Dismissed advice for reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Realtaulk

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
k

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was dismissed from pharmacy school after my first semester due to my grandmother being sick and just being worried about her all the time. I also am getting tested for learning disabilities because I do think that I might be lacking in some aspect even though I put in work. My question is: when reapplying how would I write this to the admissions committee without coming off as whiny? Any advice on how to go about this?
You do it the opposite of how you described it here. You were not dismissed for worrying about grandmother.

You were dismissed for (in some way you didn’t actually describe) not progressing satisfactorily through the first semester. Did you skip class? Fail tests? Act out of line?

Reactions: 3 users
If you get a second chance, worry less and study more. Loved ones may get sick/die/divorced/dx with terminal illness/{insert other life changing events here} while you're in pharmacy school. You gotta be mentally prepared for these events. Don't make excuses.

Why did they dismiss you? I thought for most schools, if you fail classes your first semester, they give you one more year to repeat. Did you fail every class or something?

I would include why this time, you will be different. Because it is likely someone close to you will be sick within the 4 years of your pharmacy school and they may be thinking you will just flunk out again as soon as that happens.

If you have a learning disability, is that something that can be fixed? Like ADHD?

I would be sure that you are ready if some school is willing to accept you. We had a student in our class that was kicked out of school for failing 2 years in a row but somehow managed to get accepted again. Guess what? She failed again and got kicked out. 3 years of her time and money wasted.