Diversity Supplement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY-Psych-Dream

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone completed an NIH diversity supplement with a PI? I'm looking to transition from clinical work to research and am looking for different ways to do this. The PI I currently volunteer thinks this is a good fit, but at a postdoctoral level (I have a PhD in clinical psychology), the main criteria they look at are underrepresentation in race and ethnicity. I'm not sure I qualify based on the NIH categories, but I do know that there are limited people of my ethnic background in research. If anyone has experience completing the application, please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

No personal experience but I know someone who has done this (also a psychologist) and it worked well for them. I would contact the program officer. My impression is that you face a bit of an uphill battle if you don’t already have a fairly strong background in research.

No personal experience but I know someone who has done this (also a psychologist) and it worked well for them. I would contact the program officer. My impression is that you face a bit of an uphill battle if you don’t already have a fairly strong background in research.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? At what level did the person you know apply for the award? I have an example of a post-bac applying for one, but I'm not sure what it would look like at the post-doc level.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed? At what level did the person you know apply for the award? I have an example of a post-bac applying for one, but I'm not sure what it would look like at the post-doc level.

The person I know was a postdoc at the time of the supplement award. The process was relatively fast. She was definitely from an underrepresented minority group and had been working with the PI for a couple of years.

Again, I would start with a call to your PI's program officer.

Will do! Thanks!

I just want to clarify, what do you mean by "uphill battle"?