Distal tubule absorbs sodium and calcium

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sabdul

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does sodium and calcium LEAVE the distal tubule and ENTER the blood stream? Or is it the other way around? (ie. do they enter the distal tubule to be secreted in the urine)

Members don't see this ad.

they move out of the renal tubule and into the vasa recta (i think thats what it is called?).

all secretion, from the capillaries into the renal tubules, occurs in the proxmial tubule.

Yes, they move out of the tubule. Into the peritubular space. It will then be taken up by the vasa recta if they are juxtamedullary nephrons. This is controlled by the renin-angiotensin / aldosterone systems.

Last edited:
from my understanding, distal tubule is responsible for secretion, so getting rid of the waste. so waste travels into distal tubule and go to pelvis.

but this is different from these answers, i can look it up..

from my understanding, distal tubule is responsible for secretion, so getting rid of the waste. so waste travels into distal tubule and go to pelvis.

but this is different from these answers, i can look it up..

edit : I looked it up and, distal tubule does selective reabsorption of NaCl but secretion of K+ and H+ ions,

so yea the Na+ enters the blood vein