treg
:)

Treg said:
I had this form as well:

I was boggled by the sound stage one. Does sound getting absorbed cause increase in heat or potential energy?

Oh well, it is finally over! I hope that we all get within the score range we anticipated.

Treg

Got the same on all the other PS answers, I think it increased heat since energy is lost and it has to be lost in some form.

I guessed on the drosophila one, it was the last question I had (i skipped around) and i ran out of time.

So did I. Damn last passage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had CM and the sound passage was pretty bad! Did guys have the Electrochemistry passage it was short but very hard, what did you guys put for the 1st question, it had to do with something turning Blue, I put A???

BS, what did you guys put for the Rf ratio?

I hate running out of time and guessing :mad:

frank51 said:
I had CM and the sound passage was pretty bad! Did guys have the Electrochemistry passage it was short but very hard, what did you guys put for the 1st question, it had to do with something turning Blue, I put A???

BS, what did you guys put for the Rf ratio?

I hate running out of time and guessing :mad:

I think the ratio was like .2 or something (i cant remember exactly but I think i got that one).

That electrochem passage was pretty hard and one of my last passages at that!

crabs: if 2 of 10 choose...exactly 80, 80+ due to fig 1, fig 2, etc

sound: both tests dont measure...longitudinal motion rite?

Treg said:
I had this form as well:

BS
Crabz:

I put SB on SB, since the highest % went to the natural partner

i said vg and vg+

I said the same thing

as per the responses above, since the leukocytes are the only thing with DNA, I put that.

PS:

I put the satellite, since it is smaller and has less inertia

I put that it had to float up to gather the data

cold, currents, density?

Yes, I put that it would form a less dense layer (no solutes in it)

I am not sure which question this is...

Treg

I had form DK, but I think I chose the same things you did except for DNA/leukocytes. I chose erythrocytes (the bastards>)

For the sound stage I put potential energy. But I think it was heat.

jhk43 said:
crabs: if 2 of 10 choose...exactly 80, 80+ due to fig 1, fig 2, etc

sound: both tests dont measure...longitudinal motion rite?

I think I chose it couldn't be determined. I thought it was either A or D, but had to go with my gut--went with D.

jhk43 said:
PS:

Didn't take the test... but.... wouldn't both gain momentum? If you consider them from their inertial (nonmoving) reference frames, the satellite and the moon will both exert gravitational forces on each other, and both will gain momentum. The satellite will gain more than the moon, obviously, but since it doesn't sound like 'negative momentum' was defined, how could one of the objects 'lose momentum' unless an external reference frame (non-moon and non-satellite) was explicitly defined?

I said SD crabs had more selection pressure because half of them died during the conditioning process also

I put erythrocytes for blood test question, but i'm thinking luekocytes if its genetic

I put volume increase make the thing float up because as volume increase the FB force increases making it float

I put less dense rain layer that why it doenst mix

i put vg vg+ but wasn't sure

for PS was it just translational motion (since COM didn't move) or was it also rotational equilibrium also. I put both translational and rotational equilibrium for the crate

Also would that charge particle accelerate along the magnetopause or something else?

I hope everyone did well, that damn verbal I really didnt like

I also wanted to know about this so called experimental section of the test? Do we all get one , if so what section PS V or BS

I counted 17 orgo questions total that mean BS was 78% bio and 22% orgo
works for me!

dhp98 said:
I said SD crabs had more selection pressure because half of them died during the conditioning process also

I put erythrocytes for blood test question, but i'm thinking luekocytes if its genetic

I put volume increase make the thing float up because as volume increase the FB force increases making it float

I put less dense rain layer that why it doenst mix

for PS was it just translational motion (since COM didn't move) or was it also rotational equilibrium also. I put both translational and rotational equilibrium for the crate

Also would that charge particle accelerate along the magnetopause or something else?

I also wanted to know about this so called experimental section of the test? Do we all get one , if so what section PS V or BS

I counted 17 orgo questions total that mean BS was 78% bio and 22% orgo
works for me!

There is atleast one experimental passage PER section. Meaning at least one passage in PS, VR, and BS is not counted towards your score but used in future administrations.

what makes a better antigen for antibody production?

simple carbo, carbo with lots of repeating subunits, large protein?

dhp98 said:

Yah! the verbal sucked, I think for PS section I just put translational motion, by the way was is vg/vg+ choice B?

jhk43 said:
what makes a better antigen for antibody production?

simple carbo, carbo with lots of repeating subunits, large protein?
I am doing a PhD in immunology and a large protein is the answer. Looking back at the passage, it said that carbohydrates could be good antigens, and that complex structure/branching increased antigenicity. The question had a large "repeating" carbohydrate, so I think that they were trying to trick us. Proteins will most always be more "complex". If "large protein" isn't the right answer, then these bastards are wrong ;)

Treg said:
I am doing a PhD in immunology and a large protein is the answer. Looking back at the passage, it said that carbohydrates could be good antigens, and that complex structure/branching increased antigenicity. The question had a large "repeating" carbohydrate, so I think that they were trying to trick us. Proteins will most always be more "complex". If "large protein" isn't the right answer, then these bastards are wrong ;)

Yeah, it was a trick. It stated in the passage that the more complex a something is, the better an antigen it is. They placed that in a sentence refering to carbohydrates though to confuse us! bastards!

