Displaying Active Interest to My Top Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conics98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of med students/applicants who say they "showed active interest throughout the year" when asked how they got into their #1 choice med schools. For my dream school, I have the following:
- 2 updates, one in October (personalized response from one of the deans) and one in January (semi pre-II LOI)
- attending an open house in November
- having my call redirected to the OTHER DEAN when I was just calling the admissions office for some more information back in late October. We talked about having a mutual love-hate relationship with Zoom, and then she said "If you give me your AMCAS ID, I can move your application to the front of our pile to review right now!"

Now it's late Feb and I haven't heard a thing. What's worse is that I hear they're almost done offering IIs. Idk how much more active I can get with my interest, I'm sure they know I love the school. Is there anything else I possibly do at this point? What do people successful with their top choices mean by "showing active interest throughout the year"?

Members don't see this ad.

If the dean said that they'd move your application to the front of the queue four months ago and you still haven't heard back, I think it's pretty unlikely for you to receive an II at this point (they've almost certainly your scored your application at least once already). I agree that you've done the most you can to show your interest in the school. There's not really much to lose by continuing to contact them, but I don't think it would make any difference at this point. Unfortunately, although I'm sure they've noted your interest in the school, it might not have moved the needle enough to send you an II. Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
If the dean said that they'd move your application to the front of the queue four months ago and you still haven't heard back, I think it's pretty unlikely for you to receive an II at this point (they've almost certainly your scored your application at least once already). I agree that you've done the most you can to show your interest in the school. There's not really much to lose by continuing to contact them, but I don't think it would make any difference at this point. Unfortunately, although I'm sure they've noted your interest in the school, it might not have moved the needle enough to send you an II. Congratulations on your acceptance and best of luck!
@Conics98 -- unfortunately, this^^^^^.

You really went way above and beyond to demonstrate your interest, and you got in front of the right people, TWICE. Their silence is screaming volumes. There is nothing more to do, and nothing to be gained by reaching out to them in February after nothing happened after a dean told you in October that your file would be moved to the front of the review queue.

The fact that some people have success does not mean that this tactic is the key to success. Otherwise, we'd all do it, and we'd all be attending our dream schools.

This only makes a difference on the margins. You are apparently not on the margin at this school, so a dean asking someone to take a look at your file did not move the needle for you. Happily, you have an A and will be attending med school in the fall, no matter what happens with the rest of your cycle. Congratulations!!!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@parfait00 @KnightDoc I appreciate it, my top choice still gives IIs throughout March supposedly, so I'm going to try sending one last LOI, even if it only amounts to me banging my head against a brick wall at this point. Rest assured, I do have my housing situation ready for the place I have an A if these efforts are in vain. Thankful that there was a school that took me without a second thought :)

Reactions: 1 user
@parfait00 @KnightDoc I appreciate it, my top choice still gives IIs throughout March supposedly, so I'm going to try sending one last LOI, even if it only amounts to me banging my head against a brick wall at this point. Rest assured, I do have my housing situation ready for the place I have an A if these efforts are in vain. Thankful that there was a school that took me without a second thought :)
You undoubtedly deserve it and are going to do very well. I am determined to love the one who loves me, rather than pining for those who aren't interested.

I hear a lot of med students/applicants who say they "showed active interest throughout the year" when asked how they got into their #1 choice med schools. For my dream school, I have the following:
- 2 updates, one in October (personalized response from one of the deans) and one in January (semi pre-II LOI)
- attending an open house in November
- having my call redirected to the OTHER DEAN when I was just calling the admissions office for some more information back in late October. We talked about having a mutual love-hate relationship with Zoom, and then she said "If you give me your AMCAS ID, I can move your application to the front of our pile to review right now!"

Now it's late Feb and I haven't heard a thing. What's worse is that I hear they're almost done offering IIs. Idk how much more active I can get with my interest, I'm sure they know I love the school. Is there anything else I possibly do at this point? What do people successful with their top choices mean by "showing active interest throughout the year"?
I strongly suspect that she was being sarcastic.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh well that's mean :(
Yeah, I very seriously doubt anyone with a human heart, who possesses the empathy the schools look for in us, and would presumably require in a dean, would actually take your call and then do that to you.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I very seriously doubt anyone with a human heart, who possesses the empathy the schools look for in us, and would presumably require in a dean, would actually take your call and then do that to you.
Okay I don't think it's this bad😅 she actually did say after that more or less that "the app cycle is long so just trust in the process and be kind to yourself" so even if she was being sarcastic and it was just some humor (with poor execution) that went over my head, I still believe the dean is a nice person. Even if I don't get in, I'll be recommending future people apply here because everything I saw and liked is still 100% real. I don't believe your #1s just stop being at least among your favorites if they don't have a seat for you. :)

Reactions: 1 users