Dissection work study vs pre study over the summer for a low C OMS-1 interested in psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Work study, pre study or chill

• Work study

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Pre study

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Chill

Votes: 15 78.9%

• Total voters

TragicalDrFaust

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m not a good student. I’ve gotten nearly straight C and low C’s at that. I’m leaning towards giving up the dissection work study (20 hours/week) and putting my efforts towards getting some extra board study in as well as making sure I have time to relax. I didn’t take time for myself over spring break and it had notable effects on my mental heath and school performance. I also have a research project for the summer which is more important to me and, I believe, better for applications.

The pros of the work study are that it pays and I find the work relaxing and fun.

Any thoughts? I could use insight on how “good” dissection would look on a psych, internal medicine or FM residency application. I‘m also curious about whether people found studying for boards between OMS-1 and 2 helpful and if so, how much? I was planning on studying 4-5 hours a day 4-5 days a week while my wife is at work. Is this little enough so that I can relax and recover over the summer? On the other hand, will that amount be sufficient to benefit my likelihood of passing?

Members don't see this ad.

Boards? It's pass fail bro. You can literally take 4 weeks after school ends and take it and pass, don't worry.

Also, the dissection seems good, maybe try to get a research paper out of it, if you can. No reason to study anymore during ur 1-2 summer, if there even was one.

If you're worried about not passing classes during second year, that's a different issue, and you need to talk to classmates etc to see what they did.

• Okay...
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think I would suggest to anyone who's barely able to maintain a C average to "take it easy". I know B students who studied for 6-8 weeks and couldn't pass, one failed, and had to retake.
I have a feeling that low C was a typo and OP meany "lowly".

OP do the Work-Study if you need money. Otherwise, the most important thing to do at this time is to find a mentor in Psych who can offer you clinical mentorship, a connection, +/- research.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, with low Cs you need to hit up Pathoma and start getting a general sense of what’s coming. You need to go ahead and start a sketchy anki deck too. You’re at risk of failing boards, which is just a very bad time.

Reactions: 2 users
I’d take it. 20 hours/week really isn’t much. We’re either talking about 4 hours a day or less than five days a week. If you don’t have any classes to take, that’s a really minimal time commitment. I would also study, though. Invest in a software like cramfighter and schedule it to get through all of Pathoma before your classes start back.

I personally found the dissecting volunteer work I did between M1-M2, where I also taught various health professions off my cadavers, to really cement my anatomy knowledge. Didn’t study anatomy again after this and it was my highest score on my level 1 as far as disciplines go. Even got pimped on a random nerve and its function during my first surgery rotation and nailed it, and got told I was one of the only students that ever gets it right.

Pro tip: buy a set of 3M 8247 particulate respirators or something similar. They have carbon in them and are rated for removal of organic vapors. It’s the only thing that knocked my formaldehyde-exposure pounding headaches and constant nausea out. Dissecting for 4+ hours a day 5 days a week is very different than popping a couple hours in the lab once per week.

I would do light studying and relax over summer. It's going to be easy to get burned out 2nd year. You can chill learn Micro/Pharm with sketchy/Anki and be in a really good spot when 2nd year starts. With P/F boards, it's easy to get complacent. Well, the exams are still a beast and failure is a real possibility like posters above said.

I have a feeling that low C was a typo and OP meany "lowly".

OP do the Work-Study if you need money. Otherwise, the most important thing to do at this time is to find a mentor in Psych who can offer you clinical mentorship, a connection, +/- research.
You liked my post @TragicalDrFaust but you didn't clarify whether you meant lowly or low C!