DIY Post Bacc Financial Aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawktux09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi yall,

Question for all my postbacc DIY friends. Im doing a postbacc DIY and I was told today by my financial aid advisor that I am unable to get any financial aid as I am technically a non degree seeking student. That means I would have to cover the tuition fully, but I cannot afford to do that for this semester. After this semester I should have a tuition waiver that would kick in.

What have you done as a non degree seeking student taking pre reqs

Members don't see this ad.

I would enroll as a degree / certificate student in order to access financial aid, take classes as planned, then once finished simply be done. There is no need to provide updates to the financial aid office etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I would enroll as a degree / certificate student in order to access financial aid, take classes as planned, then once finished simply be done. There is no need to provide updates to the financial aid office etc.
The problem with that is in order to access the degree program I want I would have to be a full time student for my last 60 credits, due to my work schedule that will be impossible due to class times.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem with that is in order to access the degree program I want I would have to be a full time student for my last 60 credits, due to my work schedule that will be impossible due to class times.
Ah, that makes things tough. It might require enrolling in an additional course as an audit or some other combination to hit the credit minimum. This was a common strategy used in my postbac program to access financial aid.

Hi yall,

Question for all my postbacc DIY friends. Im doing a postbacc DIY and I was told today by my financial aid advisor that I am unable to get any financial aid as I am technically a non degree seeking student. That means I would have to cover the tuition fully, but I cannot afford to do that for this semester. After this semester I should have a tuition waiver that would kick in.

I am actually doing a DIY postbacc as a 2nd B.Sc degree student. That being said, even if you were degree seeking you wouldn't really get much financial aid due to previously graduating. I myself get maybe 30-40% of tuition only in loans (no grants) from my university.

My advice to you (and what I have done myself) is to find a bank that offers student loans. Normally they do this through an Education Loan Lender, in which they can lend up to 100% of the cost of attendance at your school. I found the interest rates to be quite similar, to that of the loans I used to get in my 1st degree. Of course the kind of interest rates you will get really depends on your (and possibly your parents) financial history.

It would likely be a very small loan in your case, since future semesters you have a tuition waiver.
Another option would be to take a break for this semester until your tuition waiver kicks in if you don't want to take out a loan.
I hope this helps, good luck!

Hi yall,

I'll echo what someone said earlier. I had to state I was pursuing a degree, the only caveat being that I took all of my pre-reqs at the local community college. I'm not sure how that will play out, but it doesn't seem to be a problem so far in this application cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
A little update on what I did. I talked to my advisor and he switched me to undecided to where I can take roughly 90 credits before I have to make a decision on getting a second degree or not

Reactions: 1 users