Treg said:

A large protein may be the real-world right answer but we have to answer according to what the passage tells us... so I went with the large carbohydrates with repeating subunits. What did others put?

Cerberus said:
Yeah, it was a trick. It stated in the passage that the more complex a something is, the better an antigen it is. They placed that in a sentence refering to carbohydrates though to confuse us! bastards!

So it was a trick? the answer is actually a large protein??? :(

Persistence101 said:
A large protein may be the real-world right answer but we have to answer according to what the passage tells us... so I went with the large carbohydrates with repeating subunits. What did others put?

Yeah, I was confused by this, even with my background. However, in terms of antigenicity, the fact that it is "repeating" means that it is a lot of the same thing, so it is less complex than a "large protein" that has a unique conformation and sequence of peptides.

I am convinced that it was meant to trick people.

Treg

Treg said:
Yeah, I was confused by this, even with my background. However, in terms of antigenicity, the fact that it is "repeating" means that it is a lot of the same thing, so it is less complex than a "large protein" that has a unique conformation and sequence of peptides.

I am convinced that it was meant to trick people.

Treg

+pissed+ +pissed+

Please tell me the answer to the last question of the passage was "attenuated virus"...

Did anyone get stuck in VR on the dinosaur passage, with the question about "which of the following features of the ichthyosaur are not described directly in the passage?" I was going back and forth, thinking "they are all in the passage...." then finally I figured out that the breathing time was estimated by human experiments, not direct evidence. I swear I used 5 of my spare 10 minutes at the end on this one.

Treg

Persistence101 said:
+pissed+ +pissed+

Please tell me the answer to the last question of the passage was "attenuated virus"...

Yes, that is right. According to the passage, attenuated virus requires less boosts. In real life, it can stimulate humoral immunity via surface antigens and cell-mediated immunity by infecting cells.

:thumbup:

Treg

Treg said:
Did anyone get stuck in VR on the dinosaur passage, with the question about "which of the following features of the ichthyosaur are not described directly in the passage?" I was going back and forth, thinking "they are all in the passage...." then finally I figured out that the breathing time was estimated by human experiments, not direct evidence. I swear I used 5 of my spare 10 minutes at the end on this one.

Treg

That was one of my last VR questions and i ran out of time and had to guess :mad: :mad: :mad:

Persistence101 said:
I put large protein.. I had the same thinking as Treg.

Here is another VR one that got me (Trance passage):

Which of the following would most refute the author's hypothesis?

I ended up deciding that a wide variety of animals respond to music with trance, but it was hard to rule out the "deaf person enters trance" choice.

Do you remember that one?

Cheers,

Treg

Did anyone get a "Trance" passage for verbal? It was my last passage so I had to guess but what did the "trance" state most closely feel like? One of the choices was being intoxicated by a drug, etc. Does anyone remember the answer to that? Also, what would most weaken the author's arguments? One choice was if the deaf people felt the same trance of the music as others who weren't deaf. what was the answer?

Did anyone get a "Sorcery" passage? Was sorcery and "Scapegoat" the answer, or was it sorcery and "Societal something"?

Persistence101 said:
Did anyone get a "Trance" passage for verbal? It was my last passage so I had to guess but what did the "trance" state most closely feel like? One of the choices was being intoxicated by a drug, etc. Does anyone remember the answer to that? Also, what would most weaken the author's arguments? One choice was if the deaf people felt the same trance of the music as others who weren't deaf. what was the answer?

Did anyone get a "Sorcery" passage? Was sorcery and "Scapegoat" the answer, or was it sorcery and "Societal something"?

All I remember about that question is that I didn't choose " being intoxicated by a drug" for the 2nd one I put deaf people, overall I think I got screwed in VR because I ended up doing the 2 long passages and ended up skipping 2 short passages (10 questions total) now that I think about it one of those long passages must've been experimental, I hate these bastards :mad:

On the PS section I started to second guess myself. I first wanted to put that the crate was in both transitional and rotational eql. But the question said something about what the observer was seeing, so I thought from the observers perspective the crate was not in transitional eql. So my final answer was just rotational??

Persistence101 said:

there was another answer that said compared a trance state to a religious experiance, thats what I put.

aegis said:
there was another answer that said compared a trance state to a religious experiance, thats what I put.

Yah! now I remember that's what I put as well.

aegis said:

I think I put something about being bedridden and reality? I dunno...stupid guess.

Treg said:

I ended up deciding that a wide variety of animals respond to music with trance, but it was hard to rule out the "deaf person enters trance" choice.

Cheers,

Treg

The author was arguing that it was a social phenomena more than a physiological phenomena. Therefore, the deaf person entering a trance actually supported his point.

Treg said:

Cheers,

Treg

I put deaf person but that's because I ran out of time and had to guess something.