Diversity question as a URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMCASTuesdays

I heard vaccines killed Jenny Schecter
Reaction score
Posting in the hope that maybe some URM ppl can relate to this, and offer advice. Or anyone really with experience in essay construction/ admissions. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed about the "how will you contribute to diversity" questions on secondaries. I'm URM and then also (like most of us do) have diversity in other areas (I'm first gen, LGBT, tri-national, bilingual, am living w a chronic injury).

I'm having a bit of a "pot too full" kind of scenario here where I have a lot to choose from and, though this could just be the immigrant kid in me, it feels sort of self-congratulatory to just write about every little obvious thing that makes me diverse. Med schools application pools are also (a bit) more diverse than they used to be, so is presenting myself as "special" and "unique" even the way to go with this kind of essay? It might be dumb to ask, but I have a lot of unique hobbies, should I focus more on those instead, or unique life experiences I've had?

Members don't see this ad.

In just reading this, I think the very struggle you are articulating is interesting in and of itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Posting in the hope that maybe some URM ppl can relate to this, and offer advice. Or anyone really with experience in essay construction/ admissions. I'm feeling a little bit overwhelmed about the "how will you contribute to diversity" questions on secondaries. I'm URM and then also (like most of us do) have diversity in other areas (I'm first gen, LGBT, tri-national, bilingual, am living w a chronic injury).

I'm having a bit of a "pot too full" kind of scenario here where I have a lot to choose from and, though this could just be the immigrant kid in me, it feels sort of self-congratulatory to just write about every little obvious thing that makes me diverse. Med schools application pools are also (a bit) more diverse than they used to be, so is presenting myself as "special" and "unique" even the way to go with this kind of essay? It might be dumb to ask, but I have a lot of unique hobbies, should I focus more on those instead, or unique life experiences I've had?

As much as you believe that the applicant pool is much more diverse, it’s really not. Everything that you just listed that is unique about you is still not common in applicants. It is mostly middle class to upper class white or Asian students that make up a majority of the applicant pool. If I were you, I’d reference the existence of all parts of your identity and possibly even mention a unique life experience, and then choose a part of your identity that has shaped you the most, explain why and expound upon the experiences that make that part of your identity so important to you.

Reactions: 2 users
@medgal98 @Coupd'Cat thank you both! That makes sense. I ended up kind of going the route you both are suggesting, and sort of zoomed in on the struggle I've had orienting myself within my different identities

Reactions: 1 user