This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anubishead

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I'm wondering others' opinions on a topic I'm considering writing on for some of the 'additional comments' sections of secondaries. Essentially, I'm a Bio major and English minor, and my science GPA is a 3.7 from mostly A/A-'s, however, my cumulative GPA is a 3.6 because I found my English classes much more challenging and received mostly consistent B/B+'s in that department. I realize that this isn't a 'major slump' in grades though is certainly a weak point in my application, but also one I was happy to improve on by getting my higher english grades (including an A for the final class of my minor) as a junior/senior in college.

I had to work hard to improve my minor GPA in a competitive department, and also felt that I got a lot out of overcoming what was the biggest academic challenge I've faced thus far (really loved the classes too!). But I also know it can be unwise to highlight a weakness that isn't so glaring that it necessitates discussion. Thanks for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I'm wondering others' opinions on a topic I'm considering writing on for some of the 'additional comments' sections of secondaries. Essentially, I'm a Bio major and English minor, and my science GPA is a 3.7 from mostly A/A-'s, however, my cumulative GPA is a 3.6 because I found my English classes much more challenging and received mostly consistent B/B+'s in that department. I realize that this isn't a 'major slump' in grades though is certainly a weak point in my application, but also one I was happy to improve on by getting my higher english grades (including an A for the final class of my minor) as a junior/senior in college.

I had to work hard to improve my minor GPA in a competitive department, and also felt that I got a lot out of overcoming what was the biggest academic challenge I've faced thus far (really loved the classes too!). But I also know it can be unwise to highlight a weakness that isn't so glaring that it necessitates discussion. Thanks for your thoughts!
Take two of these please:
upload_2017-8-7_16-4-25.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Your gpa isn't weak but, even if it was drawing attention to such a diffencentcy is likely to come across as making excuses.