Divorce finances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wamcp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is in their first year of med school. His wife is one of the worst narcissistic human beings you could ever meet. She is not in medicine and makes 60k, probably will never make more than 100k based on her field.
They have one kid who is 1 yo. They’ve been married for four years

What could he expect in terms of finances if he divorces now vs when he is an attending?
He is borrowing 60k a year and has no income. Would divorcing now mean he gets alimony and he doesn’t pay child support? Whereas as an attending he would fork over chunk of his income? How does his student debt get factored in?

Basically if he tries to fix their marriage for next several years Vs separating today, seems like he would be in a disadvantage, financially

Members don't see this ad.

As already mentioned, this varies by state law. Georgia allows temporary spousal support up to 1/3 of the marriage. If the marriage is longer than 10 years, then the spouse may be eligible to receive permanent spousal support. Child support is based on a formula that the state goes by that's complicated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Likely it'll be less costly the sooner he goes through with it. However, I highly recommend legal advice prior to any major decision.

Reactions: 1 user
He is screwed because in most states you can readjust alimony and child support as the income disparity changes over time.

Listen guys: DO NOT GET MARRIED.

And he should get a paternity test for the kid, always do that. The rate of false paternity is mind boggling.

He needs to be talking to a divorce lawyer.
State laws are different.

+ 1,000. Depending on the state, there can be huge differences. One thing I am certain of, if he is certain that this won't be a long term marriage, ending it sooner rather than later is likely to be a huge financial plus.

One anecdote, a doc I knew way back when going through a divorce during residency did two fellowships and volunteered on an extended medical mission to keep his income down to get his ex to accept a lower financial settlement to go away. Uhm, I mean, it was his devotion to academics and altruism that motivated him.