Diversity in PT schools and where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jfudpt

Pre- Physical Therapy Student
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this post will get flagged or receive unnecessary hate but here goes.

I am currently in the process of retaking some prerequisites, and getting more observation hours so that I can apply to a DPT program in the upcoming 2020-2021 cycle. I graduated from undergrad in 2018 and have been working on my application basically the last two years. My early undergrad grades were a little shaky so I knew I needed to retake some of my prerequisite classes before I applied. I have a rudimentary list of schools that I am looking at applying to but I would like some insight regarding what to look at while considering schools from anyone who has been in my shoes.

My current (rough) stats:
Major: Exercise Science
3.2 GPA,
3.1 (RETAKE) pGPA
Im not sure what my last 60 hours gpa is but I am sure it is higher than my other gpas lol
GRE (taking in 2 months)
Obs Hours ~200 in 3 settings (1 inpatient)
2 LOR from PTs 1 from a science teacher
Spent a year working as a PT tech
And various clubs and orgs from undergrad

Most forums would tell you if you are on the lower side of application stats to apply early, apply to schools that look at last 60 hours, apply to schools who do not average retakes, apply to schools that receive less applicants, etc. This is all great advice that I am definitely planning to follow so you might ask how diversity ties into this?
Currently around 3% of students in PT school are African American and a good majority of programs I have looked into have no students of color. I am aware that to get into PT school you need to work hard and have good stats to get in so please do not think I am complaining about being mediocre lol. I am from the DC area and have spent a lot of my life around diverse groups of people and i just want to know if anyone has been in my shoes and how the process went for them.

So alllllll this being said, my questions are:
- Do any minority students have experience applying to/ getting into PT programs in more rural areas?
- Does anyone have any recommendations as far as what schools to apply to that are minority friendly or what areas to avoid that are less minority friendly?
- Do any current/past students have experience being the only minority student in their program?

Again this post is for people who have either been in my shoes or are genuinely interested in helping. The response "diversity doesn't matter" will not be responded to. Also please note, my question is not about leveraging my blackness for acceptance. Sorry for the long read this is just the word vomit that has been sitting in my brain for months lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I am Native American, as well as from Canada. And I do truly believe these two things have helped me get into PT school. Not that I did not work hard, but I used these two things to my advantage. I was told by a mentor to make your application play to your strengths, and to your uniqueness. So that is what I did. I presented myself as a minority with a lot of experience working with minority groups with a passion for a continued opportunity with groups such as Native Americans as a PT. I wrote about this in my main essay, I wrote about this in my supplemental essays, I volunteered in minority settings, in interviews my answers were centered around this main idea. Do I know if this is solely why I got in? Nope. But it set me apart from others stories and life experiences. In my essays to specific schools mentioned how I wanted to join their clubs for minorities. For example, the school I will attend in the summer has a native American medical students group, I mentioned how I thought this opportunity would be perfect to foster the act of service in me. A lot of schools I applied to had these opportunities to work with minority groups, and be apart of clubs that embraced diversity. I know a lot of schools have these clubs, but to say they actually are something worth joining I have no idea, I guess I will find out. Although, they reached out to me and sent me a package from the club. They have been in contact with me outside of the PT application process and because of that i believe they care about me. I don't really know if that helped, but that is my experience. My advice is play to the fact you are a minority and have the experience necessary to be a compassionate PT to any one.

Reactions: 2 users
I looked largely at schools where diversity is celebrated and also expected. As a career change applicant (will be attending University of Washington in Seattle in the fall) I have worked in higher ed settings and public education settings where as an Asian female, I constantly felt discriminated against. I lived in the Midwest and the South where I experienced that kind of treatment, and was over it honestly. I applied to a lot of California schools and my two outliers were Northwestern and University of Florida; one for prestige and diversity, the other for the great weather. I ended up committing to UW because I knew my background was wanted and desired to contribute to the cohort experience; I know other current and future UW students can attest to this. As a military spouse I also am lucky that I will be using the GI Bill and thus for state schools I won't struggle with huge debt. Definitely embrace the support that you'll get for having this in the back/mid/forefront of your mind. It is a terrifying political climate and people will diss you for putting this out there. Good for you. I for one totally get why you will want to be in a place where you don't have to explain your name/your "good" English/manner of speaking/way of dressing/childhood experience/reason for being there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sacramento State really values student diversity so I would check out their program. And Sacramento is a pretty diverse city as well and it gives you a lot of opportunities to interact and treat different minority populations.

Reactions: 1 user
I am Native American, as well as from Canada. And I do truly believe these two things have helped me get into PT school. Not that I did not work hard, but I used these two things to my advantage. I was told by a mentor to make your application play to your strengths, and to your uniqueness. So that is what I did. I presented myself as a minority with a lot of experience working with minority groups with a passion for a continued opportunity with groups such as Native Americans as a PT. I wrote about this in my main essay, I wrote about this in my supplemental essays, I volunteered in minority settings, in interviews my answers were centered around this main idea. Do I know if this is solely why I got in? Nope. But it set me apart from others stories and life experiences. In my essays to specific schools mentioned how I wanted to join their clubs for minorities. For example, the school I will attend in the summer has a native American medical students group, I mentioned how I thought this opportunity would be perfect to foster the act of service in me. A lot of schools I applied to had these opportunities to work with minority groups, and be apart of clubs that embraced diversity. I know a lot of schools have these clubs, but to say they actually are something worth joining I have no idea, I guess I will find out. Although, they reached out to me and sent me a package from the club. They have been in contact with me outside of the PT application process and because of that i believe they care about me. I don't really know if that helped, but that is my experience. My advice is play to the fact you are a minority and have the experience necessary to be a compassionate PT to any one.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I see your point because that is something i'm passionate about as well. I heard the phrase "lifting as you climb" as I also want to serve in the under represented community I come from. Im going to do some research into diversity outreach programs at the schools im looking into. :)

Hello everyone!

I'm not sure if this post will get flagged or receive unnecessary hate but here goes.

I am currently in the process of retaking some prerequisites, and getting more observation hours so that I can apply to a DPT program in the upcoming 2020-2021 cycle. I graduated from undergrad in 2018 and have been working on my application basically the last two years. My early undergrad grades were a little shaky so I knew I needed to retake some of my prerequisite classes before I applied. I have a rudimentary list of schools that I am looking at applying to but I would like some insight regarding what to look at while considering schools from anyone who has been in my shoes.

3.2 GPA,
3.1 (RETAKE) pGPA
Im not sure what my last 60 hours gpa is but I am sure it is higher than my other gpas lol
GRE (taking in 2 months)

Most forums would tell you if you are on the lower side of application stats to apply early, apply to schools that look at last 60 hours, apply to schools who do not average retakes, apply to schools that receive less applicants, etc. This is all great advice that I am definitely planning to follow so you might ask how diversity ties into this?
Currently around 3% of students in PT school are African American and a good majority of programs I have looked into have no students of color. I am aware that to get into PT school you need to work hard and have good stats to get in so please do not think I am complaining about being mediocre lol. I am from the DC area and have spent a lot of my life around diverse groups of people and i just want to know if anyone has been in my shoes and how the process went for them.

- Do any minority students have experience applying to/ getting into PT programs in more rural areas?
- Does anyone have any recommendations as far as what schools to apply to that are minority friendly or what areas to avoid that are less minority friendly?
- Do any current/past students have experience being the only minority student in their program?

Again this post is for people who have either been in my shoes or are genuinely interested in helping. The response "diversity doesn't matter" will not be responded to. Also please note, my question is not about leveraging my blackness for acceptance. Sorry for the long read this is just the word vomit that has been sitting in my brain for months lol
UAB really values diversity and is an amazing school. The Admissions chair is a fantastic person who is working hard to build a diverse community of students and therapists, and I can't say enough wonderful things about their program, even after visiting some of the top schools in the nation.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked largely at schools where diversity is celebrated and also expected. As a career change applicant (will be attending University of Washington in Seattle in the fall) I have worked in higher ed settings and public education settings where as an Asian female, I constantly felt discriminated against. I lived in the Midwest and the South where I experienced that kind of treatment, and was over it honestly. I applied to a lot of California schools and my two outliers were Northwestern and University of Florida; one for prestige and diversity, the other for the great weather. I ended up committing to UW because I knew my background was wanted and desired to contribute to the cohort experience; I know other current and future UW students can attest to this. As a military spouse I also am lucky that I will be using the GI Bill and thus for state schools I won't struggle with huge debt. Definitely embrace the support that you'll get for having this in the back/mid/forefront of your mind. It is a terrifying political climate and people will diss you for putting this out there. Good for you. I for one totally get why you will want to be in a place where you don't have to explain your name/your "good" English/manner of speaking/way of dressing/childhood experience/reason for being there.
EXACTLY! I imagine PT school will be challenge enough but I dont want prejudice to be the thing that takes me out lol good luck this fall!

Sacramento State really values student diversity so I would check out their program. And Sacramento is a pretty diverse city as well and it gives you a lot of opportunities to interact and treat different minority populations.
Thanks for your feedback! I will look into their program. :)

AT Still is another one I would recommend looking at! They are big on diversity and I believe you'd also be a good competitive applicant with your stats there as well. I interviewed and was accepted there this year and they even ask questions in the interview process on my thoughts on a diverse learning and working environment. Not sure if I am allowed to post links in these forums but if you go to their website they have a whole page talking about diversity at ATSU.

Hello everyone!

3.2 GPA,
3.1 (RETAKE) pGPA
GRE (taking in 2 months)

I'm a black Canadian Student in Detroit and 1 of the 2 present in my cohort of 36 students, Wayne State University (my school) values diversity alot during their application process but even with their efforts I found that they weren't enough. That being said, myself and 2 other minority students decided to create a student organization specific to our PT program that directly addresses problems that minorities may face either in the program or trying to get into the program. Feel free to PM with any questions i'll be more than happy to help out!

I’ll be starting at Colorado’s DPT program in the summer, and I believe our incoming class is ~27% minority students. From looking at other programs, I think that’s a relatively high percentage, so it may be worth checking out!

It's illegal for schools to accept students based on their race, nationality, skin color, etc. I don/t think they even know what your race is unless they interview you which many schools do not even do.
My experience is based on CA schools only. It's true that the majority population who apply to PT schools are not African Americans (whatever the reasons are). But I saw African American students in my school. I had an interview with an African American girl who got accepted. WE also had 20-30% people in our class who were immigrants and came to the US as adults. I have never observed any discrimination or favoritism towards them.

Having minorities in a program and not witnessing any discrimination/favoritism is not the same as being a program embracing diversity. Programs that truly care about diversity in their student body, profession, and patients they serve will stress this, as it is important. If they don't mention it, I'd stay away. I do think the area you are in geographically can also matter as you will likely be interacting with the community in clinical experiences. Unfortunately I have heard of outward racism and also more microaggressions that some students have faced in parts of the country. Go with your gut on what seems like a good fit, not something you can just tolerate.

Hey there! I would definitely look into the University of Utah as well. One of the big things the U strives for is diversity (and Salt Lake City in general is the most liberal, diverse, and amazing part of Utah! - a lot of people don't realize that.). Even on their website: "The University of Utah College of Health strives to promote diversity and inclusion among its students, faculty, and staff with the realization that diverse perspectives and life experiences strengthen our academic community in multiple ways", and look at life experience, education, culture, socioeconomic, and background in their application process.

I travelled out of state for a few interviews, and I was actually uncomfortable with how un-diverse some of the programs were - legit no students (or faculty) of color to be seen. Utah has a nice mix of everyone, surprisingly!! SLC is truly an amazing place, I'd give it a shot - or at least look into it!!

Having minorities in a program and not witnessing any discrimination/favoritism is not the same as being a program embracing diversity. Programs that truly care about diversity in their student body, profession, and patients they serve will stress this, as it is important. If they don't mention it, I'd stay away. I do think the area you are in geographically can also matter as you will likely be interacting with the community in clinical experiences. Unfortunately I have heard of outward racism and also more microaggressions that some students have faced in parts of the country. Go with your gut on what seems like a good fit, not something you can just tolerate.

You have a very good point. In this day and age most schools at least have a standard diversity blurb so if schools don't even have that its definitely worth noticing lol this is very good advice thank you!